Curious what is preferred single shot or a repeater?

Discussion in 'Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)' started by 2C/1H, Apr 5, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. BigGrizz

BigGrizz Well-Known Member

I prefer a repeater. I do load single feed on occasion, but I like having three in the box and one in the boom tube when I'm hunting.

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

While I don’t believe a repeater is a necessity, I prefer one for LRH. On a hit animal, even though down with a good hit, I like to reload and retain sight alignment as quickly as possible for about a minute. I have had a couple of occasions over the years where a mortally hit animal got back on his feet. It’s hard enough finding the animal 1000 yards away, let alone a blood trail. Additionally, a few years ago I filled a tag on a nearby antelope doe after the buck was down. I was able to acquire the sight picture on her in seconds.

tbrice23 likes this.
  3. Wolf76

Wolf76 Well-Known Member

This is a little like money in the bank. You don't have to use it, but is nice to have it.
    You can single load on a bdl style mag well or use it as a repeater. I like having the option. Sometimes the bullet hits a twig or there's a bad wind call. Sort of nice to rack another and finish the job.
    Im a fan of tc encores and smokeless muzzle loaders, so no hate towards break/single shots.

4. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Well-Known Member

Once a guy has a single shot bolt action, they usually realize just how fast you can reload and the fears of not being able to make quick follow up shots disappears.

jasent, ar10ar15man and Bravo 4 like this.