Bait killed coyote.

ohlongarmisle

This is a road kill that crawled off on a neighbors adjoining vacant land, been watching it awhile with trail cam A bonus kill bigly pregnant female look at the girth.
One at a time racks them up over time.

Attachments

• pf.jpeg
    pf.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Views: 120
It really wasn't one at a time do you know how many pups she was carrying?
I do not, but palpating her as was taught to me by the vet down the road my guestimate is about 6 , about golf ball size now. As you know when you kill a coyote , usually you get the mate within a week in small areas like I hunt. Don't know if it's similar in Montana. While I don't rack up huge numbers at once at the end of the year we have a pile ,4 in last week.

When I worked with the USDA they gave me a chart and asked me to open them and count the pups and age them according to their size. That way we had an idea of what the pup crop was going to be, and then how busy were about to get as well as the health of the coyotes in the population. I normally tried for the mate and helper if they had one the next day. I took the shot one out of the area when I left, then came back in the morning and set up to call, here they look for their mate or missing pups by using two short, maybe half howls then two sharp barks over and over again. But however, they look for them in your area I would bet they talk to do it and if you figure out the language, they use to do it it's golden. When I've opened them and inspected the uterus the lumps on it being the size of golf balls the pups were about 3 inches long, so they were around 3-4 weeks along.

When I worked with the USDA they gave me a chart and asked me to open them and count the pups and age them according to their size. That way we had an idea of what the pup crop was going to be, and then how busy were about to get as well as the health of the coyotes in the population. I normally tried for the mate and helper if they had one the next day. I took the shot one out of the area when I left, then came back in the morning and set up to call, here they look for their mate or missing pups by using two short, maybe half howls then two sharp barks over and over again. But however, they look for them in your area I would bet they talk to do it and if you figure out the language, they use to do it it's golden. When I've opened them and inspected the uterus the lumps on it being the size of golf balls the pups were about 3 inches long, so they were around 3-4 weeks along.
That's exactly correct, the majority of fox and coyote pups are whelped around April 15th tax time, so she's on schedule, or was. I usually can guarantee to get the mate of the one taken within a week,and those are the calls I would refer to.

Ours here have a fairly wide range of whelping time. The red fox tend to be about a month ahead of our coyotes starting in March here, I've taken newborn red fox kits on the third of March here. I have taken newborn coyote pups as early as April eight and as late as the first of June here. It seems to depend on the age of the female and the amount of food here. I took a den one time in early May that had two distinct age groups of pups probably two weeks apart on births.

Ours here have a fairly wide range of whelping time. The red fox tend to be about a month ahead of our coyotes starting in March here, I've taken newborn red fox kits on the third of March here. I have taken newborn coyote pups as early as April eight and as late as the first of June here. It seems to depend on the age of the female and the amount of food here. I took a den one time in early May that had two distinct age groups of pups probably two weeks apart on births.
There's exceptions to all things, I've seen coyotes born near end of may.

Yes there aren't really any cut in stone things when dealing with coyotes. So much that I have seen here depends a lot on the population density of the coyotes, the population seems to run in conjunction with the prey base, thus the health of the females.