Need help on choosing a breed of dog as my coyote partner

Cattle and sheep dogs such as blue healers n border collies are highly energetic and easy to train.They don't range as far as other dogs and have the instincts to heard the coyotes to you.

July hounds are popular here in N. Michigan. You said "A dog", I'd recommend 2 or even 3. They provide backup to each other, less damage to your dog in a one on one, if one dog tires or loses a track the other picks it up and it's a better experience all together. Fighting coyotes takes a lot out of a dog. After a good chase and a couple fights the day is done. Every winter theres that one big yote that just wears your dogs out. In these cases theres a real possibility that big mean sob can really tear a single dog up. Invest in GOOD telemetry collars! Dont go cheap, it will save hours or even days of worry. I started before collars were available. We lost dogs forever or ended up getting a call someone found a dog and we'd get up in the middle of the night to go pick him up. Sometimes they were found dead. They'd run out of gas and layed down somewhere and they couldn't fight off the cold in their exhausted state. Get good collars.

I think Great Pyrenees. big and are used to protect from wolves. I have a Newfoundland also very big. Those are good around people and most other dogs. loves to run and ride in the truck front seat. loves tamales.

Probably is a good idea to have 2 or 3 even the Pyrenees can get taken by more than one wolf. Since our wonderful "Clinton Released the big wolves in Idaho and Montana.
Pyrenees wont run a coyote and they're too big for snow that's very deep. They're just not made for the chase. Also dont mistake hounds for pets, they're made to kill stuff. Theyll bite when pushed or excited. They also need to be outside dogs. Indoor dogs do not make good running dogs. My best friend is 75. He farms all year but come December he spends every minute running coyotes until April. His pack is 25 dogs and he runs four at a time. All July hounds. He knows dogs better than my veterinarian. He's out as we speak here on his 47th kill this winter.

July hounds are popular here in N. Michigan. You said "A dog", I'd recommend 2 or even 3. They provide backup to each other, less damage to your dog in a one on one, if one dog tires or loses a track the other picks it up and it's a better experience all together. Fighting coyotes takes a lot out of a dog. After a good chase and a couple fights the day is done. Every winter theres that one big yote that just wears your dogs out. In these cases theres a real possibility that big mean sob can really tear a single dog up. Invest in GOOD telemetry collars! Dont go cheap, it will save hours or even days of worry. I started before collars were available. We lost dogs forever or ended up getting a call someone found a dog and we'd get up in the middle of the night to go pick him up. Sometimes they were found dead. They'd run out of gas and layed down somewhere and they couldn't fight off the cold in their exhausted state. Get good collars.
Thanks Friend for the Solid, Safe & Sound advice. I'll seriously consider this.
Theosmithjr

You have to decide whether you want dogs to run and kill the coyote or a Decoy Dog. I think your wanting a best friend and partner. I suggest the Decoy Dog. He is more of a
herder instead of a fighter. You do not want them to leave your sight line for very long. The tip about buying training collars was excellent. A training shock and location would be outstanding. Check out these hunts on you tube.

Here is my few pennies worth
I have had many hounds. Mostly for cats and bears. Had 17 fully trained hounds at one time in life. I was never hung up up on one breed and ended up with pretty good dogs that other sportspeople were gonna kill, for free. Most of the time, it's not the dogs fault.
I'd always wanted to get into Curs. They hunt different than a hound and are way more personable.
I had a Leopard Cur that hunted harder than any hound I have ever owned. She got drug into a cat den and became dinner.
She had grit, was smarter than I was ready for and I even used her on birds.
I got away from tree dogs for a few years and ended up remarried in Wyoming. My wife started talking about wanting to get into cat and coon hunting with dogs and we watched a few videos on coyote hunting with decoy dogs. Mt.Cur are awesome for this. And we found a breeder here in Wyoming and got on the list for a pup. His contact will be at the end of my rant. Lol
Without a doubt this guys dogs will most likely start earlier than any hound and all they want to do is please. We have two half sisters. Same sir different moms.
One is bread for being more of a coyote type dog, the other is a straight up treeing but. Together- I bet they will make a dandy team when they finish out. One is barely a year and the other is a few months younger.
We raised them to be outside during the day and inside when we are home. They are awesome pets and are a part of the family. Super smart too, if they don't have something to hunt they make up things to do. That can be good and bad. Lol
Here is the breeders info
wyomountaincurs.com

You have to decide whether you want dogs to run and kill the coyote or a Decoy Dog. I think your wanting a best friend and partner. I suggest the Decoy Dog. He is more of a
herder instead of a fighter. You do not want them to leave your sight line for very long. The tip about buying training collars was excellent. A training shock and location would be outstanding. Check out these hunts on you tube.
I want any dog to know I'm his buddy, but I'm the MASTER, it's the DOG! I want more of a DECOY, ATTRACTING DOG, but I dont want a WIMP that cant fight. I'll kill the Yotes as soon as I see them, but if they'd run in fast, I'd like a dog that can defend himself. Theosmithjr

I have had many hounds. Mostly for cats and bears. Had 17 fully trained hounds at one time in life. I was never hung up up on one breed and ended up with pretty good dogs that other sportspeople were gonna kill, for free. Most of the time, it's not the dogs fault.
I'd always wanted to get into Curs. They hunt different than a hound and are way more personable.
I had a Leopard Cur that hunted harder than any hound I have ever owned. She got drug into a cat den and became dinner.
I got away from tree dogs for a few years and ended up remarried in Wyoming. My wife started talking about wanting to get into cat and coon hunting with dogs and we watched a few videos on coyote hunting with decoy dogs. Mt.Cur are awesome for this. And we found a breeder here in Wyoming and got on the list for a pup. His contact will be at the end of my rant. Lol
Without a doubt this guys dogs will most likely start earlier than any hound and all they want to do is please. We have two half sisters. Same sir different moms.
One is bread for being more of a coyote type dog, the other is a straight up treeing but. Together- I bet they will make a dandy team when they finish out. One is barely a year and the other is a few months younger.
We raised them to be outside during the day and inside when we are home. They are awesome pets and are a part of the family. Super smart too, if they don't have something to hunt they make up things to do. That can be good and bad. Lol
wyomountaincurs.com
wyomountaincurs.com
Sounds like you are very experienced with dogs. Pity what happened to the one whom tangled with a cornered Cat! Musta been awful, but it sounds like it "Was a Good Death" for her. I know that dogs such as your description of her Live for the Hunt, some so much they'll TANGLE with any beast they encounter! She sounds like a True Champion to me sir. I'm sorry for your loss. But your words do her justice; both in life and death! Thank you for sharing them with me. Good advice all the way around sir. Thanks again. Theosmithjr

I've had one black and tan female lion hound that was a good decoy dog, she was that right balance of timid and aggressive that just suckered them in, all my male hounds would just destroy a coyote and barely break their stride.
I've hunted with some black mouth curs and they were just to aggressive after some time, really just haven't liked the curs.
Hunted quite a little with a couple Dorn dogs which were decoy and trapline dogs and they were excellent.
You need that right headed dog to make an awesome decoy dog, a lot of breeds will work but they have to have the right personality.
Someone mentions Great Pyrenees won't run down coyote, I've sat and watched many a coyote get his butt ran down and kill by them, they are big but under all that fur is actually a lean running machine if their not fat ranch dogs. One pair the ranch had was unreal, the female always rolled the coyote then the male grabbed them gave them a shake and it was done. That male was the only dog I saw that would regularly kill Badgers. Over all poor choice for a decoy dog though.

Some terriers seem to do well as decoy dogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.