Coyote killed my dog.

He will come back my neighbor has shot at a fox about 10 times he's a bad shot but if you are in the city limits I wouldn't tell anyone one bad egg will rat you out

I would use a small cal like 223, 22-250 , 220 swift with a bullet designed to basicly detonate when engaging somthing. years ago I had a strand of poly rope in front of my target (10 to 12". the 220 swift hit the string and all that hit the target was lead splatter. Not a hole to befound.

@chopit I have a detailed article from a guy at my job who traps coyotes on his farm. It is insanely detailed step by step instructions to specifically target coyotes. He gets about 50-60 coyotes a year on his farm. PM me your email and I'll send you the article. Sorry about your dog. It was so good it was published in Georgia outdoor news. I'm the same way with my beagle. I wouldn't rest until the coyote was eliminated.
Hey PLZ EMAIL me that article sir. [email protected]
Thank you!
Theosmithjr

I would use a small cal like 223, 22-250 , 220 swift with a bullet designed to basicly detonate when engaging somthing. years ago I had a strand of poly rope in front of my target (10 to 12". the 220 swift hit the string and all that hit the target was lead splatter. Not a hole to befound.
I use a Custom built .17-VLR on Yotes and Varmints. It's a. 223 Lapua case, 40 degree shoulder, 22.0 grs of Vhita Vhori N-135, with a 37gr. BERGER VLD (discontinued) but I have 2,200 of em. 4,600fps LASER BEAM! I DRILL the presidents HEAD @ 300yards on DIMES, SHOOT QUARTERS at 500 yards!
Serious Business! Leaves a WHITE CHALK LINE, VAPOR TRAIL right to POI. YOTES & VARMINTS WORST NIGHTMARE! NO EXIT WOUNDS EVER! ONLY A LIL RED SPOT ON ENTRY! GREAT for FUR TRADING & SELLING!
Theosmithjr

I've played this game before. Vengeance can be very rewarding. But you have to remember that that coyote is smarter than most hunters. You've already shot at him, so now it's educated. Remember that coyote has seen you a lot more than you've seen it. It probably knows your area better than you do. If you try to hunt it, it'll most likly catch you before you catch it. Instead of wasting a bunch of time just do a little homework, and figure where he's probably sliding through when he's huntin. Then pick up a road killed squirrel off the road add inject it with Dex-Cool antifreeze. Dex is still toxic. Stash it in the area the coyote travels through. Drag it around on the ground, and make it look like something made a kill but wants to return for it. Coyotes can't resist an easy meal. It'll be dead the next day. It'll all happen quitely, and none of your neighbors will hear a thing.

Yes he will come back, but a little more wary. At residential ranges a .22 LR with hollow points is sufficient. Coyotes aren't as hard to kill as deer, and I don't care about DRT with them. After the neighbors lose enough pets, they become less touchy about a shot at night. A pickup truck with a camper shell makes a good blind, and if you sit far enough back the shell dampens the blast a bit. Earplugs are a must. To keep them in the limited field of view, I use a couple of fried chicken legs securely zip-tied to the end of a bungee cord and hung ~5ft. up. They seem to find that entertaining. If they are hanging around houses, they are used to table scraps. Also useful is a very low powered BB gun loaded with RWS .177 lead balls, for when Fido tries to steal the bait. No real damage, and little noise, but a lasting lesson. Binoculars can be useful to make sure of your target.

First off, my condolences to the OP on the loss of his dog. It hurts, like losing a member of the family.
I have serious doubts that the OP moved into the yotes hunting ground. Yotes are multiplying and showing up in places they've never been seen before. The more of them there are, the more brazen they get, especially at night. If their numbers are not controlled the potential for bad things to happen increase. They lose their fear of people and can start looking at us as prey - particularly little ones. Google the Kelly Keen incident in CA back a few years ago (ignore the stupid allegations of the peta whacko's, there were witnesses not mentioned in the Wiki bit) and the list of known yote attacks on kids over the years.

People will go on about how they like to see the yotes around, sometimes even feeding them, right up until little Fifi or Socks goes missing... or until some little kid gets chewed on. Unfortunately it's closing the barn door after the horse got out.
I would also think that the OP's 17 should be quite sufficient, with the right ammo. Not having one I can't comment on that but I'm sure someone will have recommendations on that subject.
Good luck getting the yote & a bit of revenge for your dog but I would suggest you don't stop at one... take out a pack and make them afraid of people again!
Cheers,
crkckr

Sorry for the loss of your little buddy. A 223 with 55 gr v-max puts them down in quick order . If you have a single pack around your area , a miss will stop them from coming around for four or five days In my area but then they come back but different time of day

I have good neighbors I went to all of them and told them to watch out for their pets and if they heard a shot at night not to worry. I explained to each one the direction I would be shooting. Also explained I would be in a climbing stand which would put bullet path into the ground. I am going to use my 300 blk AR on them with my pulsar thermal mounted. I am going to put dog food and tuna at 40yds from my stand all week. They don't come out all day just at 4am to 5am. My neighbors all want me to kill as many as I can. They all have small children and pets.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.