First Coyote Called and Killed!

CB- sorry to hear that you called in your first... Cause now you're ruined for life!:D Congrats, and welcome to the Coyote-Crack-Head club! Now it's time for you to get a couple good mouth calls, there's some pretty good deals on used ones on Predatormasters.com right now.

three44s,
Thanks for the insight, definitely some improvement to be made in setting up stands.

threejones,
I've got some mouth calls: primos double jack, primos double cottontail, and a Ki-Yi also. Any others I would need? A good howler maybe? I've tried using them but it seemed handier to use the electronic, even old as it is, because I can multi-task better... glassing, ranging prominent terrain, etc... while the call plays on it's own. Opinions?

I don't want to step on threejones toes but I'll dive in on the call question.

There are a lot of good calls .......... but you can't carry them all ......... and you really can't manage very many without sounding like a rattle box.

I think it makes sense to master the open reed call. It takes some work but keeping the stuff hanging around your neck to a minimum will make more and more sense as you navigate your way around calling.

And the basic open reeds I have are from Critter Calls.

They make "Pee Wee" ......... "Song Dog" and the original ......... "Critter Call" .... these are the models I have that are my go to calls. I have others that I like, but on a stand ....... you have to keep things simple.

They also make the Magnum but I don't have that one. If you were in a lot of very open flat and windy country ........ I might entertain getting that one as well but I have not seen the need yet.

What we are trying to do is simplify ......... you don't need 500 calls around your neck .... they'll just foul you up.

You need a few ...... and a laynard that you can set them at different heights so you keep them from banging on each other and also so you can distinguish between them in the "heat" of calling.

To add to those calls more volume, depth and resonance is easy. A horn off a bull or cow is the most sought after. I have even used ......... don't laugh ........ a two quart plastic milk jug with the bottom cut out!

The open reed is very versatile. Not only are they good for coyote language but also your prey based sounds. You have to work at it some but it's not really very hard.

The best thing you can do to start getting the idea on coyote language is to go out and just dink with the coyotes somewhere when they are sounding off the most .... evening is the best and most productive.

I am spoiled, my home (and I ranch for a living) is smack dab amoungst them so I get all the practice right here at ground zero!

Three 44s

Thanks Three44s! Much appreciated. Was toying with the idea of some open reed ones like you mentioned. I like the way they sound and the skill involved too.

Three44s, well said. I was going to say something along those lines, but I think you've got it pretty well covered. I too am a fan of the open reed calls, seems like the sound quality is better than a closed reed, plus they don't seem to hold spit and freeze up as bad when it's really cold. I usually have a Carver, and 2-3 Tony Tebbes on my neck. I'm not sure which models they are, the Carver is fancy burlwood looking thing and the Tebbes are a Red, Yellow, and Orange (jackrabbit, cottontail and mouse squeeker if memory serves) I'd like to add either a Carver or Tebbes howler as well but I haven't picked one up yet (been relying on the FoxPro for yote noises)

I pack around a FoxPro Wildfire II as well. I have a SP55 external speaker and a Foxjack2 decoy with it. I often just use the decoy without even turning the caller on, and use mouth calls. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but it just gives them the visual they're looking for and takes their attention anyway from me. I almost never use the SP55 either, but when I'm in Eastern MT the extra volume is nice.

All this extra crap isn't necessary, but I like having it and not needing it, vs needing and not having it. I've just been picking up a new call or two every year or so(took about 10 years to finally buy the FoxPro... I'm a cheap-***). Predator calls are like potato chips, ya can't just have one:D.

threejones,

Ah, I see you run with the big dogs when it comes to calls! Those are very nice calls and one thing about natural materials .... wood and horn ........ it just don't any better than that.

I like your idea about howling with the e-call and prey sounds mostly from your hand calls.

One place where it's good to have coyote linguistics in a hand call .... open reed is I like to have a coyote adult ki yi right at hand ........ for the two's and three's eze's .... ie getting a second chance (rare) or less rare getting that second or third coyote ......... by throwing a adult distress at them.

It only works if you are not spotted. Todays suppressor equiped rifles also help make it more realistic.

Around the ranch I encounter enough coyotes in the hay fields that I managed to come up with a half way convincing adult distress by voice.

I guess the thing I neglected to mention earlier is that if you had just one thing on your person for e-calling is a mouse squeeker.

They are fool proof to use and just what the doctor ordered in a lot of situations for a deal closer as you come of the e-call.

Best regards

Three 44s

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.