Curious what is preferred single shot or a repeater?

Like most, I have my view on this and I feel you can have both with the right setup.

No doubt single feeding has less potential for damaging the cartridge. The rifle needs to be set up for this type of operation for best results. A push feed is in my opinion the only way to go for single feed because the round is fully in the chamber before the extractor is forced over the case head eliminating any chance of cartridge damage.

With the proper set up a center feed mag must be used in conjunction with the push feed so the bullet doesn't touch anything during chambering. (It goes straight in the chamber, unlike a stagger feed mag).

With this combination, a mag length round can be used, or a longer than mag length round can be used. Also follow up shots are not difficult With ether length and a round can be placed in the action without pushing it in the chamber and allowing it to heat up.

For years I hunted with a single shot rifle and pistol with no issues. I once caught a sounder of Javelin's and managed 7 kills with a 1885 browning 7 STW. I was busy but when you are organized and familiar with your rifle it becomes automatic.

Control feed actions have there place also, but would not be my first choice for Long Range hunting/shooting.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

I'm far from an expert but on those big calibers like 338 LM and larger
Wouldn't a single feed action be a lot sturdier? Solid without a port?
More metal..So crank it up!

Last edited:
I am curious to what ELR guys hunt with....a single shot or does it have to be a repeater?

This would also include steel and crushing rocks for real hunting practice and keep it in the 338 caliber range on up to the 375, 408 etc.

Thanks

My .338 Lapua is mag fed. I haven't shot past 1000 yards though so I'm not a ELR shooter. I would feel handicapped hunting with a single shot. I need to hone my skills though before I make a shot like that.

I'm far from an expert but on those big calibers like 338 LM and larger
Wouldn't a single feed action be a lot sturdier? Solid without a port?
More metal..So crank it up!

Single shot bolt actions are definitely more ridge, but the magazine port Has very little effect when the bolt is locked in battery because everything is supported in front of the port. A single shot action does make feeding one round simpler, But with proper bedding the mag port has no effect on accuracy.

The problem with single shot actions is their versatility (You are held to single feed only and are limited to their uses). Having a single shot action does not mean you can use hotter loads, because the effect of hotter loads, is damage to the bolt, action recoil surfaces and brass.
Also if weight is an issue, single shot bolt actions are heavier.

J E CUSTOM

If I'm building a serious ELR rifle it's getting glued and screwed so no place for a mag!!

We're talking 3+ plus second flight times, mag feeding is zero gain and all negative in this kind of build IMO, I can usually have a second round sitting on deck and watch the first round hit!

keep the logical thought processes coming guys...I've got two buddies that were set on mag length till I spoke with them...now they realize in ELR / LR game with there is no rush ...

For example when I think it can get "fast and furious" in dark timber here in the West or when I'm visiting family in the North East U.S. tracking whitetails on snow in cedar swamps.

I run a .35 Whelen 225 gr. SGK's at 2600 fps in a detachable mag when I'm going short range inside 300 yds and may need a quick follow up. see pic

Moe,

Attachments

• 20190410_114120.jpg
    20190410_114120.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 105
I personally prefer my Ruger No.1's they are tack drivers. They also seam to have less recoil per caliber than my bolt actions and are almost always lighter to carry even with the 2" to 4" longer barrels. Which always gives higher velocity with better drop numbers. My only Lever gun is in 45 Colt for Cowboy shooting. But if I am hunting dangerous game I want a magazine fed bolt or pump action! You can not afford to fumble a reload in a high stress situation, those wounded critters run awful d--- fast trying to get you, and I am not running. Not when I was in the Army and not while I am hunting. That's my 3 cents take it for what it's worth and have a great day and a safe hunt!

Last edited:
Seems a few didn't read the rules of the elr forum before posting. I've only played around at elr and am no expert by any means, but I see no disadvantage to single feeding at the distances discussed. I do it a fair bit in hunting situations myself and don't mind it a bit. I think it boils down to personal preference and you should get what your gut tells you. Either will shoot well.

As there is no way to make a 300 grain berger fit into a savage mag. (338lm), and be anywhere near the lands, I decided to go with the savage 112 magnum target (single shot). Its getting a proof cf barrel & McMillan game hunter stock. I just thought it made sense, glad to see I am not alone.

It's all about practice. I know a guy that shoots very quickly with a single shot. It a break gun and he has added a cheek piece that holds additional rounds. That is his mag well. It's all about knowing your rifle well and practice.

It's all about practice. I know a guy that shoots very quickly with a single shot. It a break gun and he has added a cheek piece that holds additional rounds. That is his mag well. It's all about knowing your rifle well and practice.
I have three (.338 AM, .375 Snipetac, .375 AM) 2000 yds plus hunting rifles and even my magazine fed .375 AM I shoot single shot. I worry about the recall affecting the seating or tip etc. secondly, I shoot from a rest with front and rear piece supports and the five or ten round mags get in the way. Thirdly, lying prone with a 16 lb rifle it s tough to change the mags. Anyway, I avoid taking mor than three shots In these rifles or over 1000 yds. Furthermore, the animals usually start running if you miss so you need to recalculate.

One thing that doesn't get brought up is action straightness. The more cuts in an action the more it warps, period. As a rule, a single shot will be straighter and have better lug contact. Thats a fact anyone that checks out actions should know. If the plan is 1kyd shots on a live animal you need Benchrest accuracy. I have killed multiple running elk with a single shot, my buddies wife even dropped a nice cow at 200yds last year from a knee with her Ruger #1. If you feel the NEED for a repeater your taking shots you probably shouldn't IMO.

Last edited:
I have killed 2 elk seconds apart several times. Distances between 500 and 864. I carry a repeater for this reason. But.... every time I have killed multiple elk, the speed I was shooting was not an issue. Single feed vs. repeater didn't matter, I could have walked back to the truck for the second bullet last season. Just my experiences, individual mileage may vary

I have three (.338 AM, .375 Snipetac, .375 AM) 2000 yds plus hunting rifles and even my magazine fed .375 AM I shoot single shot. I worry about the recall affecting the seating or tip etc. secondly, I shoot from a rest with front and rear piece supports and the five or ten round mags get in the way. Thirdly, lying prone with a 16 lb rifle it s tough to change the mags. Anyway, I avoid taking mor than three shots In these rifles or over 1000 yds. Furthermore, the animals usually start running if you miss so you need to recalculate.
I agree about taking only 3 shots at a time. I think that you could become very effective using your single shot as long as you practice. Also get you a bullet scabbard that goes around the back end of your stalk at the rear of your gun. Mabe to hold several extra shots. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.