Does "anyone" ever take Sectional Density into consideration!!

So let me pose another question. Is the 90 grain .224 SMK with an sd of .256 good to go on elk at 500 yards? For long range hunting you need energy, momentum, and bullet construction such that it can make use of those two things. If the BC sucks it will not have those components when it reaches the target. If it is not big enough and launched at a sufficient velocity it will not have those components when it reaches the target. If it does not have them it will not make a large enough wound channel do dispatch the animal in a timely fashion.

So let me pose another question. Is the 90 grain .224 SMK with an sd of .256 good to go on elk at 500 yards? For long range hunting you need energy, momentum, and bullet construction such that it can make use of those two things. If the BC sucks it will not have those components when it reaches the target. If it is not big enough and launched at a sufficient velocity it will not have those components when it reaches the target. If it does not have them it will not make a large enough wound channel do dispatch the animal in a timely fashion.
Nope but this far larger bullet with an sd of .24 wheew what a killer:D

let me pose another question. Is the 90 grain .224 SMK with an sd of .256 good to go on elk at 500 yards?

If it does not have them it will not make a large enough wound channel do dispatch the animal in a timely fashion.

In regards to clean kills...a guy that is dead now forgot his 300wby in his other truck and he realized when he reached back to grab it in a hurry...but his other was there...one shot at 300 yards...droped a six point bull in it tracks....22-250.....shot it in the back of fhe head....clean kill..yes..enough for a wound channel...apparently so.......
Maybe some people rely on a bullet too much and never learn to shoot their rifles.....

In regards to clean kills...a guy that is dead now forgot his 300wby in his other truck and he realized when he reached back to grab it in a hurry...but his other was there...one shot at 300 yards...droped a six point bull in it tracks....22-250.....shot it in the back of fhe head....clean kill..yes..enough for a wound channel...apparently so.......
Maybe some people rely on a bullet too much and never learn to shoot their rifles.....
Well, this is interesting!
Here in Australia, we shoot many Kangaroos under permit, I often would use a 222, 22-250, 22-250AI or 25-06 since my 300 was off being customised. Under the permit restrictions, head shots are mandatory and we often get audited regarding this.
Anyway, I hit a very large buck in the nose with my 25-06 and a 100gr Speer Hot Cor, it DID NOT penetrate past his upper jaw bone. It took an additional 2 chest hits, on the run (hop) I might add, to bring this fella down, in fact, it was a fence that stopped him.
I don't think the result would have been the same with a 22 of any discription.
Pound for pound, Kangaroos and feral cats here are the hardest to put down, they just soak up hits like nothing happened.

I'm glad your 22 got the deer, I normally don't use 22's on deer here, but the 22-250AI has had a work out on the Fallow deer here, they only weigh 100kg on the hoof (220lbs). The 25-06 gets a bang flop every single time on these deer.

Cheers.

You're assertion is that a low BC bullet can't possibly arrive at a distance that you to consider to be longrange with enough energy to get the job done. There is no way you can back that up. A round nose will absolutely arrive at those distances with the necessary energy if launched fast enough.

Once bullet touches flesh, BC is irrelevant, but SD and bullet construction carry on.

The problem of making the shot with a low BC bullet is a factor of skill, and is a whole other consideration that you can't possibly judge for someone else.

Last edited:
This myth needs to be dispelled. Bullets DO NOT kill from energy transfer, they DO kill by destroying tissue needed for life to continue.
A bullet, even those of large caliber, actually impart so little energy in such a short space of time, that it's practically over before it even started.
Yes, you can SEE the 'energy' as it ripples through muscle, skin or ballistic gel, BUT this is not what kills. Even a brain shot that is slightly off may not kill, let alone drop a large animal.

I still don't understand how people still believe a bullet that MAY impart as much energy as a baseball at 100mph is what kills an animal. An automobile that has many thousands more lbs/ft of energy does NOT always kill what it hits, does it?!

Cheers.
Well said! There is no such thing as knock down power. CNS disruption is the name of the game.

