Do I need another 300 Win Mag

3shooter

Do I need another 300 Win Mag? I just got a killer deal on a new Trijicon AccuPower Rifle Scope 34mm Tube 4.5-30x 56mm. I have been thinking about buying the new Browning X-Bolt Max in a 300 Win Mag to put my new scope on.

I have also thought about the 300 Norma mag or 300 Win Mag with a Defiance Action with a heavy barrel in something like MPA chassis. I just don't know if I want to spend that type of money right now. I just don't get to shoot as much as I would like.

I'm mostly going to shoot steel with it. I have a Browning X-Bolt Pro in 300 Win Mag as my go to hunting rifle.

Reloader 26 has given me some outstanding results in the 300 Win Mag. Hornady 225 ELD-M @ 2850 and Hornady 165 GMX @ 3417.

My question is do I stay with the 300 Win mag. Or try a different or newer 30 Cal? I don't know if I would be really gaining a whole lot over the Win Mag, your thoughts and expertise is appreciated. I do want to stay with the 30 Caliber.

I have 4 rifles in 300WM, plus 6 barrels for F-class in 300WM.
Even have a Barrel with 1-13" twist sitting here rough chambered in 300WM @ 32" unfinished size.

I think I like this cartridge a little bit.

Cheers.

In my experience few people NEED any gun.

Question is do you want another .300 win mag. There's plenty of options that work out there if not. Like a .300 Norma pushing 230 gr hybrids at 3100. Other than that the win mag is a fine cartridge for most jobs.

Yes. I'm a firm believer in never having enough.300 win mags. Which reminds me I should really start shopping for another one.

I can't think of a lot of reason(s) to have more than one rifle in the same chambering. Even having the same model rifle in multiple calibers is boring.
That Browning Max Long Range is a nice looking rifle. If you wanted to stay with .30 cal., they're available in .300WSM, and to up the performance, .30 Nosler and .300 RUM.
I think Broz over on LRO did a caparison with the Nosler and WinMag. If I'm not mistaken he chose/stayed with the WinMag as the other didn't offer that much more performance from what he was already getting w/his WinMag. Can't remember if he was using factory (HSM) or reloads.
Nosler shows the WinMag w/200gn bullet having 77.4gns case capacity (H20) and the Nosler having 87.5gns. I would think that's enough to show a ballistic edge leaning favorably toward the Nosler.
I really like my WinMag but there's always room for a bigger .30!

Thanks for all the awesome input. Now I need 2 new rifles. I think I will buy the X-Bolt Max. in 300 win mag. If I can find one. I will also start building a 300 Norma with Defiance Action and have an extra barrel chambered in .338 Lapua for the same action. I do have 3 other 300 win mags and 300 rem ultra mag, all set up for hunting. I just wanted something set up for long range steel in 30 cal.

Of course you need another. I have two 300 win mags, one 300 WSM, two 300 Wby's and 300 H&H.

If I ran cross a deal on another I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

Ya only live once and the older you get the faster time flys by.

Thanks Billy