Packin' a handgun while packin' a pack'

I prefer a crossdraw holster with a steep cant. It rides up front so its handy and out of the way for carrying a pack or slinging a rifle, plus its ideal when riding my mules up in the mountains, sits right up front where I can get my hand on it quickly and doesn't interfere with riding in a saddle. Usually packing a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag. for my mountain/hunting gun.

Just curious, isn't it sort of redundant to carry a sidearm while lugging a rifle? I have been known to carry mine in the hood of my pack where I can get it out without removing the pack, it is concealed and out of my way but I would never carry it while already carrying a capable weapon. I guess you think you're going to be attacked by humans?

Troutslayer, usually the only time I'm carrying both is riding into and out of camp. The revolvers up front where I can get to it and the rifle is in a scabbard where its not very handy or quick to retrieve it. Once I'm in camp the revolvers always on my hip and the rifle is unloaded and in its case or scabbard. If I'm just camping, or out for a ride scouting out new hunting territory, then the rifle is at home and I'm carrying the revolver. I never take both when I'm out hunting for game, whether on foot or riding - that would be redundant. When I have game down and I'm going in the next day to pack it out, the rifle is in camp and the handgun is on my hip. Better to be prepared than to be unarmed when in the mountains, you never know what might happen. I never leave the revolver at home when riding in the hills, it could come in handy for 2 or 4 legged animals, or I might need it to put down the animal I'm riding if it broke a leg - you just never know what may happen.

Didn't realize you were riding horses/packing mules. That justifies a need and also bears the burden of the extra weight. Haven't had to put down an animal myself but I know plenty of people who have and that's something you've got to be ready for.

I used to live in GJ. went to Mesa State for a while- Go Mavs! Great country but not enough fishing close to town to keep me there.

Quote "Didn't realize you were riding horses/packing mules"

Nah...I'm smarter than that. I ride a mule, and pack on the other mules.

I've never had to put one down either, but if I had to, I'd much rather shoot one than try and humanely beat one to death with a big rock. ;^)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.