Detached suppressor ?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by 5.56×250, Jun 19, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. 5.56×250

5.56×250 Well-Known Member

That is funny stuff right there ! Chuck must be in the air today ! Similtanious Chuck jokes .

2. Frog4aday

Frog4aday Well-Known Member

Boom! 5.56X250 drops the mic.
    Thank you people. He's here all week.
    Remember to tip your waitress.
    <Too funny!>

3. 5.56×250

Haaaaa!

4. DSheetz

DSheetz Well-Known Member

I think this was kind of interesting to read I know first hand if you hear a crack followed by a wizz then a boom your nearly bought it . So hit the dirt and figure where it came from so you can return fire your in a fire fight .

5.56×250 and Frog4aday like this.
  5. 5.56×250

Around here that just means rifle season for deer is in. It's the same reason I quit rifle hunting 30 some years ago. For many years, I just bow hunted and on archery only tracts of land.
    Cant draw a bow anymore , so I'm back out there listening for the wiz bang and keeping my prayers caught up .

Frog4aday likes this.
  6. 5.56×250

My daughter found a flat sided FMJ in our pool a couple months ago ! Looked like it was a ricochet off something hard. I used pliers to attempt to make it somewhat round so I could guesstimate caliber. Best I can tell it came from a good ol 7.62x39 . A lightweight 30 cal fmj . No idea where it came from. We dont even have a 30 cal anything that we have shot an FMJ from since we moved out here.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  7. DavidleeCole

DavidleeCole Well-Known Member

Around 690 yards is 10 acre by 1 acre wide

8. DavidleeCole

DavidleeCole Well-Known Member

I have built a shooting range on my place in the country the folks around dont mind the noise some want me t sight in their deer rifles and most want to use it. I get old tires give to me by the local tire shop ad stack them on there side head high and two rows deep it stops magnum rounds. The box idea would work but you may want to build it a square with all walls and put a round hole in the front to shoot through much like a sniper's hole. And I would build vents in the bottom to let out the compression of the shot ad still pad it. I like my range very much and it makes statement to would be wrong doers but tells everyone that their is guns here but that's their choice. As far as noise I dont want the law called for gun shots and have to deal with that so if you have disgruntaled neghibors I would take the extra steps to keep them out of your business

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    5.56×250 likes this.
  9. 5.56×250

I do like to shoot at my home , and that's what this will be if the wifey wants to go through with the devorce . Nothing like gunfire coming from a place on a regular bases to deter would be thieves. Especially once the word gets out that the crazy old man that lives there is a home body:D

10. TX Badger

TX Badger Well-Known Member

I was considering the same thing. I was thinking about hanging carpet remnants as baffles in a box. I like the tire idea.

What do you guys think about stuffing the tires with insulation and then sandwiching carpet between each tire to make baffles? I'd think if you kept the holes in the carpet small enough and the muzzle was inside the contraption the concussion wouldn't be too bad. If course everything would have to be flame retardant or you would start a tire fire.

11. Dog Rocket

Dog Rocket Well-Known Member

Many in this thread have complained (and rightly so) about back blast from the "suppressor". The reason is that if you make the hole big enough to see through, then it is also big enough to bleed blast forces back to you.

If you make the hole tall and skinny at the shooters end, then you can still see just fine but the hole won't let near as much back blast reach the shooter. The hole at the muzzle end can be slightly larger to give a better field of view and some latitude for left to right movement.

I was watching a documentary about Swiss target shooting on youtube somewhere. This was a covered range in an urban area and that is how every one of their shooting positions were constructed.

12. 5.56×250

I've been rolling that issue around in my head. I think a thick , 1/4", piece of plexiglass with an appropriate sized slot cut in it for the barrel movement on recoil, would give protection against muzzle blast and still give the field of view needed to feel safe in turning a round loose downrange. It would need to be solidly attached, of course. But I think it would be doable.

13. CatShooter

CatShooter Well-Known Member

You are dead wrong... the sonic boom is a very loud CRACK generated from the bullet until it goes below ~1100 fps.
    Spend some time in the pits of a long range, center fire target range.

JTComfort likes this.
  14. 5.56×250

Read the whole thread before you single out a post. I admitted my ignorance on the subject in the few post after the one you called out. I admit when I'm wrong but it isn't easy to eat humble pie . It sure doesn't taste any better when its regurgitated again . Thank you for your knowledge and need to prove your intellect.:rolleyes:

Frog4aday likes this.