COYOTE ATTACK ON HUMAN AND DOG

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Just saw this on the internet with a coyote attacking a person and their dog.

A few years ago Samson an I were walking on an closed road due to building a Reservoir. As we were walking back home I saw two Coyotes following us. One on each side of the road about 50 yards away.. Well SAMSON (Bermeses Mountain dog about 120 lbs at the time and in his prime) did not take them following us. Samson went into attack mode and took off after the closest Coyote. Too bad for the Coyote that there was a Cattle fence about 20' off the side of the road (County Regs). Samson caught up to the Coyote within seconds because the Coyote could not get through the fence. Samson killed the Yote in about 3 seconds from grabbing him by the neck and tossing him in the air. That is what Bernese Mountain Dogs do!
Samson has been with us for just over 9 years now and is 150#s. His birthday was last month in May. He has killed 6 Coyotes that we know of and no Coyote has gotten to our Goats.
Now about 6 months our neighbor's dog was killed by several Coyotes. We wish Samson was around, but he NEVER leaves our property.
Samson is at his life expediency. Bernese Mountains Dogs only live 6-9 years. He has been really unresponsive lately and we are very saddened. On a better note we had a good friend give us a GREAT PYRENEESE puppy and she is 12 weeks old now. She will take up the Torch from Samson to Guard The HOMEFRONT!

Be aware that Coyotes are invading everywhere. If you have outside cats or dogs keep them safe. There was an article several years ago about a persons with two German Shepards. A pack of Coyotes killed both of them. YES COYOTES DO PACK HUNT!!!!
Been hunting Coyotes for a lot of years and they keep getting smarter and growing in population.

Here where I live for the most part coyotes run in groups of two or sometimes three . It depends on a lot of different conditions as to weather or not they run in packs here . In the early fall you will have the young of the year and their adults running together as the pups are refining their hunting skills . If we get a cold winter and they are hunting larger animals in deeper snow cover again you will see them running in packs as well . We as humans have been doing a selective breeding program with the coyote for years . It's not our intention to but we tend to take the not so smart of them and the ones that aren't as cautious and leave the ones that are smart and cautious to breed with others that are the same giving us more young each year that are like their parents . We had a coyote that some railroad workers were feeding till it lost it's fear of them and took one of them great fun till someone got hurt . The USDA wildlife services were called it was put down all due to people that had no intention of that needing to be the case . Every year here you will have ranchers that get their dogs and themselves chased by coyote . They then call and have the coyote put down . In nearly every case there are pups close by that the adults don't want the dogs around . Alot of sheep ranchers run guard dogs here and I have seen coyote learn to out smart the dogs and still kill lambs .

There was a coyote attack on a man just a few miles from my house several years ago. The story goes that there had been a raccoon getting into their trash and so they set a live trap under the deck to catch it. One morning, the man let his chihuahua out the back door, not realizing that there were several coyotes under the deck trying to get to the raccoon. One of the coyotes seized the opportunity to scoop up the little dog, and the man ran after the pack to save his pet. The coyote dropped the dog, but then turned its attention on the man and bit him several times in the legs. He spent a few days in the hospital to have his wounds thoroughly cleaned and getting his first round of rabies vaccine.

There was another local case about a man who had a heart attack while closing the gate to his property. When he was found the next day lying dead just a few feet from his still running pickup, his body had been severely mangled and partially eaten, presumably by coyotes.

I don't fear coyotes when I'm in the woods, but I do maintain a high level of awareness when I know they are nearby.

Hey Coyote Shadow Tracker, are we 100% sure it was a pack of coyotes? Could it have been red wolves. I am just curious. I was thinking about what you wrote.
I should post the article but it was from a few years ago. There are articles where Game Commissions have documented Coyotes hunting in packs. Could it be RED WOLVES? Well we do have those here in GA and SC. Don't know the exact year but the SC Game Commision introduced Red Wolves back into SC. They have found their way to GA and several have been killed here in GA. Not many only a few.
I personally had a run in with a pack of Coyotes several years ago. I shot a nice Buck with a bow on my back property right before dark (7:00PM). I waited 45 minutes and then went looking for the buck. It was now dark and could not find a blood trail. Looked for over an hour (now it is past 9:00PM. Went back to the house to get another lite and a Blood Lite.
Went back out around 10:00PM and found a "FLETCH" with blood on it. kept looking and finally found a huge trail where the Buck was spitting blood out his mouth. I knew the Buck would be very close. I crossed an old logging road and on the other side of the road saw the Buck's head also heard a lot of leaves and trees moving. There were two of the meanest Coyotes left guarding the Buck. they kind of yapped and snarled at me. I SCREAMED! I didn't have a firearm with me, but from then on always carrying with me. i ran back home and grabbed my short shotgun and when back. That Buck was eaten from the back hooves to the front legs. The only thing that was left was the head and parts of the shoulders. There had to be at least a 1/2 dozen Yotes gobbling down that deer in such a short time.
HUNTING IN PACKS! YES!!!!

