Need Help with Choosing an Electronic Caller

jasonprox700

I'm looking into purchasing an electronic caller before the winter. There are so many out there, I don't know where to start. What are some of the brands and models you guys use or would recommend?

I was looking at some of the FoxPros. They seem nice, but are they really worth the money?

So far I think I'm leaning towards the Foxpro Firestorm. Looking at all the features, it seems to have a lot to offer. If I don't go with that model, then it will be the Spitfire.

I've used a foxpro the last 3 seasons, I have the older 416B model. My only knock on it is the very limited range of the remote. I understand I can get this updated, got to get around to that.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with it! Very easy to download new sounds.

FR3,,
What kind of remote distance can you get line of site? The Spitfire looks like a good buy except I don't think it has the Foxbang which is a great feature.

Last edited:
I have a FoxPro Fury. It works very well. It comes with 100 calls and seems to be all I need. My success rate is very good with it. A bit pricey , but you only cry once and they seem to hold their value well. Like other high quality equipment, a fox pro seems to sell pretty fast when advertised used.

Jeff gun)

one caller comes to mind that works well and never lets me down..

FOXPRO !!!!

+1
I use the Foxpro #3 and have had great luck with it .

I use it for Turkeys,geese (In the Special season) Hogs (All year round) all types of varmints
and have had great success with it.

The remote is simple and works well beyond the limit needed.

Volume is more than enough with ether speaker and batter life is realy good if you use only
one of the speakers (I select the one best for the range needed).

I had mine programed at Foxpro with the sounds that I needed and customer service was
second to none. They have more sounds available on line for down load to your computer.

There are other brands that are supposed to be good also, but the Foxpro is the standard
that all others are compared to.

There are more expensive models if you wan't to spend more so go on line and look at all
of them.

J E CUSTOM

I'm in the start-up process of an e-commerce site for predator hunting gear so I've been field testing the new FOXPRO callers for the last couple of months. My first FOXPRO was a Scorpion I bought to use specifically for bobcats. I then went to an FX5 and have recently used the Spitfire, Firestorm, Fury and Prairie Blaster models. They all work great but there's no free lunch either. More than anything, your budget will probably determine the caller you end up purchasing.

An occasional caller in "smaller" country would be served well with the Spitfire. Top volumn on the Spitfire (level 5) is about equivalent to the 24 setting (out of 40) on the Fury. The Prairie Blaster is a pretty specialized piece of equipment for big country or really windy conditions. But, it's a real pig to pack around. It uses eight D cells and it's pretty bulky. The PB does have a built-in decoy which is nice.

If you're more serious, the Firestorm and Fury will do most of what we predator hunters need. Between the Firestorm and Fury, the FoxBang feature on the Firestorm is pretty cool but overall the remote for the Fury is much nicer to use in the field. It's quicker to find/change sounds. It has more presets. And, the buttons are somewhat easier to operate especially with gloves on. The Firestorm has just two presets and one of those is used for your FoxBang feature. If you start with the Firestorm, you will probably get used to it and get along fine. I made the mistake of using the Fury first! Sound quality with both callers is similar.

Again, there's no free lunch so choose the caller that fits your hunting style and budget. I can tell you from first hand experience that they all work and you can kill coyotes over any of them! Fell free to PM me if you have any additional questions.

Tim

Thanks for the reviews.

There are some more tests pinned under electronic calls over on predatormastersforums.com He went to a lot of trouble checking them out.

I have owned three FoxPro e-callers. Started with the FX-3....went to the Open Country Call. And now have the Prairie Blaster...BIG...heavy....and loud. Works GREAT for me.

Take care,Stan

Oh...and to me...worth the money.

I am currently looking at either a foxpro spitfire or firestorm. I am unsure which to choose. I am hunting in Minnesota and am in a location where their is not much long wide open spaces. So that has me thinking the spitfire. Just looking for feedback on the spitfire and the firestorm.

My hunting buddy started off with the Spitfire. He did call in yotes with it. He used it with a MoJo decoy. He now has a CS-24.

The downside is that is is not loud at all. Even in close in areas it really does lack for volume. He would put it 50-60 yards in front of us and depending on what sound was being played, I sometime could not even hear it.
You have to remember....a coyote may be 1/2 mi. or more away...even in heavy brush. You want him to hear it. If there is any wind at all then you will really want a louder call.

I have watched coyotes come from over a mile away to the call. Just happened to be glassing around and saw them running towards the call....good fun right there!

So I would opt for the FireStorm for the added features and loudness.

As I wrote above...I started out with a FX-3....and that was not loud enough for me. It is like anything else...it is better to have the extra volume and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Take care,Stan

PS...let us know what you end up getting.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.