I want, but do I really need a 300 WSM?

Over the last 3 years I've had to have several surgeries on my neck, right shooting shoulder and bicept. All three of the Surgeons told me that I could not shoot anything more than a 22 for several months after each surgery and could start no earlier than 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery. So I put my 28 Nosler in the safe, but being defiant, I immediately started thinking about a lighter, less recoil, long range rifle. I was hoping I could find some way to squeeze hunts in between the surgeries, I hatched a plan to build a pair of long throated 7mm and 270 WSM rifles with extended magazine boxes and shoot 140 gr bullets. I know, it was foolish thinking I could drop down just a few foot pounds of recoil from my 28 Nosler and have it make a difference in preventing damage to my repairs, but what can I say I was defiant and looking for a miracle. I purchased a Hyskore DLX Precision Shooting Rest with Remote Triggering so I could do load development without imacting my healing, this is what I found. Both were extremely accurate with the Hornady ELD-X bullets, and Reloader 26 pixie dust. I got higher levels of performance than I had expected from looking looking at the various reloading manuals without excessive pressure. I later bumped the 7WSM up to 162 grain ELD-X and it outperformed my 7 Remington Mag with the same bullet. Perhaps it's time to do load development with the newer powders for my 7 Remington Mag. So bottom line, I fell in love with these fat short cased WSMs. Now I'm considering the 300 WSM with a longer throat and magazine As I said I don't need it but I want one. Your thoughts?

Over the last 3 years I've had to have several surgeries on my neck, right shooting shoulder and bicept. All three of the Surgeons told me that I could not shoot anything more than a 22 for several months after each surgery and could start no earlier than 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery. So I put my 28 Nosler in the safe, but being defiant, I immediately started thinking about a lighter, less recoil, long range rifle. I was hoping I could find some way to squeeze hunts in between the surgeries, I hatched a plan to build a pair of long throated 7mm and 270 WSM rifles with extended magazine boxes and shoot 140 gr bullets. I know, it was foolish thinking I could drop down just a few foot pounds of recoil from my 28 Nosler and have it make a difference in preventing damage to my repairs, but what can I say I was defiant and looking for a miracle. I purchased a Hyskore DLX Precision Shooting Rest with Remote Triggering so I could do load development without imacting my healing, this is what I found. Both were extremely accurate with the Hornady ELD-X bullets, and Reloader 26 pixie dust. I got higher levels of performance than I had expected from looking looking at the various reloading manuals without excessive pressure. I later bumped the 7WSM up to 162 grain ELD-X and it outperformed my 7 Remington Mag with the same bullet. Perhaps it's time to do load development with the newer powders for my 7 Remington Mag. So bottom line, I fell in love with these fat short cased WSMs. Now I'm considering the 300 WSM with a longer throat and magazine As I said I don't need it but I want one. Your thoughts?
I have a similar problem. Hunting elk in 2020, I fell on an icy two track and hit my head hard. Once the stars stopped swirling around, I got up and walked it off. Five days later I was in the hospital having suffered a stroke. When I hit my head, my brain rattled around in my skull tearing two arteries. A year later after the tears have healed, I have been advised to not shoot anything over a 22. My go to rifle is a 300wsm with 190 accubonds so I'm in the same boat. Just bought a 270wsm and I'm planning to shoot 150 accubonds in it. As has been stated here several times, life is too short to hang up my guns. I hope going smaller and lighter will keep me hunting for as long as I can make it up the mountain.

I have a similar problem. Hunting elk in 2020, I fell on an icy two track and hit my head hard. Once the stars stopped swirling around, I got up and walked it off. Five days later I was in the hospital having suffered a stroke. When I hit my head, my brain rattled around in my skull tearing two arteries. A year later after the tears have healed, I have been advised to not shoot anything over a 22. My go to rifle is a 300wsm with 190 accubonds so I'm in the same boat. Just bought a 270wsm and I'm planning to shoot 150 accubonds in it. As has been stated here several times, life is too short to hang up my guns. I hope going smaller and lighter will keep me hunting for as long as I can make it up the mountain.
Make a switch barrel out of your 7wsm and shoot light for caliber monos out of your 300wsm . Put a good brake on it , the only cost you have is the 300 wsm barrel , in case it doesn't work out . At least your in the 30 cal game .

