Choose one Western big game caliber

Which caliber would you choose?

• Total voters
For it to be perfect western gun/ CALIBER I would pick a 7mm in a short mag. A perfect gun needs to be short light and get good velocities out of a 24 in barrel which I think 7SAUM or 7WSM fits the bill.

Out of options list of CARTRIDGES I would pick 7rem mag

I'm sorry, but this is purely conjecture and so subjective that I'm quite sure you can't prove a difference between heavy 7mm bullets and heavy 30cal bullets. They BOTH stomp elk.

Shoot enough elk with both and there is a clear difference, I have not hit an elk with my 28 and knocked the life out of it like we're seeing with the big 30 cals, throat life isn't even comparable though I still like my 28 a lot there is a difference.
The last chambering I recommend is the 7 Mag, I get more guys going away from it in one season than any other you'll find.

Last edited:
Shoot enough elk with both and there is a clear difference, I have not hit an elk with my 28 and knocked the life out of it like we're seeing with the big 30 cals, throat life isn't even comparable though I still like my 28 a lot there is a difference.
The last chambering I recommend is the 7 Mag, I get more guys going away from it in one season than any other you'll find.

Lol, OK. We're done here...

Shoot a few elk and watch them trot a little ways before tipping then stick a 215 from a 30 into them and watch them not able to move or drop with normal lung shots and you'll know the difference, even a large bull was trap doored with a behind the shoulder shot and it's doing it over and over.

Thank God I have a year to think all this over lol. Originally I wanted a GA Precision Non Typical in either 7mm rem mag or 300 wsm, even though the wsm wasn't on the poll. Might just stick with one of those. Main thing is get something with a little more energy than my 6.5 creedmoor for elk.

Remember, its not simply about killing power. If you dont live out here your probably not used to this wind... Also, look at this country. Your not sneaking up to 100 yards. Longer shots in this wind need BC and speed. I like the big 30s personally.

Remember, its not simply about killing power. If you dont live out here your probably not used to this wind...

Very true. I've only been out west once and that was to Colorado. Moving out there the beginning of next year. The wind is definitely different than what I'm used to here in SC. I guess it's just another reason to get out and shoot when I get out there

Thank God I have a year to think all this over lol. Originally I wanted a GA Precision Non Typical in either 7mm rem mag or 300 wsm, even though the wsm wasn't on the poll. Might just stick with one of those. Main thing is get something with a little more energy than my 6.5 creedmoor for elk.
7mm RemMag will certainly do it for you. Especially if you order it with a 26" 1:8 twist barrel, so you can shoot anything offered for 7mm, up to the Berger 195 EH's. If you shot the 195's, ballistically 1,200+ yard shots should not be a problem. Not sure of your skills, so I'm just stating what the rifle/cartridge should be capable of.

There's no arguing larger that all things being equal, heavier, larger diameter bullets kill better, but there are some high bc 7mm bullets capable of killing moose and elk very well. Realistically, how many elk and moose are you shooting? One a year, then go with a big 30, but if you're popping deer and antelope between getting elk or moose tags, a 7mm will serve very nice, mitigating some recoil on smaller animals that truly don't need that much gun to kill them. That being said, I use a 300 wby with 212 eldx to kill moose and elk, but don't bother dragging it around for deer

Another thing to consider is barrel life. If its just for hunting its a non issue but if you plan to shoot and practice often, the 30s are much better. My 28 Nosler throat has moved .017" in 125 rounds. Thats extreme. 500-700 and that guys done.

I love these conversations. It is so tough to stay out. I live in Western Wyoming. I think the 300 Win Mag is a tough cartridge to shoot well. I have shot it quite a bit. I won't shoot one again. The 7mm's are much easier to shoot well and it doesn't take as much weight in the bullet to have the same effect. A lung shot is a lung shot. It takes substantially more bullet in a 30 to have the same BC/penetration as the 7. I personally think the 6.5 are much easier to shoot well. I hunt every weekend from March to February. I have an opportunity to shoot any distance I can see. Rockchucks, Coyote's, Elk, Prarie Dogs. Richardson's ground squirrels. Deer etc. It's not the caliber it's the placement. I have had the opportunity to hunt with a lot of different marksmen carrying different calibers. I love hunting with the .270 crowd. They flat kill stuff. Single shot to the engine block. No flinching just plain marksmanship. I have a 7STW I don't shoot it. Extremely accurate but not necessary. My wife has a Model 7 in a 260. Holy buckets is it accurate. I lent a 6.5 Creedmoor to a friend that came to Wyoming to hunt antelope. He bought factory Hornady 140 Grain. I have never even shot the rifle they shot 2 antelope 1 at 650 and one at 1000. It is on utube. So go smaller than what you think. You won't be disappointed. I shoot a 6.5x47 Lapua for Elk. It has never let me down. I have shot a scad of Rockchucks at distances that have amazed me. If you want BC and Down Range Energy go 6.5 or 7. 30's are tough to shoot well.

7mm RemMag will certainly do it for you. Especially if you order it with a 26" 1:8 twist barrel, so you can shoot anything offered for 7mm, up to the Berger 195 EH's. If you shot the 195's, ballistically 1,200+ yard shots should not be a problem. Not sure of your skills, so I'm just stating what the rifle/cartridge should be capable of.
My skills aren't at 1200 yards yet. I wouldn't ever shoot over 600 yards at an animal. Just my personal opinion.
There's no arguing larger that all things being equal, heavier, larger diameter bullets kill better, but there are some high bc 7mm bullets capable of killing moose and elk very well. Realistically, how many elk and moose are you shooting? One a year, then go with a big 30, but if you're popping deer and antelope between getting elk or moose tags, a 7mm will serve very nice, mitigating some recoil on smaller animals that truly don't need that much gun to kill them. That being said, I use a 300 wby with 212 eldx to kill moose and elk, but don't bother dragging it around for deer

Another thing to consider is barrel life. If its just for hunting its a non issue but if you plan to shoot and practice often, the 30s are much better. My 28 Nosler throat has moved .017" in 125 rounds. Thats extreme. 500-700 and that guys done.

Realistically, it won't be a lot of animals per year. I figure maybe 100-200 shots a year max. That's one reason I bought the creedmoor. So I could shoot it a lot and not have to worry about barrel life too much.

Overall though, I think you guys have kinda convinced me to just go with 7mm rem mag. Kinda the best if both worlds with ammo availability, terminal ballistics, and barrel life.