Do I really need a 300 PRC?????

Most of us "need" another rifle like a fish needs a bicycle.
The 300prc is quite a step down in power from the WBY and would be more pleasurable to shoot as well as certainly being more affordable whether you are buying components and loading your own or shooting factory ammo.

I certainly would not get rid of the Wby, but as long as there's room in the safe for one more why not have both?
I read the first line and I just knew you were talking directly to me. Hahaha

Think of how much brass, bullets, powder, and primers you could buy for your nail driving .300 wby with the money you'd spend on a second .30 cal magnum, by your own admission a redundant purchase. Nothing against the .300 prc…but I'll probably never own one 😜. Long live the boring old belted magnums!

There is absolutely zero anything intriguing about the 300 PRC .. Comparing to established 30 caliber cartridges it has nothing of value to offer other than dependence on factory ammo .......

Hornady hype has created a buzz about an inferior cartridge design as some sort of superior "modern" design, nothing modern about it, sure the belt is gone but case diameter is skinnier than the WSM, RUM & NOS cases which we all know are FAR better in terms of case capacity and efficiency

Some guys cite the "military" adopting it for use, that means absolutely squat ! all that means is the .gov got the lowest bidder with the cheapest product that can be mass produced cheap enough so the manufacturer (Hornady) can still make a ton of $$$ .....

Some other guys will bring up Lapua brass in PRC ...... Well, it's also available in 300 Win Mag and better yet in 300 Norma Mag, which is a far superior cartridge to the PRC and you don't need to run it at 75K psi to get velocity higher than the 300 Win Mag

The 30 Nosler is a vastly superior case design vs the 300 PRC, it's shorter, fatter has similar case capacity and I can bet it will produce higher velocities if pumped up to 75K psi like the PRC boys do to show off some speed, only to tone it down to 300 WM vel. then proclaim how good brass life is ......,.

I've studied the PRC, Nosler, Norma cases and have determined that the bulk of the 300 PRC's popularity has nothing to do with it's performance vs the other two, most of it's fame is directly attributed to massive hype about it's supposed superiority as a long range cartridge ....

Lot's of folks got blindsided by bs from an unscrupulous manufacturer

There is absolutely zero anything intriguing about the 300 PRC .. Comparing to established 30 caliber cartridges it has nothing of value to offer other than dependence on factory ammo .......

Hornady hype has created a buzz about an inferior cartridge design as some sort of superior "modern" design, nothing modern about it, sure the belt is gone but case diameter is skinnier than the WSM, RUM & NOS cases which we all know are FAR better in terms of case capacity and efficiency

Some guys cite the "military" adopting it for use, that means absolutely squat ! all that means is the .gov got the lowest bidder with the cheapest product that can be mass produced cheap enough so the manufacturer (Hornady) can still make a ton of $$$ .....

Some other guys will bring up Lapua brass in PRC ...... Well, it's also available in 300 Win Mag and better yet in 300 Norma Mag, which is a far superior cartridge to the PRC and you don't need to run it at 75K psi to get velocity higher than the 300 Win Mag

The 30 Nosler is a vastly superior case design vs the 300 PRC, it's shorter, fatter has similar case capacity and I can bet it will produce higher velocities if pumped up to 75K psi like the PRC boys do to show off some speed, only to tone it down to 300 WM vel. then proclaim how good brass life is ......,.

I've studied the PRC, Nosler, Norma cases and have determined that the bulk of the 300 PRC's popularity has nothing to do with it's performance vs the other two, most of it's fame is directly attributed to massive hype about it's supposed superiority as a long range cartridge ....

Got a buddy that wants to build a 300PRC. I showed him this. I think he has second thoughts.

I have been debating on if I should buy a 300 PRC and get right to the point of doing it and then backing out???? It is a Seekins with a factory brake and the price I feel is very fair. Problem is, I have a Cooper in 300 Weatherby and it is a nail driver!! Just don't know if I need 2 300's like this. It is more of a want than a need. Talk me out of it and tell I'm good enough off, or talk me in to it and tell me everyone needs one???????
It is my humble opinion that owning more than one rifle in any caliber is jut duplication. I have a few rifles, but each and every one of them is in a different caliber, selected for different applications. I have a .22LR, .270, a .308, 30-06 and a 300 wm. I can use each and every one for deer hunting, and actually can use all of them for Elk, Moose and Black Bear. I draw the line and pick the 300 WM for anything larger than a black bear.

A 300 PRC is a very fine caliber depending upon the rifle that is shooting it. The only issue that I foresee with it is the availability of ammunition. 300 WM, readily available everywhere, .300 PRC not so much. Your choice is entirely up to you and your pocketbook.

Yup, that happens. the 6.5 Creedmoor is a current and primary example of this. Rifle manufacturer hype hoping to sell more rifles in conjunction with firearms writers hyping the inferior cartridge was a big blindside.

Cartridges are what they are. Ammunition is what it is. Rifles also are what they are and finally optics are like beauty in the eye of the beholder. It is all relevant, or irrelevant as each individual likes to see it. Select the right round for you . Select the right rifle for you based on what you are going to shoot it for, select the right scope for you, all within your budget and simply go to the range and have fun. Whether on the range for shooting without a definite purpose, just having fun or shooting competition it's all fun. I always shoot to improve MY score, the heck with anyone else. I shoot against myself, each an every round fired better than the last. "Only Hits Count," (LTC Lones Wigger, USAMU) Live it.!!

Recent Posts