Close calls while hunting.

LRSickle

What are some of your close calls while hunting or just out in the outdoors.

I was charged by a couger while calling bears to a longbow. The cat came rushing in, and I mean reaching out and grabbing ground. He skidded to a stop 7 feet from us. We were both still shaking a couple hours later.

My biggest scare was during a solo hunt on the boarder of Idaho 67 and Wyoming. I had a tag for both states and had shot a nice 4-point buck with my longbow back in a secluded Wyoming basin. While caping the buck my knife slipped and I stabbed myself on the inside if my leg right next to my unit. Blood imediantly soaked my pants. What a sinking feeling I had. All alone, no help, I even thought of writing a note to everyone I love. I ripped my tee shirt up, made a compress and tied it over the hole. I left everything but my daypack and headed to the trailhead. By the time I got there I couldn't think straight. Luckly there was a couple disembarking for a hike that saw me and took me to St John's in Jackson Hole. From then on I've been very calulated about what I do while alone in the wild.

What stories do you guys have and what did you learn?

You definitely robbed death those 2 times. I'm at 42 and counting. Near as I dare forecast it, I'm good for 45 at least. That would be 5 CATs' worth.
One was when mother nature (or the devil) tried to make a Railroad Spike out of me, this was the second time.

2005, CO, Wednesday - last day 1st rifle, it started to snow when Cuz and I left the motel at 3:30am. Parked at 4:30 / 9,000' and had gone up the Mt. about ½ mile trying to determine which cattle trail was the one that lasted more than 80 yards. He was about 20 yards to my left on another trail and we both stopped to take a maxwell house break. Being 2 years younger, he finished first and moved on ahead while I was still writing with the yellow ink. I zipped it up and made about 5 steps up the trail and BLAM right behind me lay an old rotten Blue Spruce that could not stand up to the snow load. Cuz would have been in the top but I, had I not run out of yellow ink would have been driven in the ground like a Railroad Spike.

Well...crumpled old man!

Thats one!:D

In recent years I have been paying more heed to stories like this. Many of my outings are done solo. A couple years ago I started carrying a satellite phone for safety reasons.

My wife likes that--- and so do I.

In recent years I have been paying more heed to stories like this. Many of my outings are done solo. A couple years ago I started carrying a satellite phone for safety reasons.

My wife likes that--- and so do I.
I remember when you got it, I was ordering the CO pvt land chip. Do you have a 911 button like on the SPOT or would you have to dial someone? I know you told me but old timers has kicked in:rolleyes:. Sorry bout that.:D

PS: Please give us one of your close calls. "You are a good man Charlie Brown" do it.

2010, CO second season elk hunting. Cutting down a beatle killed pine/spruce tree.
As it went down it's branches rubbed and shook another dead tree. That trees top broke off, about 12 feet of it and about 2 1/2" were it broke. Came down and hit the brim of my hat driving my glasses into the bridge of my nose, 4" back and it would have center punched my head.

thus the attractive looking bandage in this pic 2 days later.
http://www.centershotrifles.com/gallery/img_hunting/100_2086.jpg

As we near the 2013 season I'll bump this up to the top for more close call stories.

Not exactly what this thread is about, but worth telling I feel. As a young boy, a friend and I were rabbit hunting with 22's. We were at least a mile from any road and decided to shoot a few pains out of the wondow of a very old falling in abandon house. We took a few shots and heard yelling from inside. Another friend of ours was inside setting some coon traps in the room that we shot into. We had no idea hewas there. Thank god our friend was not hurt. A lesson learned and I will never forget it.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.