Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle?

Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?

• YES - Of course

Votes: 2,019 72.8%
  • NO - wife/girlfriend won't let me.

Votes: 755 27.2%

• Total voters
Considering a 6.5 PRC...Just not quite sure who should build with what parts....But I'll figure it out.

Edit: Now thinking Defiance action, Bartlein tube and maybe a McMillen stock but haven't zeroed in and open to suggestions.

Last edited:
The only reason I voted no is I build my own. If it were an option, then I could vote differently. I build my own and leave nothing to chance.

If I build one for myself, that would still count, wouldn't it? I would like to build a Rem 700 L/A (I have one) with an Accurate Innovations walnut hunter stock (have one in AAA walnut) and a #5.5 Shilen 9 twist SS barrel crowned at 25", chambered in .280 Rem. I want to put on a good set of iron sights; a knob adjustable aperture rear, globe front, no scope, finish at around 7 1/2 lbs. I am waiting to see how cataract surgery goes before I commit. I used to shoot match rifle and service rifle out to 600 yds and really enjoyed it. I also used to hunt with a Garand.

I notice that I'm using the phrase "I used to...." a lot lately.

Tom
I applaud your intentions of our forefathers shooting equipment...it is a beautiful traditional way to hunt.
HOWEVER...
Shooting in poor lite conditions grows harder the age.

Having one built now. Light weight 6.5 Prc. Was thing 7Saum but my lack of reloading experience and the 6.5 Prc ammo I have already decided against it. Besides WT deer is almost all I hunt.

I have 3 customs now and 2 semi customs. They all shoot terrific. However, many manufacturers have gotten very good at producing guns that serve the purpose so well that I'm afraid the money spent is not justified anymore. Until 3 years ago, when I opened the safe, it was always 2 of the three customs that I took hunting. A primary gun and a backup. And as expected, they performed flawlessly. Then on a whim, I bought the least expensive 6.5 CM I could find. It was a Savage Axis that with the sale price and the rebate the cost came to $280 including the background check. 1st 5 shot group was 1/2 MOA!! The only mods I have done to that rifle is a lighter trigger spring. Then after hearing and reading so much about the 280 AI, I decided to get a Browning X Bolt with the ceracote finish. out of the box 5/8 MOA for 5 shots. My son in law now has one and I have a spare. They all perform well. My customs and semi customs do shoot a variety of loads well and typically do not require a lot of load tuning, however the 3 x bolts and the savage axis have done very well so far.

I agree. I have 2 custom also and shoot .5 or less on my good day. At 62 and a light stroke 10 1/4 lbs. just not fun to carry anymore. Bought a Springfield Waypoint in 6.5 cm last year and at 8.5 lbs rigged I love it!!! And shoots .75 to .50 with factory stuff. Still wanted one 7.5 lbs. for my main rifle now. Besides handing something special down to my granddaughter make me smile 😃

I plan to make up a .22-.250 for wifey. I have a slightly used 400 round #5 barrel, 7.7 twist & plan to have the barrel turned down to a #4 contour. I will also have the throat extended for use with 75 ELDM bullets. The action is a 1991 vintage Ruger M77 MKII that is a push feed & has been modified to be a single shot by JB weld aluminum follower on rails. The stock will be a Richard's roll over and I will shape to fit & cut with a shorter pull & install pad & plug up magazine well. Goal is to keep cost under $325. Single shot rifles work out well with ELDM bullets - unlikely point will be bashed up from magazine to chamber. Wifey shoots very well with a .223 now & will with new .22-.250 and both rifles have or will have well fitted lady type stocks. She likes to shoot clays at 500- & 3-inch steel at 300 - refuses to shoot rodents & such but that might change.

IMG_1453.JPG