I want, but do I really need a 300 WSM?

I Personally shy away from the WSM's because they are prone to feeding issues but I've had none with any of the above. If you're ever in my neck of the woods I'd let you shoot both the 6.5LRM and .260 just so you could get the feel of each.
The feeding issues were only when they were first released. I've been shooting a 300wsm for over 10 years. 4 different 300wsm and have never had a single feeding issue. And definitely do my fair share of shooting every year.

The feeding issues were only when they were first released. I've been shooting a 300wsm for over 10 years. 4 different 300wsm and have never had a single feeding issue. And definitely do my fair share of shooting every year.
X 2 but with 270WSM...a little dream gun! Well maybe this isn't completely true...the only feeding issues I've ever encountered are just about (90% of the time) when I feed a live round into the chamber......it comes back out Empty!

I Personally shy away from the WSM's because they are prone to feeding issues but I've had none with any of the above. If you're ever in my neck of the woods I'd let you shoot both the 6.5LRM and .260 just so you could get the feel of each.

Honestly the .264wm in an 8 twist would also be well worth considering along with the 6.5-06.
I guess I've been living under a rock for the last 2 decades because I've never heard of a Winchester CRF WSM or Browning WSM having feed issues. The only problems I've seen reported are with Remington 700 actions and clones. I've got a M70 300 WSM that was manufactured in the first year. It never fails to feed.

I absolutely agree with you on the .264 Win Mag and I disregard all the "barrel burner" old wives' tales. It doesn't burn a barrel any faster than 7RM or 300 WM.

I guess I've been living under a rock for the last 2 decades because I've never heard of a Winchester CRF WSM or Browning WSM having feed issues. The only problems I've seen reported are with Remington 700 actions and clones. I've got a M70 300 WSM that was manufactured in the first year. It never fails to feed.

I absolutely agree with you on the .264 Win Mag and I disregard all the "barrel burner" old wives' tales. It doesn't burn a barrel any faster than 7RM or 300 WM.
The feeding issues have been well known for quite a while. Many of the manufacturers have addressed them but they still have more issues than others.

I have heard about this, but never looked into it. I just never realized a switch barrel rifle could be a long range rifle with the needed accuracy. But I assume they are very accurate. Where do I go to find out about this? Any recommendations?
I built mine with a W.T.O switch lug 6.5 prc next barrel 300 wsm . The switch lug allows a quick change of the barrel by unscrewing the switch lug that takes the place of the original recoil lug . They are just as accurate as any other precision rifle , Talk too your gunsmith or call west Texas ordance , it's really a neat set up I built mine with no regrets , all you need too do on a rem 700 is change the recoil lug and have your barrel's headspaced too the new lug if you want multiple caliber barrels . I built mine on a Curtis Custom Axiom Action ,it's very precise and allows prefits without sending my action too the smith after the first barrel job

I had a 300 WSM a few years ago and sold it. Is it a good caliber? Yes. Is it needed? No. Not for me at least. The recoil on the gun itself and the expense to shoot it were not worth it IMO. I prefer my 7mm's over a 300 so I sold it. It's a great caliber, but not something I require in my arsenal. I also see people mentioning getting a break for the 300. The gun without a break is already loud. Putting a break on a 300 sounds like a cannon going off. Just my 2 cents on that.

I had a 300 WSM a few years ago and sold it. Is it a good caliber? Yes. Is it needed? No. Not for me at least. The recoil on the gun itself and the expense to shoot it were not worth it IMO. I prefer my 7mm's over a 300 so I sold it. It's a great caliber, but not something I require in my arsenal. I also see people mentioning getting a break for the 300. The gun without a break is already loud. Putting a break on a 300 sounds like a cannon going off. Just my 2 cents on that.
With the right MB the shooter won't even notice how loud it is.

It's those off to the sides that have to worry.

Everyone needs a 30 Cal, not everyone needs a WSM or a Nosler. Have you considered the 300-RCM? or even the 300-SAUM?

With the right MB the shooter won't even notice how loud it is.
This.
Felt recoil is so easily minimized with an effective brake, I'm always a bit surprised when these threads come up.
Easy solution, to a common problem. Whether it's ability to spot impacts in target shooting, or reducing uncomfortably heavy recoil in light rifles, brakes are fitted to probably 80% of all the bolt guns I own.

I have had a 300 WSM for 15 years now. I went with it for the reduced recoil then added a brake when I got into long range hunting to prevent muzzle jump. All the comments about taming it to a 243 is right on. I am shooting 178 eldx at 2950. I can shoot 20 rounds with just a t-shirt in the summer and no sore shoulder. Its all in how you set it up. Best of wishes on your recovery.