Attachments

• Coyote Buck.jpg
    Coyote Buck.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 86
I should post the article but it was from a few years ago. There are articles where Game Commissions have documented Coyotes hunting in packs. Could it be RED WOLVES? Well we do have those here in GA and SC. Don't know the exact year but the SC Game Commision introduced Red Wolves back into SC. They have found their way to GA and several have been killed here in GA. Not many only a few.
I personally had a run in with a pack of Coyotes several years ago. I shot a nice Buck with a bow on my back property right before dark (7:00PM). I waited 45 minutes and then went looking for the buck. It was now dark and could not find a blood trail. Looked for over an hour (now it is past 9:00PM. Went back to the house to get another lite and a Blood Lite.
Went back out around 10:00PM and found a "FLETCH" with blood on it. kept looking and finally found a huge trail where the Buck was spitting blood out his mouth. I knew the Buck would be very close. I crossed an old logging road and on the other side of the road saw the Buck's head also heard a lot of leaves and trees moving. There were two of the meanest Coyotes left guarding the Buck. they kind of yapped and snarled at me. I SCREAMED! I didn't have a firearm with me, but from then on always carrying with me. i ran back home and grabbed my short shotgun and when back. That Buck was eaten from the back hooves to the front legs. The only thing that was left was the head and parts of the shoulders. There had to be at least a 1/2 dozen Yotes gobbling down that deer in such a short time.
HUNTING IN PACKS! YES!!!!
Sounds like it a good thing you left when you did to get a gun. Would not want to be there unarmed when the rest of the pack came for the buck.

Sounds like it a good thing you left when you did to get a gun. Would not want to be there unarmed when the rest of the pack came for the buck.
Should have never been without one of our pistols. I always carry a S&W Model 29 6" . But because of being in our back property I felt safe. Big MISTAKE. You need to be ready all the time no matter where you are.

Last edited:
Just saw this on the internet with a coyote attacking a person and their dog.

A few years ago Samson an I were walking on an closed road due to building a Reservoir. As we were walking back home I saw two Coyotes following us. One on each side of the road about 50 yards away.. Well SAMSON (Bermeses Mountain dog about 120 lbs at the time and in his prime) did not take them following us. Samson went into attack mode and took off after the closest Coyote. Too bad for the Coyote that there was a Cattle fence about 20' off the side of the road (County Regs). Samson caught up to the Coyote within seconds because the Coyote could not get through the fence. Samson killed the Yote in about 3 seconds from grabbing him by the neck and tossing him in the air. That is what Bernese Mountain Dogs do!
Samson has been with us for just over 9 years now and is 150#s. His birthday was last month in May. He has killed 6 Coyotes that we know of and no Coyote has gotten to our Goats.
Now about 6 months our neighbor's dog was killed by several Coyotes. We wish Samson was around, but he NEVER leaves our property.
Samson is at his life expediency. Bernese Mountains Dogs only live 6-9 years. He has been really unresponsive lately and we are very saddened. On a better note we had a good friend give us a GREAT PYRENEESE puppy and she is 12 weeks old now. She will take up the Torch from Samson to Guard The HOMEFRONT!

Be aware that Coyotes are invading everywhere. If you have outside cats or dogs keep them safe. There was an article several years ago about a persons with two German Shepards. A pack of Coyotes killed both of them. YES COYOTES DO PACK HUNT!!!!
Been hunting Coyotes for a lot of years and they keep getting smarter and growing in population.
My heart goes out to your dog in his latter years. I will say a prayer for him that his days are fun, fulfilling, and discomfort free. I lost both my Black and Chocolate Lab several years ago and I lost part of my soul. But the pain does reside. I got a new Yellow Lab and he has been a God send. All the best, take care.