Do we overvalue sentimental value of our guns?

I would rather pile them in the driveway and burn them all rather than think they went to anyone that wouldn't appreciate them. My wife knows she could sell them if she needed the money, she won't. Giving them to the right person now and having one say "Yeah, I killed a deer with your old .270 and it still shoots good" thanks. That would be icing on the cake.

I have always pictured some of the guns I own being passed down to my kids and my grandkids and their kids etc. family heirlooms you know? Recently I had two experiences that shook me to my core - two elderly gentleman that I knew from church and had great gun collections passed away. One about 6 months ago and one just last week. Wife and kids put all of their guns up for sell at liquidation prices. It was my understanding that both men had life insurance and had their homes paid off etc - I don't think they needed the cash, they would just rather have cash than dad and grandpas guns. Made me sick to my stomach and really got me thinking if we over value the sentimental value of our guns? What do you all think?

It really depends on the values instilled in the kids/grandkids. Two of my 3 sons are having a friendly arm wrestling match to see who gets which gun. They have inherited guns from both of the their grandfathers and it is important to them to preserve them - and use them.

I think we all have these concerns. I traded a cheap plastic pistol to a guy for a P17 enfield. It was drilled and tapped and I asked about the mounting system. He told me it was his great grandfathers and had actually been carried in the great war. This was after the guns had already changed hands back when you could just meet up and swap so there was no reason to make it up. He said he could ask his dad but his dad would be really mad about him trading it. You may not believe me but I actually tried to talk him out of it, he was set on having a small carry gun you could buy with a few days work.

I made the trade figuring he was going to trade it away anyways and it might as well go to someone who cared for it and its history. I feel bad for his family loosing something like that. I swore I'd give it back if his family ever came looking for it. Crazy how some folks put no value on their own history. My cousin was going to trade off a bunch of furniture from my grand parents before I rescued the pieces from craigslist.

When I go my boys will get my guns unless they dont deserve them which would be the true tragedy. Theres a few I'd be very serious about them keeping but some I wouldnt care about. I'd also likely gift a few to good people I meet along my journey if that happens.

I've considered giving them a lesser gun and seeing what they do with it. If they keep it and cherish it then I give them the good stuff. Just my current thoughts on it.

I have always pictured some of the guns I own being passed down to my kids and my grandkids and their kids etc. family heirlooms you know? Recently I had two experiences that shook me to my core - two elderly gentleman that I knew from church and had great gun collections passed away. One about 6 months ago and one just last week. Wife and kids put all of their guns up for sell at liquidation prices. It was my understanding that both men had life insurance and had their homes paid off etc - I don't think they needed the cash, they would just rather have cash than dad and grandpas guns. Made me sick to my stomach and really got me thinking if we over value the sentimental value of our guns? What do you all think?
Anything like gun or knives to be handed down to someone in my family is cutomized, engraving or etching with their name on it. Usually looks like a work of art. They get it when it's done, I want to see them enjoy it. I hope to die with nothing left to give.

One I'm almost done with for a family member.

Attachments

• 20190224_112650.jpg
    20190224_112650.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 180
  • 20190224_113759.jpg
    20190224_113759.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 181
One I'm almost done with for a family member.
That's sharp (pun intended)! I've always done custom metal fab, and welding, but never made a knife... Always wanted to get into that...Especially making my own damascus steel.

What do you charge for a hunting/utility camp knife, that's about 10" OAL, 3/16" thick flat-edge clever-style blade with a heavy taper to the cutting edge, full-width at the backbone and tang, and a figured/shaped carbon fiber G10 handle that's comfortable and sort of anti-slip in your hand.

Sort of like this blade (without the weird hoop on the end, of course)...

s-l300.jpg

But with this style handle...

combat-cleaver-custom-handmade-1-4-black-tactical-medic-knife-cutleryco-meat.jpg

That's sharp (pun intended)! I've always done custom metal fab, and welding, but never made a knife... Always wanted to get into that...Especially making my own damascus steel.

What do you charge for a hunting/utility camp knife, that's about 10" OAL, 3/16" thick flat-edge clever-style blade with a heavy taper to the cutting edge, full-width at the backbone and tang, and a figured/shaped carbon fiber G10 handle that's comfortable and sort of anti-slip in your hand.

Sort of like this blade (without the weird hoop on the end, of course)...

View attachment 124262

But with this style handle...

View attachment 124264
I got away from building them for money years ago. Turned my hobby into an obligation. Much less time with shooting and current job kind of puts a bind on it.
This knife for instance was alost 2 years before I got to this point.

Double edged sword. I dont really want my wife to know how much I have spent, and, I dont want her holding on to something that she has no idea of the market value.
I dont like even thinking of the garage sale on my Schmidt's.

I think the time will come where I will give them away while I'm still alive to whomever in my life I think will use them the way that I use them...that way we can enjoy them together. Also, they'll know that I won't give them to them if they're just going to put them in the safe. I've built them all to be used hard for their intended purpose, and that's what I expect those that inherit them to do with them.

I know I do...there was an old 22 auto that I carried for my grandfather when we coon hunted back in the late 60's. I'd still like to get that rifle. I did hunt ground hogs with it when I was old enough to use it.

I wanted my uncles two rifles my dad made for him. When he pasted last fall and my dad got them for me. Both will have zero value to.my girls. My oldest daughter is pretty savvy about guns so at least she will know what to get for them.

I have already ear marked guns I built for each girl, plus my first guns for my Grandson...so some have a home after I'm gone.

There is a bunch though that mean nothing to any one other than me. No telling what will happen to those guns.

At this time, with our current political climate I just hope that when I die the people still have guns to inherit!

I know I do...there was an old 22 auto that I carried for my grandfather when we coon hunted back in the late 60's. I'd still like to get that rifle. I did hunt ground hogs with it when I was old enough to use it.

I wanted my uncles two rifles my dad made for him. When he pasted last fall and my dad got them for me. Both will have zero value to.my girls. My oldest daughter is pretty savvy about guns so at least she will know what to get for them.

I have already ear marked guns I built for each girl, plus my first guns for my Grandson...so some have a home after I'm gone.

There is a bunch though that mean nothing to any one other than me. No telling what will happen to those guns.

At this time, with our current political climate I just hope that when I die the people still have guns to inherit!
There will be highlights on the 10 news when they come for mine guns if I'm still alive. My family has served and suffered from ww1 to present.? My one uncle survived the Batan Death March. Another one survived Omah beach. Me and my wife were at attention while the flag was being lowered at Omaha beach cemetery when I heard about the nfl kneeling for the flag. Last time I ever watched football!! There are a lot of things wrong in this country but disrespecting the men and women who died for you is beyond comprehension to me . Instead of a football uniform put on a soldiers uniform and go clear houses in a war zone and watch you team mates die then maybe you will understand!!!

Yea I know the feelings. I have pieces from all the way back to 1810 of my family, fouling piece that was converted from Flint to percussion, Tower musket with bayonett and burnside that my Great Great Grandfather carried in the Civil War, Winchesters my Great Grandfather had (including the 71 he used in Maine), my fathers guns and mine.

My son did care but his wife does not so that answers that.

Just hurts at times thinking about it. :-(

Just a sign of the times on many fronts. Sad. Makes sense to have these types of issues resolved before death. If kids or favorite relatives don't want the guns, or you don't feel comfortable with them, the NRA can be named in your trust / will. My current trust will do just that.
He can send them to me.:D

Recent Posts