Coyote killed my dog.

Do they uaually come back if i wait a couple days? I want this animal to come back.

I would say unlikely - but you never know. Coyotes are smart and are easily educated. You might be able to call or bait him in, especially if you weren't calling when you shot at him.

I have a friend who owns a small farm, he has lots of coyotes. When he slaughters a cow he places it out in the middle of his field and starts shooting coyotes. Over two or three days he usually gets three or four before the carcass is no longer desirable; they keep coming back in the same day that he shoots them.

You live in a rural area, the coyotes are roaming your neighborhood because they are looking for a food source. I would suggest baiting them (if legal), set a cam out on the bait to find a time that they are coming in (pattern the animal) and do what you have to do. My son has a .25 caliber Benjamin Marauder pellet gun that is more than adequate out to 100 yards to do what you want to do.

Thats what i shot at him a 17 hmr with a grren light. He left and i played a rabbit in distress on my phone for about 30 secs. He came out right next to my house and i had to move my tripod setup so i was rushing. To make it worse it was very foggy and the light just reflected so i could see him good. I am going to the range today and sight my thermal on my ar.

Sorry to hear about your dog sir.

The bad news is you've educated the dog with both a gun shot and a rabbit distress.

Good news is if he is already prowling around homes chances are he will be back. My recommendation would be to use a larger rifle. A .243 or similar would be great. These things are very tough and you want him dead. Even a poorly placed shot will take him out with a larger caliber. Second would be try a different sound now. We have excellent luck with Fox distress and fighting sounds. The coyotes are very opportunistic and territorial. Next would be some sort of rodent sound or maybe even a bird

Sorry for your loss. I had a friend who worked as a Greenskeeper at a fancy golf course in Vancouver, BC. One spring they were renovating a sand trap and came across a coyote den. It was littered with kitty collars.

Dogfood works to bring them in. I know one couple who feed their dogs outside on a farm. In the winter coyotes get hungry and come to the porch for dog food. Neither of them (the couple) want to kill anything, but they are happy to have me come out and manage the problem. Makes for a few easy fur every January. They called me up last year, got 6, this year only 3, so I think the yotes are wising up. They are still eating the dogfood though, and I will be making a return visit at some point here. Might use a different vehicle next time and see what happens...

I've tried to bait coyotes with a lot of meat products.... Everything from bacon grease to deer carcass. Can't figure those buggers out. Distressed rabbit call seems to work as well as anything IME

Last edited:
I'd put a roadkill deer carcass in a safe spot then sit back and wait. We kill yotes over dead cows. A couple weeks ago my buddy shot and missed one we waited 20 minutes and either it came back or a different one came in. Didn't miss that one.

Put one of these motion alarms out so you don't have to wait up at all hours of the night, have your gun ready, pointed out the window or where ever you shoot from. Scatter some cheap dog chow in front of the sensor, use chow because if you put a chunk of meat they will take it and run where as the chow they have to pick it up one at a time which gives you plenty of shot opportunity. Put a piece of electrical tape over the red light on the sensor as it blinks when activated and can scare them. If you need extra light put a couple of those $5 solar lights in the chow area. You can extend to range of the unit by adding some speaker wire onto the internal antenna, a few screws hold it together, pretty easy. You can add more sensors to one receiver because they are on the same frequency. Sorry about your dog. https://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html
image_11813.jpg

The way I see it, this is a pet management issue. Kill the yote, another will take it's place. You can't sit on your porch from sundown to sunup every night sitting over bait, even if it does give you a sense of control.

• The way I see it, this is a pet management issue. Kill the yote, another will take it's place. You can't sit on your porch from sundown to sunup every night sitting over bait, even if it does give you a sense of control.

Not knowing all of the particulars to the actual event I couldn't fault the owner just yet. I had a similar position a few years back when I read that a guy shot a couple of pet dogs that were way off base. I blamed the owner of the dogs just as much as the hunter. In this instance it is my opinion that keeping coyotes off of this man's property and the property of his neighbors is more of and must in order to protect the pets and people of the area. He's either gonna watch for and kill the yotes, or walk the dog on a leash like a city person. Who the hell wants to do that? Dogs dont belong on leashes. Some people would welcome the challenge of offing these mutts from they're bathroom window, i know i would. Heck i would volunteer to help if he was my neighbor!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.