Do I really need a 300 PRC?????

onetohunt

I have been debating on if I should buy a 300 PRC and get right to the point of doing it and then backing out???? It is a Seekins with a factory brake and the price I feel is very fair. Problem is, I have a Cooper in 300 Weatherby and it is a nail driver!! Just don't know if I need 2 300's like this. It is more of a want than a need. Talk me out of it and tell I'm good enough off, or talk me in to it and tell me everyone needs one???????

I have a 300 RUM and a 2 PRCs (6.5 and 300) Love all 3. But have started a new love affair with my Edge.

I have been debating on if I should buy a 300 PRC and get right to the point of doing it and then backing out???? It is a Seekins with a factory brake and the price I feel is very fair. Problem is, I have a Cooper in 300 Weatherby and it is a nail driver!! Just don't know if I need 2 300's like this. It is more of a want than a need. Talk me out of it and tell I'm good enough off, or talk me in to it and tell me everyone needs one???????
You are asking the wrong question...its not a question of need...its a question of WANT! want one? get it...

IMHO, if the Cooper would shoot 200gr+ pills - I probably would not bother with a 300 PRC. The first 300 PRC I had would not shoot anything less than 205gr elite hunters or Hammer 199s' decent. It was 1:9 twist.

Is your Cooper 1:10"?

Want leads me to get a lot of things I am happy for later. For me the only thing these two have in common is bullet diameter. 300PRC is like a infected hangnail on a 300WBY. You can limp around with it for days and it will never be anything more than a pain leaking puss while the 300WBY walks it through the pig crap every day. I may have shown my cards on this one.

Want leads me to get a lot of things I am happy for later. For me the only thing these two have in common is bullet diameter. 300PRC is like a infected hangnail on a 300WBY. You can limp around with it for days and it will never be anything more than a pain leaking puss while the 300WBY walks it through the pig crap every day. I may have shown my cards on this one.

Last edited:
I see no advantage to a PRC.
I have 5 300WM's, all on actions that utilise a 3.6" or 3.7" mag box, so the PRC's extra length is no advantage.
My RUM, with a 4" Wyatt's box is another level all together. I am getting insane velocities and just started testing with H50BMG. Temps are a bit extreme at the moment so I have stopped doing load development. 39°C yesterday and expected to be 40°C today.

Cheers.