Get it! Every house needs NICE ART ( incase you find it too much). Heck...our part time Drama teacher now highly qualified Prime Minister has filled the homes here in Canada with new Art collections! They used to be valuable guns!
I consider my firearms to be "functional art with a purpose".

You guys can keep your PM, we'll even send him a senile fool to help as soon as he becomes available. :D

You should probably seriously consider a milder 6.5, a good suppressor and a mercury recoil reducer.

You wouldn't want a repeat of the CVA to screw up a dream hunt.

That's my thought as well. Just keep on doing it and until we can't do it anymore. Sorry to hear about your fall.I guess it can happen to any of us. I just hope you continue to recover, and are able to do the things you enjoy.

Make a switch barrel out of your 7wsm and shoot light for caliber monos out of your 300wsm . Put a good brake on it , the only cost you have is the 300 wsm barrel , in case it doesn't work out . At least your in the 30 cal game .
I have heard about this, but never looked into it. I just never realized a switch barrel rifle could be a long range rifle with the needed accuracy. But I assume they are very accurate. Where do I go to find out about this? Any recommendations?

I have heard about this, but never looked into it. I just never realized a switch barrel rifle could be a long range rifle with the needed accuracy. But I assume they are very accurate. Where do I go to find out about this? Any recommendations?
"Blaser".

Properly put together with precise components a switch barrel rig can be as accurate as any other rifle you'd carry.

You should probably seriously consider a milder 6.5, a good suppressor and a mercury recoil reducer.

You wouldn't want a repeat of the CVA to screw up a dream hunt.
What's your recommendation? A 6.5 Creedmoor or a 6.5 PRC? One of my drugs is velocity. I love rifles/cartridges that produce 3100+ ft per second velocity with high ballistic coefficient bullets. Perhaps now is the time to reevaluate that goal.

What's your recommendation? A 6.5 Creedmoor or a 6.5 PRC? One of my drugs is velocity. I love rifles/cartridges that produce 3100+ ft per second velocity with high ballistic coefficient bullets. Perhaps now is the time to reevaluate that goal.
I hate to say anything nice about the Needmore.... .:D

I've been shooting the 260 Rem now off and on for ten years or so and really like it for anything out to about 500yds. I'll shoot them a bit further for pigs though.

The 6.5PRC is a substantial improvement over the Needmore and .260 velocity wise and if you want a factory standardized 6.5 is the way I would go today.

If you want to walk on the wild side and still have very mild recoil believe it or not the 6.5LRM I shoot is amazing and not enough recoil to scare a six year old girl.

My next 6.5 though is going to be a 6.5-300PRC or some other version of a shorter necked (than the LRM case) 6.5-375Ruger which is basically what the 6.5-300PRC is.

You give up a fair bit of velocity with the PRC and the milder 260 and Needmore but honestly if you're not shooting beyond 600yds neither you nor the critter in your sights will notice the difference other than in felt recoil.

I Personally shy away from the WSM's because they are prone to feeding issues but I've had none with any of the above. If you're ever in my neck of the woods I'd let you shoot both the 6.5LRM and .260 just so you could get the feel of each.

Honestly the .264wm in an 8 twist would also be well worth considering along with the 6.5-06.

We have a plethora of really good options available today in the 6.5's and an endless supply of really quality bullets to feed them not to mention good supplies of factory ammo for the Cm, 260, and PRC.

Personally I was amazed at how well the little 260 performed on all game. When I first got mine I shot them exclusively for 2 years because I wasn't buying into the 6.5 Hype. I was pleased to find out how wrong I was and they are slowly taking over my safe one, by one.