What is your hit probability on a 10" target at 1000 yards? First shot.

LRNut

The question says it all. First shot, no corrections. Need to wait 2 hours between shots so you don't get the luxury of any wind feedback. If you want to post about hit rates at longer ranges, please do.

No the question doesn't say it all.
There's a lot that influences those results.

Steady wind, with unlimited time to get comfy and double check everything I'd go in the realm of 95%
now change that to gusty winds and on the clock it drops significantly.

Not to mention which rifle I have in my hand.

With my PRS 6 Dasher - 10" at 1000 yards first shot is about 70%. Issue will be wind call.

East of Mississippi where I live, not that many people have access to 1000 yard ranges to try this. Fortunately, as a PRS competitor have the opportunity to engage similar targets at 1000 yards in match conditions. Helps a lot to watch others engage and get a feeling for the wind conditions and improve first round hit percentage.

Wind and time frame have a lot to do with it. Im a lay down get on target and send it guy so 99 percent of the time my first shot is broke with in about 60 seconds. I'm very aware of what the wind is doing all the time as much as I can. With my 6.5ss I will be in the 65-70 percent range. In a modified supported standing it's around 44-50 percent. I'll screw up a wind call where I shot long before my rifle lets me down. 22 creed is alot higher percentage. That gun hammers!

I'll answer it this way, if I had my 700/7Mashburn Super and I had conditions that I would actually take a shot on game at that range then yes...I would feel comfy on getting a 1st round hit on a 10" target @ 1K.

Rig weighs sub 9 lbs all up (scope, sling rounds)

I know we're supposed to take the wind as it comes and such with this but I would no freaking way take a shot at that range (on game) with much over 1-3 mph of wind. Just my way........

Last edited:
Add a survey for how many members have ever actually had an opportunity to shoot a 10 inch target at 1000 yards. "Long Range" means different things to different people. 500 yards is long range to a lot of people.
This forum (ELR) is supposed to be about shooting from 1000yd on, so it should be 100%.

Considering a 1mph change in wind will blow 6.5 Creedmoor off a 1MOA target at 1000yd, I'd say I'm around 50% with my PRS rig. Put me in field conditions, on a barricade, or add gusty wind and that goes way down. It wouldn't take much wind to make it a game of luck rather than skill.

This forum (ELR) is supposed to be about shooting from 1000yd on, so it should be 100%.

Considering a 1mph change in wind will blow 6.5 Creedmoor off a 1MOA target at 1000yd, I'd say I'm around 50% with my PRS rig. Put me in field conditions, on a barricade, or add gusty wind and that goes way down. It wouldn't take much wind to make it a game of luck rather than skill.
Sorry, I thought this was "Long Range Hunting"

Like said above, lot of variables. If it was a flat range with a steady, easy to read, wind then i'd say 60-70%. If we are talking in the mountains with canyons that have switchy winds and thermals, maybe 30%??

Add a survey for how many members have ever actually had an opportunity to shoot a 10 inch target at 1000 yards. "Long Range" means different things to different people. 500 yards is long range to a lot of people.
Survey has been done. Most on this site from prior polls are less than 500 yards, a percentage take offense at that reality. I just thought this was the opportunity for those folks in the minority to take a victory lap.

I'd say right up there in high 80s percentage wise shooting my 28 nosler with 195 bergers. Wind and angle would probably trip me up more than anything. But here in SD finding enough open ground to shoot that far isn't an issue and I hunt areas that are so barren that you could watch your dog run away for 3 days with a good pair of binos so I always try to maintain the ability to make that shot should it be needed. Throw a big mule deer or antelope in front me though and I might try to find a way to creep closer, until zeiss figures out how to put a "buck fever" compensation mechanism in their scopes.