Coyote killed my dog.

Sorry bout your dog. Happened to me as well and it still bothers me. Yes, they'll be back. Use the tuna. I'm with just country on using a shotgun with buckshot. Should be okay on your size land and you'll have more angles to shoot. A trap might injure the wrong animal. Not a fan of coyotes. A mortal wound will suffice.

Lot of bad advice on here,, holy carp !
If you think you can go buy some MB650's, and just lay them down , you'll be sadly disappointed at what you'll find in that trap,, Catching yotes by the foot is fairly complex,, and learning to bed a trap properly takes practice to keep them from detecting it.
Snares are a little easier, but again no guarantee you wont find the neighbors dog or cat wound up, choked to death.
Best advice I could give without extensive typing is bait with rabbits, or mice, maybe some stinky skunk-based lure from commercial trappers would help, and sit on the pile until you see it again.
They are smart, and spookey, but if it's a juvenile, you may get him dumb enough, that he'll come back after getting shot at.

A friend of mine in Texas had his dog ripped to pieces and half eaten by a coyote - he too is in a neighborhood - he bought one of my shooting chairs which he now uses for his crossbow as well! (silent) - www.idleback.co.uk

Attachments

• idleback-premier-combo-shooting-chair.jpg
    idleback-premier-combo-shooting-chair.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 159
I have had coyotes follow me out coon hunting at. Night , and I had them run my dogs off a tree , buttons answer the question yes they will comeback if it was me I would get me a rabbit put him in a cage use a call and see what happens and set up where you can shoot with a. Shotgun no 2, or double buck ,

I also live in a somewhat rural area and own about a dozen acres. About 20 years ago I had a couple of coyotes chase my Brittany to my porch. I needed let the dog run for daily excercise so I fenced off about a half acre off the back of my house. About a week later, I found my Brit and a coyote nose to nose, growling on each side of the fence! A couple of months later a neighbors dog got killed by a coyote. 30 years ago coyotes were a rarity in the Northeast.......and rabbits "were" plentiful. Coyotes run big up here (+45), supposedly a wolf hybrid that migrated from the North. They are so plentiful that it's the only game animal allowed to be taken with a centerfire Rifle in our state, as motivation for hunting them.
I have not read al the answers - but a centerfire - .22 Hornet should handle even big Coyote. Plus - you can sell the pelts - less damage. :)

I have not read al the answers - but a centerfire - .22 Hornet should handle even a big Coyote. Plus - you can sell the pelts - less damage. :)

I live in a rural neighborhood all the places have 3 to 5 acre lots. Lot of wildlife walk thru the yards. I had a coyote kill 1 of my winnie dogs thursday morning about 4:30 am. I have been watching my yard with thermals and I got a look at him this morning about the same time. I only have 1 direction i can get a shot on him because of the houses around me.
I took a shot at him but it was a bad shot and i didnt hit him he ran off. I should have waited but my desire to kill this animal got the best of me. Will they usually come back after a couple days or did i miss my chance. I dont know anything about coyotes.
I had a dog named Lucy 65lb Shepard mix. She did not like coyotes and they knew. They would run from her. She did not like poodles much either. 2 poodles tried to attack her. That was 15 seconds worth of work for her. She trounced them and I never saw them again. She was the queen of her kingdom.

The problem is 2 coyotes can kill even a big 100 lb Shepard. One goes for the tail - to distract it - while the other goes in for the neck/kill. Even scrawny 25-30 lb Western Coyotes have big teeth and make their living killing. Two dogs together - Coyotes will not bother them - but one could get in trouble.

Sort of like 4 Rhodesian Ridgebacks can kill a Lion - at least a lioness. The lion may get one or two - but they work as a team and one gets thru to the neck !

I live in a rural neighborhood all the places have 3 to 5 acre lots. Lot of wildlife walk thru the yards. I had a coyote kill 1 of my winnie dogs thursday morning about 4:30 am. I have been watching my yard with thermals and I got a look at him this morning about the same time. I only have 1 direction i can get a shot on him because of the houses around me.
I took a shot at him but it was a bad shot and i didnt hit him he ran off. I should have waited but my desire to kill this animal got the best of me. Will they usually come back after a couple days or did i miss my chance. I dont know anything about coyotes.
At the top of the parallel 60 dog sled had been left chained together to a pole. The pack of wolf has passed and there is almost nothing left. The wolves will come back, or not.

Sort of like 4 Rhodesian Ridgebacks can kill a Lion - at least a lioness. The lion may get one or two - but they work as a team and one gets thru to the neck !
That's why guys with predation problems use spiked collars on their guard dogs. Increases their survival rate greatly

It takes an awful large pack to take on a Great Pyrenees, because they're scavengers not dogs bred to kill in a pack. The the big dog kills the first coyote the others bug out or get skittish

Had the same thing a few years ago with my beagle. Some outside cats also. The gunshot will back them off but alas they will return. Sorry about your loss but use caution to the max if you bait, poison or steel trap. My father in law lost a dog that got into some teated pellets. Out to 100 yds a 22mag is great & low noise too.

I've never seen a spiked collar on a Pyrenees, I believe traditionally that is something a Kengal earns after killing it's first wolf.

Also very sorry for your loss--the last 'yote that came looking for a meal of Jack Russel left paying the bill-a well placed 17 Mach 2 was sufficient-chest shot at 75 yards and he went about 75 more before he piled up. Does't take a lot to dispatch them if well placed-mine was 17grain varmint tip at 2000fps -tiny hole in and a blender to the heart and lungs.
Good luck-the others I have shot were with a 300 Whisper/suppressed DRT using a Lehigh 174 grain subsonic -
They are highly intelligent creatures and you cannot get sloppy in your approach to eliminating them (unless they are young and stupid)

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts