ELR What would you teach?

jpd676

To even have a chance at ELR, people need to be brilliant in the basics first. People need a solid shooting platform, quality rifle and optics especially. If they can hold a consistent sub moa group at close ranges, then they can start moving the distance and pushing the line. So, in my opinion, it all depends on your target audience; are you teaching people with strong skills already, or people that are beginners but want to go ELR? Based on that it would determine what I would teach.

milo-2

What do you consider ELR, what range?
There was a guy who kicked some serious butt at a 2K match with a Savage rifle, he had things covered, lol.
First I would say solid gear, rifle, range finder<big, your range finder is YOUR ruler, not someone else's or surveyed targets, optics.
2nd would be the importance of solid handloading techniques. Does no good to shoot at a 24" square at 2K if you have 3ft of vertical dispersion.
3rd, understanding terrain and winds associated with said is a must.
Once 1 & 2 are conquered, number 3 rules.

Nothing compares to experience though, rds down range in all conditions. But it can be costly, maybe even improbable also. I am sure we all recall our first attempt at 1K, probably a little wishing going on, maybe a hail mary too. But we all did it and now it is a walk in the park, most places we go.

Iamosoh

You actually start with the basics, so many folks are missing on the small things that add up at the end of the day and then you take it to the advanced levels that will be beyond some understandings, very educational for the experienced but yet everyone will take from it.

Its everything, rifle setup, understanding the scope and really knowing how to calibrate it, load preparation and development, using and truly understanding ballistic programs then onto shooter platform and communications within the team.

Something that has been mastered, experienced and proven that can be duplicated under any condition and under a time restraint when the crew and shooter is under pressure.

This is my opinion on this subject when ELR training comes up.

Cheers
Iamosoh

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce