ELR rifle build: Single or Magazine?

A magazine has several advantages:

1. safer unloading than running each round through the chamber
2. different types of rounds in different magazines (for different game on same hunt)
3. less chance of bullet damage when unloading mags by hand as opposed to running them through the chamber and ejecting with the bolt.
4. Some custom magazine/trigger guard manufactures offer longer mags for longer handloads, such as with some VLD hunting bullets.
5. A properly stiff chassis will not be affected by a mag cutout. (See SOCOM's Remington PSR in .338 LM. and aluminum chassis imbedded in fiberglass stocks, as in HS Precision. See also Remington's XM2010 .300 Win. mag chassis, Accuracy International and Sako sniper rifles, all sub MOA sticks.)

Look at Accurat Mag products for the highest quality custom setups.

'Nuff sed.

How are items #1 and #3 relevant to single shot actions? Unless I am missing something, your comments are more relevant to a detachable mag vs blind internal mag debate than to a magazine vs single shot question.

#2 is questionable. Though some folks have different loads for short vs long range, most folks tend to load appropriately for the largest game they are pursuing and will stick with that load on lighter game.

#4 is true.

#5 is, again, debatable and I believe would be disputed by some of the gunsmiths who specialize in ELR type rigs. Moreover, MOA is hardly the standard for ELR hunting.

#5 is, again, debatable and I believe would be disputed by some of the gunsmiths who specialize in ELR type rigs. Moreover, MOA is hardly the standard for ELR hunting.

First please keep it civil, although I am sure it was not intended to be, it comes across as a little confrontational.

Second: I for one am in agreement with both of you on various points:

Litehiker said:

A magazine has several advantages:

1. safer unloading than running each round through the chamber
In agreement with Benchracer on this; more relevant to internal mag vs detachable mag.
Litehiker said:
2. different types of rounds in different magazines (for different game on same hunt)
In agreement with Benchracer on this; I personally use one load when hunting.

Litehiker said:
3. less chance of bullet damage when unloading mags by hand as opposed to running them through the chamber and ejecting with the bolt.
In agreement with Benchracer on this; more relevant to internal mag vs detachable mag.

Litehiker said:
4. Some custom magazine/trigger guard manufactures offer longer mags for longer handloads, such as with some VLD hunting bullets.
Looked into Seekins as they have a OAL of 3.9, but I would have better luck finding a unicorn.

Litehiker said:
5. A properly stiff chassis will not be affected by a mag cutout. (See SOCOM's Remington PSR in .338 LM. and aluminum chassis imbedded in fiberglass stocks, as in HS Precision. See also Remington's XM2010 .300 Win. mag chassis, Accuracy International and Sako sniper rifles, all sub MOA sticks.)
I agree here based on my personal experience. For practical rifle accuracy based on my existing mag fed surgeon actions I don't see how squeezing my one hole groups (at 100) down a fraction smaller would have any bearing since operator error and load development will amount to more variance at ELR than the rifle, but admittedly that is just my opinion.

Kristian. Sorry for the late post. I have cheytac mags for 10 rounds and then three modified for 5 and 3 rounds.

"Rockfish",

Never meant it as a confrontational post. Being an English teacher I can't say as there is any word there that can be construed as confrontational. Can't see where it's a bit "uncivil" howsomever I shall endevor in the future to remain civil in my posts.:D

I realize now that I was not keeping in mind purely single shot (no mag) rifles when I made my post regarding working cartridges through the action for unloading. I do feel no mag well single shot bolt rifles, due to their one-piece stocks, are inherently more accurate than single shot rifles with two piece stocks as on, say, a Ruger No. 1.

One more plus for using a magazine of any kind as opposed to a single shot setup is that a fast follow-up shot can be made with a magazine rifle. The alternative to not having a fast follow up shot could very well be a wounded animal getting away. This is not only frustrating for the hunter but inhumane for the game animal.

In the single shot rifle's favor is that it is a more "sporting" way to hunt where one must be extremely careful of the shot, accounting for much more than range and wind. Hopefully we all hunt that way but a single shot rifle forces you to hunt that way.

"Rockfish",

Never meant it as a confrontational post. Being an English teacher I can't say as there is any word there that can be construed as confrontational. Can't see where it's a bit "uncivil" howsomever I shall endevor in the future to remain civil in my posts.:D

Litehiker,

I was not referring to your post, sorry for the confusion.

- Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.