Deer Dander Allergy & COVID19 Breakthrough

Dang I didn't know deer dander allergies were a thing but can understand it. Glad you found something that reduces the exposure so you can still participate in ALL the hunting activities!
With some deer in the freezer, I will stop my hunt an hour before dark sometimes. Messing around in the dark with lights and changing out gloves & clothes, separating contaminated items from non-contaminated, can be too much a chore I want to engage in while I'm still doing this for fun. So, that is still the hinderance of my condition.

Our eldest son's wife, who is a physical therapist, has the same problem. Mostly affected by hives from touching the deer. No other animal has any affect. She uses the really long rubber gloves that veterinarians use for preg-testing cows. She has had no symptoms since she started using the gloves. Hope that helps.
Same with my son... Mule deer dander got him this year...

What I worry most about handling deer is TICKS!

You can get Lupus or 10 other diseases from ticks!

And all those big ol bucks do is lie around in tall grass and weeds all day....
I was on a hunt a few years ago and we had six bucks hanging on "The Buck Pole". When we were leaving, we took the bucks off of the hang and put them in our trucks or trailers. While driving the five-hour trip home my friend kept scratching his head and body. I looked at his scalp and there were deer ticks running all over. We pulled off the road and had him pull his shirt off. I picked over 30 deer ticks off of him. A few years later he was diagnosed with Lyme Disease.
While we were taking the deer off of the hanging pole my friend had a buck rest against his shoulder and head when carrying to the truck. When we got home and skinned the bucks out there were still a lot of ticks on them.
Have to careful these days with any game.

I was on a hunt a few years ago and we had six bucks hanging on "The Buck Pole". When we were leaving, we took the bucks off of the hang and put them in our trucks or trailers. While driving the five-hour trip home my friend kept scratching his head and body. I looked at his scalp and there were deer ticks running all over. We pulled off the road and had him pull his shirt off. I picked over 30 deer ticks off of him. A few years later he was diagnosed with Lyme Disease.
While we were taking the deer off of the hanging pole my friend had a buck rest against his shoulder and head when carrying to the truck. When we got home and skinned the bucks out there were still a lot of ticks on them.
Have to careful these days with any game.
The worst place Ive ever hunted where I experienced and got ticks on me (and they were on my brother too) surprisingly was SW Illinois.
I was under some illusion that cold weather kills ticks......(Im from Texas) Boy was I wrong! More ticks on Illinois bucks than I ever saw in Texas!

Even when we would chop weeds and clear firing lanes in the summer and fall, we'd get tick infested.

Even products like "Off" or others containing good tick repellant hardly cut them down....

Them Illinois bucks did in fact take
the Trophy Hunters....

I've worked as a Safety Officer for a large hospital network for over 30 years and in that time have fit-tested well over 1,000 people for N-95s and other types of tight-fitting respirators. A "100-series mask" (respirator) is actually even more efficient than an N-95. The "95" part of the name refers to the percent of particles 0.1 microns or bigger that it filters out. So an N-95 will filter out 95% of those small particles whereas a '100-series' respirator will filter out 100% of them. The difference between those two numbers however isn't significant in my book. There's also the fit of the respirator to consider. If you're just wearing one for dust or COVID protection in a non-hospital setting, fit testing the respirator isn't that big a deal but if you wear a respirator to avoid a serious allergic reaction, than fit is important. Most N-95/100 respirators come in different sizes and it would be difficult for the average person to conduct a proper fit test on themselves. Our hospitals recently switched to the 3M 1870+ which only comes in one size and we've found fits about 95% of the people we've tried it on. Another advantage of this respirator is that it doesn't muffle your voice when you speak through it.

I've worked as a Safety Officer for a large hospital network for over 30 years and in that time have fit-tested well over 1,000 people for N-95s and other types of tight-fitting respirators. A "100-series mask" (respirator) is actually even more efficient than an N-95. The "95" part of the name refers to the percent of particles 0.1 microns or bigger that it filters out. So an N-95 will filter out 95% of those small particles whereas a '100-series' respirator will filter out 100% of them. The difference between those two numbers however isn't significant in my book. There's also the fit of the respirator to consider. If you're just wearing one for dust or COVID protection in a non-hospital setting, fit testing the respirator isn't that big a deal but if you wear a respirator to avoid a serious allergic reaction, than fit is important. Most N-95/100 respirators come in different sizes and it would be difficult for the average person to conduct a proper fit test on themselves. Our hospitals recently switched to the 3M 1870+ which only comes in one size and we've found fits about 95% of the people we've tried it on. Another advantage of this respirator is that it doesn't muffle your voice when you speak through it.
WOW! Awesome information. Thanks! I was fitted years ago for HAZMAT response prep and they would put a bag over our heads and spray banana oil in the bag. If we could smell the oil, we didn't have a correct fit.

I've been pondering what to wear on an elk hunt. The N95 restricts air flow enough while tree stand hunting deer, but having to pack out meat and hike for miles I'd want something less restrictive. That 3M 1870+ sounds like the ticket!

WOW! Awesome information. Thanks! I was fitted years ago for HAZMAT response prep and they would put a bag over our heads and spray banana oil in the bag. If we could smell the oil, we didn't have a correct fit.

I've been pondering what to wear on an elk hunt. The N95 restricts air flow enough while tree stand hunting deer, but having to pack out meat and hike for miles I'd want something less restrictive. That 3M 1870+ sounds like the ticket!
Just don't walk past the monkey cage at the zoo for 3 weeks...they'd all be going BANANAS....over you!

My oldest daughter is allergic to cats, and of course, her mother has a few. (We don't play house anymore) As time went by, her allergic reaction got worse to exposure, even if her mother got too close to her. Her doctor started her on a regular dose of Benadryl, which she starts a couple weeks before the holidays. No more reactions. Again, you should check with your doctor, but it's cheaper than buying an Epipen

Thanks man, but it's all under control now. I think the deep breathing while loading that deer I described, with my face so close to the hide is what really did me in that time. Apparently, you have the same affliction and hopefully to a lessor degree, however, we don't build tolerances to allergens. The condition gets worse with repeated exposure, so be careful!
If you are allergic they can go away, for awhile. But anaphylaxis can come back and get you bad. I'm supposed to carry an epi pen too. Mine is for shellfish and bee stings. It ain't fun when your throat starts closing on you.

My oldest daughter is allergic to cats, and of course, her mother has a few. (We don't play house anymore) As time went by, her allergic reaction got worse to exposure, even if her mother got too close to her. Her doctor started her on a regular dose of Benadryl, which she starts a couple weeks before the holidays. No more reactions. Again, you should check with your doctor, but it's cheaper than buying an Epipen
What your daughter has is a mild allegic reaction. I'm allergic to cats and dogs also, we have both and both sleep in my room lol. I think they're trying to kill me. If you're prescribed an epipen it's because your reactions are considered potentially life threatening. Benadryl when you need an epipen can end very badly.