Someone way smarter than I is going to have to explain how exactly that bullet causes CNS disruption. I fully understand that CNS disruption is what causes death. I also fully understand that knock down power is a loose term used to describe CNS disruption. In other words knocking something down has nothing to do with killing it. I agree that the projectile causes the disruption. What I would like to know is how exactly a projectile is made to cause CNS disruption. Is it some mythical occurrence that has nothing to do with energy transfer and bullet design. Physics says that a projectile in flight has potential energy. If some of that energy is not expended on the target which affects the bullet changing shape how does the projectile cause CNS disruption. Why then is the entire industry recommending minimum foot pounds of energy in order for a given projectile to be adequate to dispatch a game animal. Case in point. Shot a living thing wearing a bullet proof vest at close range with a large projectile traveling at a high rate of speed. Massive potential energy. Projectile does not penetrate said vest yet the projectile transfers all it's energy at point of impact. If enough energy is transferred into the thing wearing the vest it will die from CNS disruption caused by energy transfer. The projectile however never entered the living creature.

Once bullet touches flesh, BC is irrelevant, but SD and bullet construction carry on.

BC is what gets the bullet on target at a given speed after the muzzle,it has a major role to play when the bullet hits flesh, especially when were trying to predict bullet function at a given range.

Someone way smarter than I is going to have to explain how exactly that bullet causes CNS disruption. I fully understand that CNS disruption is what causes death. I also fully understand that knock down power is a loose term used to describe CNS disruption. In other words knocking something down has nothing to do with killing it. I agree that the projectile causes the disruption. What I would like to know is how exactly a projectile is made to cause CNS disruption. Is it some mythical occurrence that has nothing to do with energy transfer and bullet design. Physics says that a projectile in flight has potential energy. If some of that energy is not expended on the target which affects the bullet changing shape how does the projectile cause CNS disruption. Why then is the entire industry recommending minimum foot pounds of energy in order for a given projectile to be adequate to dispatch a game animal. Case in point. Shot a living thing wearing a bullet proof vest at close range with a large projectile traveling at a high rate of speed. Massive potential energy. Projectile does not penetrate said vest yet the projectile transfers all it's energy at point of impact. If enough energy is transferred into the thing wearing the vest it will die from CNS disruption caused by energy transfer. The projectile however never entered the living creature.
When the target runs out of blood the CNS is disrupted.

I always thought energy had a role in it too, consider my Grandpa as an example. His official cause of death is listed as smoking but there were some other circumstances to consider.

When he was 94 he was walking down the stairs on the back balcony of a Brothel. Because there was ice on the steps he was holding his cigarette in his mouth so he could use both hands on the stairs railing. A puff of wind blew a spark from the cigarette into his eye and when he let go of the railing to rub his eye he slipped and fell down the stairs. He hit his head on a rock at the bottom of the stairs and died.

BC is what gets the bullet on target at a given speed after the muzzle,it has a major role to play when the bullet hits flesh, especially when were trying to predict bullet function at a given range.
So you are saying a bullets BC has a role to play AFTER smacking an animal at 2,000+fps? I have never heard that one.

Last edited:
"Fibers called nerves carry important messages back and forth between your body and your brain. That network -- your nervous system -- has two parts: Your brain and spinal cord make up your central nervous system. The nerves in the rest of your body make up your peripheral nervous system."

Hearts can beat temporarily after the brain stops transmitting...thats because the heart is ran by a very large nerve..the vagus nerve..direct synapse from the brain to the heart...pacemakers are placed into people (and animals whomever wants to spend that kind of money)..which is the device now controlling hearts beat....
If the brain is blown apart things Will stop..if the heart is blown apart things Will stop....just because the central nervous system is severed does not mean the heart or brain will cease to function....
Central Nervous System shutdown could take a long time to kill that animal...
Lung shots result in suffocation....
Which is more humane......

I don't think of sectional density at all.
I focus on using a bullet that has the weight, profile and construction to do the job and placing that bullet as accurately as precisely on target, as possible. Being a simpleton has worked very well for me, so far.

I don't think of sectional density at all.
I focus on using a bullet that has the weight, profile and construction to do the job and placing that bullet as accurately as precisely on target, as possible. Being a simpleton has worked very well for me, so far.
Since the caliber is a given for any particular rifle barrel. By considering weight, you are considering sectional density, whether you think of it that way or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts