Coyote killed my dog.

Put one of these motion alarms out so you don't have to wait up at all hours of the night, have your gun ready, pointed out the window or where ever you shoot from. Scatter some cheap dog chow in front of the sensor, use chow because if you put a chunk of meat they will take it and run where as the chow they have to pick it up one at a time which gives you plenty of shot opportunity. Put a piece of electrical tape over the red light on the sensor as it blinks when activated and can scare them. If you need extra light put a couple of those $5 solar lights in the chow area. You can extend to range of the unit by adding some speaker wire onto the internal antenna, a few screws hold it together, pretty easy. You can add more sensors to one receiver because they are on the same frequency. Sorry about your dog. https://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html
View attachment 125106

A piece of advice from a farm owner, if you are in semi residential area, leave the pistol in the drawer and the rifle in the rack. Take a 12ga 3" modified with #3 buck, put your bait out about 30 yards, so the #3 pattern covers a yote or fox end to end. Bust him, if he runs off, just let him go. You put 5 or 6, #3 balls on him and he ain't coming back. I do not give a RS if a fox or cayote crawls off and dies. Vermin, I shoot period. I consider untreated canines of any type vermin. I have turkeys, deer and quail on the place, that I feed. Oh, we had a roving pack of wild pit bulls (8-9), come on the place, they be gone.

Here bouts we can hunt vermin with a light and a suppressor at night, I have both, but I have found by experience, that #3 buck is absolute death on skunks, foxes, bobcats, coyotes and smaller wild hogs within 30 yards. Now if I stack a #3 and then 00 I can put a 12ga 391 Beretta with a barrel mounted high intensity white light with a forearm mounted palm switch to work, real nice.
Ed

Wedgy,
The Harbor Freight alarm works great, but if you want to, you can just cut the wire to the red light. It will still otherwise work.
I had to paint mine camo because I use them to alert me to the "homeless" to that roam the levee behind my property, shopping in my neighbor's yards.
(Please, readers, no caliber suggestions. That's considered improper here waaay out west.)

I've never seen a spiked collar on a Pyrenees, I believe traditionally that is something a Kengal earns after killing it's first wolf.
Read an article in the cattleman's magazine: they used Pyrenees along with kuvas and some other dogs, can't remember, but went to using spiked collars on them all so predators didn't have as easy of time. Was pretty interesting. The Pyrenees would stay with the herd protecting it while the other dogs would run the predator down and kill it. If they didn't have both, the wolves figured out to lure the dogs away and have at the herd, and with only Pyrenees they wouldn't run down a tormenting predator so they needed a mix of guard dogs

I live in a rural neighborhood all the places have 3 to 5 acre lots. Lot of wildlife walk thru the yards. I had a coyote kill 1 of my winnie dogs thursday morning about 4:30 am. I have been watching my yard with thermals and I got a look at him this morning about the same time. I only have 1 direction i can get a shot on him because of the houses around me.
I took a shot at him but it was a bad shot and i didnt hit him he ran off. I should have waited but my desire to kill this animal got the best of me. Will they usually come back after a couple days or did i miss my chance. I dont know anything about coyotes.
A little ethylene glycol in some dog food will solve your problem... (antifreeze) takes two teaspoons to kill a canine. Crystalizes in the kidneys..

I live in a rural neighborhood all the places have 3 to 5 acre lots. Lot of wildlife walk thru the yards. I had a coyote kill 1 of my winnie dogs thursday morning about 4:30 am. I have been watching my yard with thermals and I got a look at him this morning about the same time. I only have 1 direction i can get a shot on him because of the houses around me.
I took a shot at him but it was a bad shot and i didnt hit him he ran off. I should have waited but my desire to kill this animal got the best of me. Will they usually come back after a couple days or did i miss my chance. I dont know anything about coyotes.
Put another doggie OUT! THEY'LL BE BACK for SURE! DON'T MISS! I feel sorry for your LOSS of your pet. REVENGE IS MOST SWEET in cases like yours. NAIL that BASTURD!
Theosmithjr

So sorry about your dog ..... Lots of coyotes in my neighborhood,they'd have to jump over a few fences to get to my 100lb Golden Retriever,he would not be passive. I keep him inside most of the time.
He might growl, and even fight; but a single Yotes will KILL HIM! A PACK WILL TEAR HIM TO PIECES! KEEP him on his side of the FENCE Sir; Do NOT TEMPT FATE!
Theosmithjr

Read an article in the cattleman's magazine: they used Pyrenees along with kuvas and some other dogs, can't remember, but went to using spiked collars on them all so predators didn't have as easy of time. Was pretty interesting. The Pyrenees would stay with the herd protecting it while the other dogs would run the predator down and kill it. If they didn't have both, the wolves figured out to lure the dogs away and have at the herd, and with only Pyrenees they wouldn't run down a tormenting predator so they needed a mix of guard dogs

Interesting! I have a buddy who runs sheep and pigs up in the Peace country :eek:. He is all about Kengals. They stay with the herd and dispatch anything that comes in pretty quickly from what I understand. Kengals have been bred for this purpose for thousands of years, fascinating breed.

I have seen Weiner dogs with spiked collars, I'm not sure that would be much help in the OP's situation unfortunately.

@chopit I have a detailed article from a guy at my job who traps coyotes on his farm. It is insanely detailed step by step instructions to specifically target coyotes. He gets about 50-60 coyotes a year on his farm. PM me your email and I'll send you the article. Sorry about your dog. It was so good it was published in Georgia outdoor news. I'm the same way with my beagle. I wouldn't rest until the coyote was eliminated.

I have a few acres and I use MB-650 steel traps! A lot safer than shooting in a neighborhood. Quiet and sneaky is best. Easy to hide and they work.
Get the good ones with the cast offset jaws and a trap setter. They have 4 very strong springs! F&T post is a good supply house. I wish a coyote would try my Pit or Linda's Rotty!
https://www.fntpost.com/Products/MB...te+Bobcat+Coil+Spring+Trap+(Offset+Cast+Jaws)
...you do not want your dogs fighting with them ~ as with anything wild, they carry rabies and other deseases. They're scavengers...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.