Coyote killed my dog.

chopit

I live in a rural neighborhood all the places have 3 to 5 acre lots. Lot of wildlife walk thru the yards. I had a coyote kill 1 of my winnie dogs thursday morning about 4:30 am. I have been watching my yard with thermals and I got a look at him this morning about the same time. I only have 1 direction i can get a shot on him because of the houses around me.
I took a shot at him but it was a bad shot and i didnt hit him he ran off. I should have waited but my desire to kill this animal got the best of me. Will they usually come back after a couple days or did i miss my chance. I dont know anything about coyotes.

morning, coyotes and wolves will and do kill domestic pets.
coyotes like cats to eat. sorry about ur pet I have weenie dog also.
I never leave my pet outside because of the presents of
coyotes in the vincinty sp. I live. yes coyotes in rural areas
has become a problem. YES COYOTES WILL KILL AND
EAT OUR PETS. I keep a shotgun and pistol at ready
for such an problem. be careful of shots with
a pistol for stray shots. shotguns with turkey
shot or #4 buckshot is best for defense. justme gbot tum

I also live in a somewhat rural area and own about a dozen acres. About 20 years ago I had a couple of coyotes chase my Brittany to my porch. I needed let the dog run for daily excercise so I fenced off about a half acre off the back of my house. About a week later, I found my Brit and a coyote nose to nose, growling on each side of the fence! A couple of months later a neighbors dog got killed by a coyote. 30 years ago coyotes were a rarity in the Northeast.......and rabbits "were" plentiful. Coyotes run big up here (+45), supposedly a wolf hybrid that migrated from the North. They are so plentiful that it's the only game animal allowed to be taken with a centerfire Rifle in our state, as motivation for hunting them.

I have a few acres and I use MB-650 steel traps! A lot safer than shooting in a neighborhood. Quiet and sneaky is best. Easy to hide and they work.
Get the good ones with the cast offset jaws and a trap setter. They have 4 very strong springs! F&T post is a good supply house. I wish a coyote would try my Pit or Linda's Rotty!
https://www.fntpost.com/Products/MB...te+Bobcat+Coil+Spring+Trap+(Offset+Cast+Jaws)

Last edited:
I live in a rural neighborhood all the places have 3 to 5 acre lots. Lot of wildlife walk thru the yards. I had a coyote kill 1 of my winnie dogs thursday morning about 4:30 am. I have been watching my yard with thermals and I got a look at him this morning about the same time. I only have 1 direction i can get a shot on him because of the houses around me.
I took a shot at him but it was a bad shot and i didnt hit him he ran off. I should have waited but my desire to kill this animal got the best of me. Will they usually come back after a couple days or did i miss my chance. I dont know anything about coyotes.

Sorry to hear of your pet. In my experience the coyotes will generally always come back. They have been staying around for a reason so they will come back. We taken a couple cracks at a pair of dogs, dropped one and within 1 hr the neighbour called saying the other coyote is back! That was after 3 rounds dumped at him too

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.