Detached suppressor ?

I'm pretty confident the sonic boom doesn't continue to generate as the bullet travels down range . The sound doesnt just disappear, but the boom is a one time thing at the moment the bullet breaks the sound barrier. If you can block the sound wave from the sides, the boom should be much quieter on the other side of the barrier, but still full level in any direction that isn't baffled.

The sonic "boom" or crack is caused by the bullet traveling faster than the speed of sound, it can be heard anywhere the bullet is supper sonic not at the instant it breaks it...which is probably somewhere in the first 10-14" it travels down the barrel.

The sonic "boom" or crack is caused by the bullet traveling faster than the speed of sound, it can be heard anywhere the bullet is supper sonic not at the instant it breaks it...which is probably somewhere in the first 10-14" it travels down the barrel.

This. The boom happens the entire distance the bullet travels until it drops subsonic.

I just cant see this the way you two are seeing it. Have you ever watched a fighter jet break the sound barrier? I have many times. There is a ground shaking sonic boom, then the sound of a jet hauling butt ! The same happens when anything breaks that barrier. The initial boom can be heard like its gonna knock you off your feet , but it's not a constant series of booms, or a long drawn out boom . Once it breaks the barrier, it's just supersonic. The breaking of the barrier is when the noise happens.

If what your saying was true, the sound of a rifle going off would continue to be just as loud as a bullet passed by you at 800 yds. That isn't the case. You hear a whizzing noise come by you, then a muted boom in the distance as the sound of the fired gun reaches you.

If what your saying was true, the sound of a rifle going off would continue to be just as loud as a bullet passed by you at 800 yds. That isn't the case. You hear a whizzing noise come by you, then a muted boom in the distance as the sound of the fired gun reaches you.

I've been shot at near that distance and trust me there is a crack, and at that distance you often do not hear the report. The bullet will continue to crack until it falls below supersonic speed at that elevation/climate conditions.

Feel free to research how braking the sound barrier works.

Last edited:
I just cant see this the way you two are seeing it. Have you ever watched a fighter jet break the sound barrier? I have many times. There is a ground shaking sonic boom, then the sound of a jet hauling butt ! The same happens when anything breaks that barrier. The initial boom can be heard like its gonna knock you off your feet , but it's not a constant series of booms, or a long drawn out boom . Once it breaks the barrier, it's just supersonic. The breaking of the barrier is when the noise happens.
Face->Palm

I highly doubt you ever saw a jet break the sound barrier and you probably stared at the sky for a long time in the direction of the engine sound before possibly catching sight of the jet.

I grew up in a fly zone for Warner Robin AFB as a child , so yes sir, many times. I also worked 1/2 mile from Warner Robin's AFB for 14 yrs as an adult and on that table top flat ground , you can see jets on maneuvers at great distances, and even though our fly boys aren't suppose to break the barrier over population, they still do , OFTEN.
As far as being shot at, no, not intentionally shot at as far as I know. Bullets whizzing by my head, hearing the muted crack, then the guns report, yes, at least a half dozen times. That muted crack isn't a loud boom like you hear at the gun though, and hardly a concern in the context of this thread .

I think you're confusing the 'muzzle blast' with the sound of a super sonic object. When you are shooting a rifle, you hear the muzzle blast (explosion), but you do not hear the 'sonic crack' of a bullet.

Bullets/planes/other create sound waves as they travel. If the object is slower than the speed of sound, you can hear the object coming (i.e sound waves are moving faster than object). When an object moves faster than the speed of sound, the sound waves build up behind the object, and you experience the sound waves in a compressed duration (think of the water waves created by a boat).

For your reference of a fighter jet, once a jet breaks the sound barrier, it doesn't somehow become quieter. Those soundwaves are still created and still need somewhere to go. The jet is just simply perceived as quieter from a static reference point relative to the passing soundwaves.

It's also not fair to compare bullets and planes since planes actively generate additional noise as part of the mechanism that keeps them supersonic.

