Do You Own An AR15 Rifle?

• YES

Votes: 1,851 58.7%
  • NO

Votes: 927 29.4%
  • I am planning to get one

Votes: 373 11.8%

• Total voters
Sounds like you're on the right track on getting it finished up. Who are you going to have do the cerakote?

Sounds like you're on the right track on getting it finished up. Who are you going to have do the cerakote?
I was going to do it myself but since I'm getting Ross to do the barrel work too I'll have Ross's Gunworks in Dallas do it.

I've seen a lot of his work that was very good, and I've only heard one guy complain about it and he was a guy who insisted on picking his rifle up early, tossed it in a padded case and then got upset when he unpacked it at his hunting destination and found it had rubbed off in a couple of places.

Cerakote is just about as good as armor but you HAVE to let it cure before doing anything like that.

The other thought I'm toying with is just building another upper with a .800 straight contour to the gas block and then stepping it down past there to .725 and having the foreward portion fluted with six grooves, the covered portion with four deep grooves.

Everything I'm reading tells me that you really max out at about 20-22" as far as velocity gains go with that case.

Below is the STW. This is the same camo pattern I will eventually do on all of my rifles. I call it my "custom Mesquite Grassland Pattern".

Start with the lightest color (Sand) as the base coat and then stretch a camo net over it for the honeycomb pattern and apply the darker colors in stripes.

If I'd done the barrel on it the same as the stock and scope you'd have as hard a time picking it out in the picture as the bobcat!

Attachments

• 2253d1314221184-longest-bobcat-ever-stwbcataug11.jpg
    2253d1314221184-longest-bobcat-ever-stwbcataug11.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 2254d1314221184-longest-bobcat-ever-stwhalfcamoaug11.jpg
    2254d1314221184-longest-bobcat-ever-stwhalfcamoaug11.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 25
I just have the one I built and shoots less than 1.0 MOA with federal ammo.

Yep, I too have stepped in to the dark side. Built mine for short/mid-range (<300 yds) predator hunting.
16" bbl, 1:9
Leupold Mark AR 1.25-4x
I shot some cheap 55 gr fmj for the functional check and to get on paper at 100 yds.
I've got some 55 gr Hornady SP and Sierra 65 gr SPBT that I'm going to load up this week. If I can get 1.25-1.5 MOA accuracy I'll be a happy camper.

I have a gut feeling that Obama is about to reinstate the Clinton Assualt Rifle ban.

That will put an end to sales of AR type rifles....and...

Give Emanuel wood.....:)

I have a gut feeling that Obama is about to reinstate the Clinton Assualt Rifle ban.

That will put an end to sales of AR type rifles....and...

Give Emanuel wood.....:)

Here in the armpit of America, Massachusetts, along with a few other crap states, the ban was never lifted. While the context of the ban is truly ridiculous, it's not that big a deal, and sales in this state have been alive and well for many years. Basically, you can easily buy an AR but it won't have a bayonet mount, flash supressor, and +10 round mag. There are some other details as well, but overall, people buy and shoot them in large numbers. Unless you are planning a siege, you can take full advantage for sporting, and competitive use.In order for a manufacturer to sell in the state they have to have a Mass approved version. Since most manufacturers have these versions, they should adapt easily assuming they just reinstate the Clinton Ban. Most people don't understand the details of the ban even in Mass where yesterday every gunshop in the state was packed, with people buying up all available stock. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way condoning this useless, politically driven Ban. Also, I think it will be a lot more difficult to reinstate. The situation today with these rifles is a lot different then back in the 90's. There are millions of them that are in circulation being used for sporting and competitive purposes. Reinstating the Ban, if done, will be driven by politics, not rational thinking. IMHO.

Got my CM901 last month finally and my LE6940 and another 6940 upper to put on the CM901 when I want to shoot 223. Am thinking that these rifles days are numbered...

Greyfox, I agree without question. I believe it's not just about AR platforms, but all assault type platforms.

It would have been much more palatable (in the eyes of the public at least) to not call that particular type of rifle an assault rifle. Just the word assault conjures up less than wholesome thoughts in the eye of the public, in general....

The other issue is that there is a whole contingent of not only politically motivated individuals and groups out there that want to not only eliminate or severely curtail the assault type rifle, but eliminate or curtail the right of firearm ownership, no matter what type of firearm it is and really don't care about the Second Amendment or how it applies to the right to bear arms.

If they triumph in the end, forums like this will no longer exist, th sport we enjoy will no longer exist because there won't be any firearms legally (I say legal possession, not illegal) possessed by law biding citizens.

While I don't agree with every stand the NRA takes and I don't appreciate the constant pandering for donations, th NRA is still th best and most vocal opponent of the constant push to remove firearms from public possession.

Of course we can thank the media for whats transpired. They are the venue that sensationalizes the 'assault' type rifle. Me, I'd like to remove the word 'assault' from the description, entirely.

The terrible tragedy we have just seen and others like it are heartbreaking, but the fact is that they are the work of insane mad men. It sickens me to see politicians with the aid of the media immediately dive on the chance to blame guns like this… when these type of monsters are intent on murdering people they will; it could just as easily have been done with homemade bombs, a truck running over them as they are gathered in mass outside, poisons and on and on… to blame the tool is pointless; it was the sick individual madmen that are to blame for this. I don't know what the answer is to stop sick minds like this before they do these unfathomable acts but I do know that disarming America will leave us all standing like sheep waiting for slaughter as crime goes up and gov takes over more and more; this has been proven in many countries throughout history.
My heart and prayers are with the stricken families of Newtown…

Last edited:
Keep in mind that our 'opinions' aren't that of the media nor the public in general (who pay too much attention to the media in the first place).

We've become a nation of assumption, assuming (without due dillegence exercised) to what someone else says is so......

Consequently, the spin will be to remove or curtail the right of firearm ownership as far as the general public is concerned, if, in fact, it's germane to the issuses or not. It's the media spin (and to a lesser extent the wishes of politicians who aren't pro firearm.....

The current regime is all about curtailing those rights whether we agree with that or not and the Clinton assualt rifle ban reinstatment is a good start, just like the UN resolution curtailing firearm ownership, something that has already occured in th EU.

Be thankful you don't live in Germany. I have a good friend who lives in Mannheim. Under German proclimation, only the military and police can posess firearms unless it's one sporting firearm and to own even one involves a mountain of paperwork. He comes here to visit yearly and finds our preoccupation with firearms to be odd, because, over there, there aren't any owned by citizens, somthing he accepts as normal.

If, in fact, you (and I) didn't vote for the current President, he is still the President and we will abide by his mandates as citizens of this country.

I agree that the senseless killings (not just the kids but everywhere) have to stop. The answer to the issue escapes me. I don't believe that the answer is curtailment of ownership but thn I'm pro firearm. Problem is, there are many, many citizens who aren't.