Detached suppressor ?

Some visual aids may help:

You can see the gasses exiting the muzzle and the circular pressure wave from the explosion. You can also the 'pressure cone' from the bullet itself.
wqzoj2k1gfm9oex22nhmpmkqo1_500-jpg.145939

Here's one of just a projectile
upload_2019-6-21_13-39-47.jpeg

From the position of shooting a rifle, you are in a relatively unique location in that you are inside the pressure cone. If you're downrange, the cone passes across your location, and you experience the sound waves.

Practically speaking, the sonic boom from a tiny 6.5 projectile shouldn't matter nearly as much as the explosion of ignition in the context of a remote mounted suppressor though, right ?

So, what I'm gathering is what I thought I knew, I didnt necessarily know about an object going super sonic. Hey, if we stop learning, we stop growing. I consider myself a pretty fart smeller, but I guess observed knowledge sometimes breaks down in the realm of objects moving too fast to see.

Let's avoid bringing up the speed of light:eek:

Practically speaking, the sonic boom from a tiny 6.5 projectile shouldn't matter nearly as much as the explosion of ignition in the context of a remote mounted suppressor though, right ?
A qualified yes. All depends on bullet size/speed/atmospherics. Likely you wouldn't hear the bullets sonic crack from more than 100ish meters of the direction of fire. (That is totally a guess on the distance)

So, tying this all back into the original topic, if the OP fires his gun through his home-made 'baffle' system, but does so 8 minutes after the sun fizzes out, his neighbors probably aren't going to hear his gun at all AND they won't really care if they do hear it because, well, there's no more light on earth to see who did what. Nice! I think we've covered this. (And let's pray a jet doesn't fly over going supersonic just as the OP fires, or he's really gonna catch hell for the noise his gun [didn't] make.)

There, sea2summit was TOTALLY on topic this whole time! Don't ban him...'kay?

The real question is, in the last 8 minutes of somewhat normal life on earth , would my 6.5 bullet make any noise that a tree falling in the wood would notice ?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.