Deer Dander Allergy & COVID19 Breakthrough

DoneNOut

So, the past 5yrs of the last 20yrs hunting deer I figured out I was allergic to deer dander. It got worse in time. Initially, I would just sneeze and snot like crazy after field dressing deer. I just thought there was some pollen or plant the deer would rub against, but then 5yrs ago I bear hugged a buck to get on the 4 wheeler and my airway closed up.

There was no not deer hunting for this guy. Life without deer hunting was too terrible a thing to fully comprehend. So, until last year, I would have friends field dress and handle the deer I shot. That made me feel like a total panzy nancy! All my awesome knives and processing tools were gathering dust. Some people just thought I didn't like field dressing and I was really bummed out about it all.

So, last year I had a guy come help me with the two deer I shot. He said he used to elk guide out west. He didn't have a clue what he was doing so, I stopped him after I got frustrated with his butchering. I had to field dress those deer and anticipated taking an epi-pen shot right after. I decided to wear an N95 mask for the first time in an act of desperation. That N95 mask kept all the dander out of my lungs and along with latex gloves and using hazmat protocols all I got was an itchy eye! (If it weren't for the COVID19 N95 mask use I might never had discovered this miracle device)

Hallelujah! This year I field dressed and only got a little hives on my forearm above my glove. So, if anybody else has this curse, it seems the N95 and HAZMAT protocol will help tremendously!

Thanks BFD Guns I have a friend that has the same problem and get's his son to skin the deer and remove the hooves and head and then and only then can he cut up the meat.So your right it's not the meat but the dander!
I'll tell him and I bet his problem will be solved.

So, the past 5yrs of the last 20yrs hunting deer I figured out I was allergic to deer dander. It got worse in time. Initially, I would just sneeze and snot like crazy after field dressing deer. I just thought there was some pollen or plant the deer would rub against, but then 5yrs ago I bear hugged a buck to get on the 4 wheeler and my airway closed up.

There was no not deer hunting for this guy. Life without deer hunting was too terrible a thing to fully comprehend. So, until last year, I would have friends field dress and handle the deer I shot. That made me feel like a total panzy nancy! All my awesome knives and processing tools were gathering dust. Some people just thought I didn't like field dressing and I was really bummed out about it all.

So, last year I had a guy come help me with the two deer I shot. He said he used to elk guide out west. He didn't have a clue what he was doing so, I stopped him after I got frustrated with his butchering. I had to field dress those deer and anticipated taking an epi-pen shot right after. I decided to wear an N95 mask for the first time in an act of desperation. That N95 mask kept all the dander out of my lungs and along with latex gloves and using hazmat protocols all I got was an itchy eye! (If it weren't for the COVID19 N95 mask use I might never had discovered this miracle device)

Hallelujah! This year I field dressed and only got a little hives on my forearm above my glove. So, if anybody else has this curse, it seems the N95 and HAZMAT protocol will help tremendously!
I didn't know that about you buddy I'm sorry to hear that but I am with you just not that bad if I touch my eyes they get itchy and swell up and occasionally I will sneeze a little

Our eldest son's wife, who is a physical therapist, has the same problem. Mostly affected by hives from touching the deer. No other animal has any affect. She uses the really long rubber gloves that veterinarians use for preg-testing cows. She has had no symptoms since she started using the gloves. Hope that helps.

Thanks BFD Guns I have a friend that has the same problem and get's his son to skin the deer and remove the hooves and head and then and only then can he cut up the meat.So your right it's not the meat but the dander!
I'll tell him and I bet his problem will be solved.
I was once part of a deer processing group of friends. We had a machine shop converted to deer processing plant with ceiling mounted hoist, ban saw, tables, vacuum sealer, big walk-in cooler the whole cadillac set up. I didn't have to field dress, just drop the deer to the shop and a couple guys would be there to take care of it. 7-8 hunters would bring deer to the place. It was fantastic and made the hunting even more wholesome. I could come back after a few days and help debone and process the meat with no problem. It is just that hide that gets me.

I didn't know that about you buddy I'm sorry to hear that but I am with you just not that bad if I touch my eyes they get itchy and swell up and occasionally I will sneeze a little
Thanks man, but it's all under control now. I think the deep breathing while loading that deer I described, with my face so close to the hide is what really did me in that time. Apparently, you have the same affliction and hopefully to a lessor degree, however, we don't build tolerances to allergens. The condition gets worse with repeated exposure, so be careful!

The N95 mask is the only one that works for the rona! Then the powers to be couldn't supply enough of the expensive masks to everyone and it turned into, anything will work...:oops::mad:
The 100 series masks/respirators work too--- but I agree, all these paper thin or cloth masks just stop the wet snot from flying when you sneeze---- at least I don't have to look at people's nasty teeth either 😜

Thanks man, but it's all under control now. I think the deep breathing while loading that deer I described, with my face so close to the hide is what really did me in that time. Apparently, you have the same affliction and hopefully to a lessor degree, however, we don't build tolerances to allergens. The condition gets worse with repeated exposure, so be careful!
If your skin get reactions too, you can buy those white disposable tyvex suits pretty cheep on amazon--- not only do they keep the dander off your skin but of you want to wear it for hunting, the whote suit blends in to snow and also is water proof and wind proof so ot helps keep you warm
I'm allergic to pine sap so I gotta wear long sleeves that pine needles won't poke through while hunting heavy cover areas

If your skin get reactions too, you can buy those white disposable tyvex suits pretty cheep on amazon--- not only do they keep the dander off your skin but of you want to wear it for hunting, the whote suit blends in to snow and also is water proof and wind proof so ot helps keep you warm
I'm allergic to pine sap so I gotta wear long sleeves that pine needles won't poke through while hunting heavy cover areas
Yup, beekeeper suits. Good idea. Thanks for sharing. I didn't think of that.

The 100 series masks/respirators work too--- but I agree, all these paper thin or cloth masks just stop the wet snot from flying when you sneeze---- at least I don't have to look at people's nasty teeth either 😜
4B43756B-C83D-415C-9977-05CA18452BDB.jpeg

Dang I didn't know deer dander allergies were a thing but can understand it. Glad you found something that reduces the exposure so you can still participate in ALL the hunting activities!

About 30 years ago I couldn't figure out why I would get bad hives after field dressing a deer.....tried washing as soon as I could it just didn't work....then I found gloves that went up to my shoulders and put rubber gloves on rash never appeared ....I also were rubber gloves while cutting up a deer....
Asked a Doctor about it he said keep doing what works......