Need help on choosing a breed of dog as my coyote partner

Sounds like you are very experienced with dogs. Pity what happened to the one whom tangled with a cornered Cat! Musta been awful, but it sounds like it "Was a Good Death" for her. I know that dogs such as your description of her Live for the Hunt, some so much they'll TANGLE with any beast they encounter! She sounds like a True Champion to me sir. I'm sorry for your loss. But your words do her justice; both in life and death! Thank you for sharing them with me. Good advice all the way around sir. Thanks again. Theosmithjr
It was my fault actually. After church one Sunday, I went for a ride with some fellas from church. We came around a corner and a female and two juvenile lions were standing in the middle of the road.
They took off and I got callores on the dogs. Turned that Leapard and a Bluetick loose on the tracks. I turned them loose thinking I'd have a quick chase. At dusk, I had caught up to them, or so I thought.
The had one of young ones treed. I was about 200 yards from them. The cat bailed and she naturally fallowed. There was a den right on the back side of the ridge.
They both got drug into the den.
Yes they both died doing what they loved, but it was my need to show off for some church buddies compiling with heat of the moment activities that got them killed.
Lesson learned

We have a Pyrenees Lab mix, who we really like because our children are his "Livestock" and he watches over them very closely. I once had thoughts that he could be a good decoy dog, but no longer.......I have never seen a dog that hates coyotes more, and he is WAY to fearless and aggressive. He would rather run them down and try kill them himself rather that lead them back to be shot. One night there were coyotes were in the field, I grabbed a spot light and 22 Hornet, but he beat me to them. It was too chaotic to try shoot so my wife and I watched him tangle with six coyotes, It was a whirlwind, and one by one the coyotes turned and left with him on their heels.......I don't think he killed any of them, but he came home about 30 min later without a scratch. He also refuses to listen to any commands if he can see one. The down side is, since we got him, I haven't been able to shoot a coyote at home.:rolleyes:

There is a guy in Oregon that sells pups, website is below, I was thinking about booking a trip with them, just to go watch the dogs.....Someday it would be fun to get a decoy dog!

http://www.shootersservicesunlimited.com/

Pick a breed that fits your active life style.look at rescue dog websites that might give you some idea's

We have 4-6 neighbors that have goats. Most that have dogs have some form of big curs but they are not used as decoy dogs, they are yote eliminators, usually two at a time on goat guard. Of course just about everyone with goats also has a Jack, Jacks do hate yotes with a passion. But a Jack is a bit big for a house pet. :)
Ed

morning, I read a lot about hunters in Africa that hunted
man eating leopards. the airdale terriers were used to
track and confront leopards. very tough and smart
breed. justme gbot tum. very interesting
postings about the black cur breed.

I want any dog to know I'm his buddy, but I'm the MASTER, it's the DOG! I want more of a DECOY, ATTRACTING DOG, but I dont want a WIMP that cant fight. I'll kill the Yotes as soon as I see them, but if they'd run in fast, I'd like a dog that can defend himself. Theosmithjr
You need to do a google search on the Jagdterrier. They are freaking amazing when it comes to coyotes, cats, hogs and even bears. They are like the mighty mouse of the dog world. Don't dismiss them because of their size...they are a tough badass dog, perfect for what you want.

There is a huge misconception on decoy dogs.
They can work all year long, but work the best during the spring and early summer during denning season. You can run them in the mornings through the summer before it gets to warm. They work in the fall if you have a timid dog that doesnt push to hard when working pups, but older Coyotes will respond well also. Depending on where you are in the country running dogs in deep snow or extreme cold isn't viable.

When are Coyotes worth the most? When theyre prime. Which is November, December, and maybe part of Jan if youre lucky. In the upper Midwest, for me thats the worst time to run a dog because its so **** cold and we have 2 ft or more of snow and they cant move through it.

Spring time when the pups are on the ground works the best for using a dog because it acts on a Coyotes territorial behaviors to keep other k9s out of their territory as well as away from their pups. The fur value is not there during this time of year.

Most guys that have dogs are doing control work. If you're not doing control work, then now you have a pet and not a tool.

So are you looking for a pet or a control dog? If you're just going after fur checks then you dont need a decoy dog. If your doing spring work then you need a decoy dog. If you want a pet that you feed all year round, get a pet. Control dogs don't socialize well with other dogs after theyve changed. They can be very aggressive to other dogs so you have to watch them.

Now that youve figured out if you need a decoy dog or not. What breed?

There are lots of dogs that will work.
Anything from a big airdale to a smaller jagd terror. (I mean terror). Herding dogs work just fine, hounds work fine, but the cur is a happy medium with lots of grit. Mountain cur, blackmouth cur, or a cur mix. Jags terriers work fine but can lack size when up against a very agressive spring coyote.

Youre looking for a dog that isnt to big and isnt to small. Youre best if it's slightly larger that an adult coyote. So 30 to 50lbs. Smart, agile, quick, and most important listens. This is where some guys go with the herding breeds.

What do I run?
I run mountain curs or a jagd terrier mountain cur cross to get some size.

Dog food can get expensive. I still have to feed them and they need a lot of excerise to keep them sane. Use really good food, they are working dogs and you dont want them to dump out when they've got a coyote on toll.

Training wise youd better be on your toes or know someone who knows whats going on. They arent bird dogs. Let a puppy be a puppy and dont get to carried away. There are lots of training tools and tricks.

Having a good decoy dog isn't something that just happens over night. If you want solid advice? If you dont have the time to train, get out and work a dog, dont get one. If you want to see how it's done, talk to a local wildlife control person, they either have dogs or know someone who does.

Hope this clears up some stuff.

Xdeano

Last edited:
Never Skimp on food! I ask a lot out of a catch dog ..Like his life?
I have been running "Taste of the Wild" and really like it ..so do my dogs!
How do they look and act and how much food in versus waste out? That Taste can hang!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.