Do I really need a 6.5saum?

nctta

I have a great shooting 7saum built off Winchester m70. I have a SS model 700 in 300saum that I'm thinking about rebarreling in 6.5saum. Is there any real reason to do it or should I keep the 300 as a good bridge between the 7saum and my 338win?

Just out of curiosity, what do you need a bridge between these cartridges for?
I have always thought that either a 6.5 mm or 7mm cartridge and a .338" respectively do everything you can ask for in flat trajectory/mild recoil and hard hitting shy of dangerous game hunting.

ps: orthography

I don't really NEED the bridge but I enjoy planning rifle builds so the question is really do I go 6.5 or 300 saum. I guess I should edit the title and remove "need"

I also have a 7 saum, built off of a Browning A-Bolt.
And I have very nearly shot the #4 barrel off of it.

So I was thinking of a new tube in 26 wissum, but a 6.5 saum sounds interesting.

Just one question, where we gonna get all the saum brass for these?
I haven't been able to buy saum brass since 2009.
Seems like wssm brass is easier to get. :D
I also shoot a 25 wssm.

Or I could build a 6.5-284, because that brass is really easy to get.
And my 284 brass fits well in my saum/ wsm mag.

Hmmmmm.

I have 600 pieces of Norma 300saum and 360 pc of 7saum so brass isn't a concern.

That's a great reason I do understand :D
On SnipersHide there were several threads about the 6.5 saum from GA Precision. They claimed to get 3200 fps with Berger 130s out of a 23" barrel and a barrel life of 3000+ with light H1000 loads. Sounds persuable to me. Weren't there as many legal obstructions as are in Germany, this would be the 6.5 of my choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.