I grew up in a fly zone for Warner Robin AFB as a child , so yes sir, many times. I also worked 1/2 mile from Warner Robin's AFB for 14 yrs as an adult and on that table top flat ground , you can see jets on maneuvers at great distances, and even though our fly boys aren't suppose to break the barrier over population, they still do , OFTEN.
As far as being shot at, no, not intentionally shot at as far as I know. Bullets whizzing by my head, hearing the muted crack, then the guns report, yes, at least a half dozen times. That muted crack isn't a loud boom like you hear at the gun though, and hardly a concern in the context of this thread .

If you hear a whiz then a crack then a boom the bullet is already subsonic. You hear the bullet go by, then you are hearing the crack of the sound waves overlapping but not the same sound caused by breaking the sound barrier, then the report of the rifle. In these cases the report of the rifle is actually catching up to and can pass the bullet.

Similarly the sonic booms you're hearing around Warner Robin is the overlapping of the sound waves as something approaches you at nearly the speed of sound. Not saying they don't fly super sonic but there are many rules and aside from the pilots that draw penis' in the sky most pilots are going to follow the rules because they want to continue to fly.

The sequence of events
Face->Palm

I highly doubt you ever saw a jet break the sound barrier and you probably stared at the sky for a long time in the direction of the engine sound before possibly catching sight of the jet.
You see a silent jet streak by, followed by the sound of the jet well behind it, if you see the jet after it's gone super sonic. You would be wasting your time looking for a jet after you hear it.

I think you're confusing the 'muzzle blast' with the sound of a super sonic object. When you are shooting a rifle, you hear the muzzle blast (explosion), but you do not hear the 'sonic crack' of a bullet.

Bullets/planes/other create sound waves as they travel. If the object is slower than the speed of sound, you can hear the object coming (i.e sound waves are moving faster than object). When an object moves faster than the speed of sound, the sound waves build up behind the object, and you experience the sound waves in a compressed duration (think of the water waves created by a boat).

For your reference of a fighter jet, once a jet breaks the sound barrier, it doesn't somehow become quieter. Those soundwaves are still created and still need somewhere to go. The jet is just simply perceived as quieter from a static reference point relative to the passing soundwaves.

It's also not fair to compare bullets and planes since planes actively generate additional noise as part of the mechanism that keeps them supersonic.
Would you not hear both the sound barrier being broken as well as the explosion of the powder charge going off , just as one noise ?
I guess my question here is, how loud would we expect the sonic boom from a rifle to be ? Where exactly would we expect to hear the sonic boom in the sequence of a rifle going off.
I know from personal experience that a rifle shot from a long distance sound like it was shot from a long way away . That being said, I'm not getting how a sonic boom continues to follow the projectile. Unless of course, the sonic boom from a rifle isn't much of a noise to be heard to start with.

Would you not hear both the sound barrier being broken as well as the explosion of the powder charge going off , just as one noise ?
I guess my question here is, how loud would we expect the sonic boom from a rifle to be ? Where exactly would we expect to hear the sonic boom in the sequence of a rifle going off.
I know from personal experience that a rifle shot from a long distance sound like it was shot from a long way away . That being said, I'm not getting how a sonic boom continues to follow the projectile. Unless of course, the sonic boom from a rifle isn't much of a noise to be heard to start with.
You're thinking about it wrong, the sonic boom does not follow the projectile, the sonic boom is made by the projectile. So very rough range estimation for "crack to bang" is teach yourself to count to six in one second. When you hear the crack start counting and the number you get to is the distance x100 meters to the shooter. Past 600 m there are many variables but mostly the bullet is slowing down and the sound is maintaining or catching up with the bullets speed so if it's still super sonic at 1k maybe you count to six and get the bang but the weapon is still 1k away if that makes sense. What most people think is a sonic boom is just the sound waves (sound of the engine for example) piled on top of each other because whatever is making the noise is traveling toward whoever is listening and the sound changes from the drone of an engine to a loud noise your brain can't identify then if it's coming at you really fast its a boom. A sonic boom is the actual shockwave created by something traveling faster than the sound waves (really the air) can get out of the way.

Here, she's a lot more fun to watch explain it:)

So, what I'm gathering is what I thought I knew, I didnt necessarily know about an object going super sonic. Hey, if we stop learning, we stop growing. I consider myself a pretty fart smeller, but I guess observed knowledge sometimes breaks down in the realm of objects moving too fast to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts