Carry a backup handgun while hunting?

jim2914

Do you carry a handgun while hunting?
A friend on mine was telling me he always carry a small semi 45 while hunting Bear. When he was stopped during a license check the warden told him in Pa if you carry a handgun it must be a revolver since you could not hunt with semi handgun in Pa.

A friend on mine was telling me he always carry a small semi 45 while hunting Bear. When he was stopped during a license check the warden told him in Pa if you carry a handgun it must be a revolver since you could not hunt with semi handgun in Pa.
Only in known grizzly country. In Montana, I do not know any handgun restrictions.

I'm pretty sure that you need a concealed carry permit to carry a semi auto pistol while hunting in pa.
Yes check the PA Game laws. I was hunting Chucks and took my custom 17HMR Vorquartensen (semi auto) rifle for under 200 yds as was told I could not hunt with it. Thought that it would be like squirrel hunting. Pistols are a whole different story. PA not friendly!

Always. First property I hunted in this state was owned by a retired warden. He mandated I carry one since they'd found bits and pieces of meth cooking equipment in the area. I've never personally had a run-in with the two-legged sort that required a sidearm, but I know those who have.

I typically carry a 10mm, which is legal for deer here, and I have used it when I had to sneak in close.

PA has very liberal carry laws so I really doubt your friend is correct. Spend some time though reading through the reg's.

I always carry a handgun of some sort, when hunting it'll usually be one of my titanium revolvers in .41Rem or .44wm, a 10mm 1911, or an XDM .40 cal.

If he has a ltcf, he can carry whatever he wants. If he doesn't, he needs to be (open)carrying a legal gun for whatever he is hunting. Semis arent legal for hunting in pa, so I assume Your buddy doesn't have a ltcf.

Either get a revolver 4"+, or just hide it better like the rest of us :)

I carry either a HK45 or my SW500. The SW500 weighs about 3.5 lbs. unloaded. So I've got to figure that in when going on longer treks. You never know what you are going to run into in the hunting woods.

It's true.. No semi-auto rifles or handguns for deer and they just added some counties for semi-shotguns. I always take time to chat up the game wardens when I see them. They laugh because I'm always walking towards them instead of the other way. I quiz them for information and game law updates. I carry S&W governor with assorted loads of 45acp, 45LC, 410.