Curious what is preferred single shot or a repeater?

MAD10

I am curious to what ELR guys hunt with....a single shot or does it have to be a repeater?

This would also include steel and crushing rocks for real hunting practice and keep it in the 338 caliber range on up to the 375, 408 etc.

Thanks

my feelings as well.

the premise behind wanting to see opinions here in LRH was based on a conversation I had with a fellow shooter in the parking lot at mile high shooting in Erie, Colorado

great shop by the way. Fritz has done some great work for me!!

The guy was vexed over staying inside the mag box thus possibly nuturing his caliber selection or going long and single feed oh and we are talking .338 and up calibers to be clear.

I said to him...we are talking about a rig 12-16# for ELR rocks and steel and LR hunting, right? he said yes I want to do it all.

I also mentioned I like most have a SOP ( standard operating procedure) that I follow when taking a long range shot whether it be 600 or 2000+ yards. While it's not ridiculously slow - it does negate whether I'm running a single feed or a repeater since there are a few things to consider such as running your kestrel to get target AZ, the wind and mirage calls both near and far (both usually done through a spotting scope in combo with your kestrel) terrain association for after the shot etc.

I said look at it this way you are not building a Rem 7600 pump for tracking animals on snow in dark timber or eastern cedar swamps where you need a fast shot and often a couple.

DISCLAIMER: I grew up in New Hampshire and that is a popular rig and style of hunting in the Northeast and I have a tricked out 7600 for that style.

I followed up with; I personally never met a rock or an animal that said to me "**** dude you smacked me with a single feed bolt gun from across the basin and on the second shot even !!"

the guy laughed his *** off and went long and single feed.

obviously my point was in the long range strategic ambush style you are never in a rush to make a shot. It's should be a deliberate process. Even a second shot should not be rushed because you should check your sequence to ensure you did not mess up your d.o.p.e or your mechanics.

I should point out the guy was not exactly a novice he just needed to hear a different perspective in order to make a final decision.

yes except some matches are TIMED.
5 shots x mins.
but the answer is the same, have a plan practice.
i went with a dual port single shot right eject, so i can feed from the left while ejecting.
bench gun

yes except some matches are TIMED.
5 shots x mins.
but the answer is the same, have a plan practice.
i went with a dual port single shot right eject, so i can feed from the left while ejecting.
bench gun
I believe the OP was looking for input on HUNTING rifles and not benchrest shooting.

Cant remember which thread,was recent and Alex Wheeler had a video of a guy shooting bench at a 2000 yrd match .And he single loads one of the fastest and most accurate guys out there.He was shooting bench but it all relates to hunting,he and his buddies shoot game at 1000+,they look for the long shot on speed goats,as mentioned practice makes perfect

Last edited:
yes hunting, but not eliminating all else
if hunting single shot, i would think the ability to reload quickly would be a must.
i am not a hunter
I am curious to what ELR guys hunt with....a single shot or does it have to be a repeater?

This would also include steel and crushing rocks for real hunting practice and keep it in the 338 caliber range on up to the 375, 408 etc.

Thanks

........I was with another Hunter who was using a Ruger #1 in Griz country and...well let's just say he wished he would of had a repeater.......

Hunted a fair amount of bear country with a single shot. Hunted same country with a bolt gun unloaded for any number of reasons, or inaccessible quickly.
Love my #1's, under rated as a LRH platform.
They have issues like any other action type, but never felt a single shot was an issue if it was chambered for a serious bear cartridge.

My .408 was a single shot and now my .375 is mag fed. I run the .375 single shot pretty much all the time. If shooting ELR you can have the gun reloaded by the time the first round impacted if needed. Hard to spot your own hits but doable, at least by the time a spotter can give you a correction.

Hunted a fair amount of bear country with a single shot. Hunted same country with a bolt gun unloaded for any number of reasons, or inaccessible quickly.
Love my #1's, under rated as a LRH platform.
They have issues like any other action type, but never felt a single shot was an issue if it was chambered for a serious bear cartridge.
This Hunter was using a 300 WM if I recall correctly. Only shot fired hit the dirt in front of the charging Griz. Next round never made it into the chamber and then he was mauled. Happened so fast. Luckily he was able to get out alive.

This Hunter was using a 300 WM if I recall correctly. Only shot fired hit the dirt in front of the charging Griz. Next round never made it into the chamber and then he was mauled. Happened so fast. Luckily he was able to get out alive.

This is a long range hunting thread.....we're talking ELR / LR not up close and personal. It always baffles me why up close and personal encounters are even brought up.

This is a long range hunting thread.....we're talking ELR / LR not up close and personal. It always baffles me why up close and personal encounters are even brought up.
I'm also assuming 338 Edge, 375 Cheytac and above cartridges in the realm of ELR/ LR not your 338 wm or 375 H&H view points.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.