short vs long mag

Before that they said similar things about the 308 Win and 30-06.
I still laugh at what they have done to the 220 Swift velocities. I still have early 60's Winchester 220 Swift ammo, that on my Magnetospeed actually run 4100 fps! Now any Swift ammo you find is listed at 22-250 velocities.

The velocities in every load book for everything out there have been dumbed down too! Sure am glad I have Quickload!
I just ambled over to Hornady's ballistic calculator and entered in a 180 grain bullet with a BC of 0.4 and a speed of 3000 fps (about a normal 300 WSM load) and 80 fps faster, or a normal 300 WM load. The difference is about 35 yards, meaning if you get 35 yards closer to your target with the WSM, terminal velocities are identical.

I just ambled over to Hornady's ballistic calculator and entered in a 180 grain bullet with a BC of 0.4 and a speed of 3000 fps (about a normal 300 WSM load) and 80 fps faster, or a normal 300 WM load. The difference is about 35 yards, meaning if you get 35 yards closer to your target with the WSM, terminal velocities are identical.
I'm a bigger fan of all the other differences much more than the 35yd stretch.!

Weight, convenience, barrel life, efficiency, case design, life (40*)
For whatever reason, short/fat cases are easier to find a load for in my experience.
Seem to stay in tune also. Something about efficient case designs.
I can't answer the technicals on that, but between my own and probably 10 others I can name offhand it's no fluke.

OK good stuff, many thanks! Years ago when I bought a rifle for an elk hunt (my first magnum) I got a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WSM, as opposed to 300 WM, because of those very things. Good to have them re-confirmed. Had to add a brake, though!

28 Nosler case is .464" longer at the shoulder than 7 mm WSM. Both are 35 degree shoulders. Long action magazine is about 0.8" longer than short action. That extra 0.34" of space for the bullet makes a world of difference for accommodating heavy-for-caliber bullets.

And the long action's extra 25 - 30% case capacity will get those heavy-for-caliber bullets up to speed at lower chamber pressures - no need to load "warm".

All that said, the big cases and slower powders seem to me to be a little less accurate than the smaller cases / faster powders.

Everything's a trade-off. Depends on what's most important to you.

I've been a lurking and learning member for a number of years. I'm 76 and have been a reloader sine around 1965. I got into reloading to improve the accuracy of my Rem 700 and to allow me to shoot more on my limited paper route earnings. This is my first post. Your comment "capacity to match bore diameter that will give great expansion ratio numbers" is a mystery to me but it seems like something I should understand. Would you mind explaining the concept or pointing me to where I can get an explanation?
Welcome from Illinois!
You will find everything you need here!!

I'll admit I have zero experience with any short mag, and very little with short action cartridges in general. Maybe if I tried them I'd see the light and never look back haha but I for one love my long and magnum length action cartridges.

I do see the merit in short barrel performance in a light handy rifle tho, the newer 6.8 western especially is honestly is the most appealing of the short mags to me were I do desire one, the original .300 and .270 wsm cartridges are certainly worth being here as well.

But one thing I never quite understood is what on earth people really notice regarding bolt throw length on a .308 vs a .30-06. I know the .308 is a bit shorter…I don't think it matters and I don't notice it in the field or at the bench enough either way to desire the short action for that reason, it's not a very good reason as far as im concerned.

The other thing I dont get is the purported weight savings IF you're comparing short mags to 06-length standard cartridges. Yes the action/receiver is shorter but it needs to be fatter/beefier too! If the stock and barrel weight are equal, would a .300 wsm rifle really be any lighter than a .30-06 rifle with its 1/2" shorter action? I doubt it. Now it would outperform it a bit, which is fully acknowledged and fine, performance is great, I've heard short fat cartridges are more inherently accurate and efficient, no argument here, I just don't buy the marketing side of things that makes it seem like the difference in bolt throw and rifle weight are what make short action magnums appealing. I certainly don't notice it in the real world and couldn't care less either way.

I'm trapped in the past I suppose though, somehow all 4 of my magnums are not only long or magnum length actions, but they're BELTED too 😱

At present the magnums are .257 weatherby, 300 win mag, .358 Norma mag, and .450 ackley. Still have my .270. Used to have a .308 and a .223, sold them, don't miss them, they didn't do anything for me. Also had a 8x57, a "medium" action haha that was nonetheless no shorter than a .30-06 action, sold that, don't miss it either.

The only short action rifle I have right now is a .243 win in a savage 99 that is a family heirloom and I honestly don't shoot it much at all, some years never. I guess I just don't like the shorties.
I agree that its not real to think there is a real difference in cycling a short action vs long action, I have shot and still do shoot Highpower across the course which has two parts of the match which are rapid fire and have always shot a bolt gun partially because I think it's fun to run a bolt very fast. I have shot many thousands of rounds rapid fire with my model 70's which were all long actions and when running the bolt very fast I can't tell any difference between them and the ruger precision rifle I use now. I went to a rpr because we can use scopes now and part of the rapid fire is a mandatory magazine change or recharge during the string and with my m70's I would recharge them with a stripper clip but with a scope in the way that is not possible. I have made one of my rpr's into a hunting rifle because I like the length of pull and cheek height adjustability and it's always in the back of your mind, could it shoot better if I loaded closer to the lands and I believe some of the vld bullets need to be very close to the lands to shoot well