7mm Sherman Short Mag vs 300 Win mag

TheDerkster

It just hit me when i chrono'ed the 7mm SS the other day. A 195 eol with 59 gr of R26 which was great on accuracy was pushing past 2900 fps. The ones i tested averaged around 2920-2930. The temperature was around 65 degrees. I didn't hit major pressure signs till around 61.5 to 62 gr of powder. This is a 28 inch krieger.

In contrast, Ive been looking up what people are using as their long range 300 win mag loads. It seems that something like a 210 Berger VLD with 79 grain of H1000 @ 2990 fps is about the best ive found. Of course this is using ACCURATE loads. Not maxing out the velocity. Shooting it at 3100 fps just because doesn't count. Id probably be pushing 3050' if i added that other 3 grains of powder again, but I get primer back flow and ejector marks.

So I guess what im getting at is I dont understand how it does it? 20 grains less powder and only 15 grain lighter, yet still almost at the same velocities comparatively.

I punched everything in to JBM keeping everything constant such as weather, etc except the bullet and velocities. My current set up with the 7mm SS will surpass that 300 win mag load i just mentioned at 700 yards as far as energy is concerned. At 700 yards, the 7mm will have 2002 foot pounds, where as the 300 win mag will have 2000. And the gap just gets wider from there. The drop stays within .1 moa until 700 yards and then the 300 mag starts to fall more quickly. Most of the at distance stuff has to do with ballistic coefficients because the 195 eol is extremely efficient and stream lined.

Still, it just baffles me how efficient that cartridge is. I was just thinking about buying a 300 win mag, but whats the point? I basically have one. Past 700 yards, im putting out more energy anyways. Before that, the numbers are still close. I guess ill just have to go build that 338 lapua and get my 6.5 creedmoor in an AR10 platform and call it good. Or maybe a 20mm as well but thats expensive.

Shhhhh!!! Don't tell the .30 supporters that the 7mm's are now surpassing them, they might have a stroke or go catatonic. :D

For the record, at current count, I have almost as many .30's as I do 7mm's... Which means I need to finally build some of my wildcat 7mm's. :cool:

I just ran the 195 EOL at 2900fps on ballistic and it seems the data may be corrupted. It Also overtakes the 338 300gr elite hunter launched at 3000fps at 1400y?

I just ran the 195 EOL at 2900fps on ballistic and it seems the data may be corrupted. It Also overtakes the 338 300gr elite hunter launched at 3000fps at 1400y?

I know that I have to use less elevation at 2000 yards then my buddy does with his 338 lapua...haha. Theoretically anyways. That's what the calculators were telling us. It surpasses that 300 win mag load I listed at 1500-1600 yards as far as when the bullet goes transonic.

Of course that's wildly dependent on speed. Ive only tried R26, and several other powders are in the line up. If I could hit 3000 and be in am accuracy node, I would have one mean round. It wouldnt stand up to the ultra mags and other high capacity cartridges, but it would come close. Wouldn't have the energy maybe, but at those ranges that it would matter, I shouldn't be shooting anything.

Derkster............Sounds like you have discovered what the rest who have built on the SS platform have found. This case will perform with the equivalent belted magnum, whether it be 6.5, 7mm or some of the others coming soon. (and with a LOT less powder). This little case at under 2" long is AMAZING! I was getting 3100' with my 7 (26" barrel) when I pushed it with the 180's, so I do not doubt your results. I will have a 270SS together soon and there are plans for larger calibers. Imagine a short action mt. rifle in .338 pushing 250 Bergers at 2900-3000'! Sounds like an elk rifle to me:D These are all TRUE short actions. I think RL33 might work behind the 195's with some pretty good results, and I no darn well that N570 would light it up. With brass now available for the SS, I think you will see a lot of people getting on board soon...................Rich

Derkster............Sounds like you have discovered what the rest who have built on the SS platform have found. This case will perform with the equivalent belted magnum, whether it be 6.5, 7mm or some of the others coming soon. (and with a LOT less powder). This little case at under 2" long is AMAZING! I was getting 3100' with my 7 (26" barrel) when I pushed it with the 180's, so I do not doubt your results. I will have a 270SS together soon and there are plans for larger calibers. Imagine a short action mt. rifle in .338 pushing 250 Bergers at 2900-3000'! Sounds like an elk rifle to me:D These are all TRUE short actions. I think RL33 might work behind the 195's with some pretty good results, and I no darn well that N570 would light it up. With brass now available for the SS, I think you will see a lot of people getting on board soon...................Rich

Whoa whoa whoa! Brass available? Rich, did you finally get someone on board for making factory brass, or are you still having to manually make the pre-formed brass yourself?

No, Rich is still making the ready to fire form brass, make it really simple especially when a lot of the fire form loads are shooting very well!
Never thought the little SS case would become what it has when we were throwing all the case designs around, kinda cool to think back on it!!!
The next year is going to be awesome, the 270 is going to get more traction and the barrel for the first 300 SS is in the shop waiting for a reamer then the 338 SS which has been the one I've been looking for. With addition of some different throating strategies we may see some of the sweetest performing true short action chambering available. Man, 6.5 to 338, pretty cool!!
This 7 SS is still kind of blowing my mind!!!!

No, Rich is still making the ready to fire form brass, make it really simple especially when a lot of the fire form loads are shooting very well!
Never thought the little SS case would become what it has when we were throwing all the case designs around, kinda cool to think back on it!!!
The next year is going to be awesome, the 270 is going to get more traction and the barrel for the first 300 SS is in the shop waiting for a reamer then the 338 SS which has been the one I've been looking for. With addition of some different throating strategies we may see some of the sweetest performing true short action chambering available. Man, 6.5 to 338, pretty cool!!
This 7 SS is still kind of blowing my mind!!!!

I hear ya!

Its hard to develop anything new nowadays that is as successful as the 7mm SS seems to be. I can see possibly getting factory runs of brass if we can get it to get more traction. Not very many people know about it.

I have the 6.5 Sherman and it's been a lot of fun to mess around with - I think I need a 338 SS sometime soon. Just a few more Sportsmans Warehouse rewards cards and I'll have enough to pick up a donor action (I'm thinking a Tikka T3 might be fun to try out this time).

Rich - what barrel length would you recommend with the 338? 26"?

what exactly is the 7mm Sherman short mag and what brass are you using. I not familiar with this at all. sound interesting

what exactly is the 7mm Sherman short mag and what brass are you using. I not familiar with this at all. sound interesting

The 7mm SS Mag is a cartridge based off the 7mm SAUM. Its been improved with a sharper shoulder that is pushed back so that you can run long bullets in a full length mag. My 195 EOL just barely fits with the 7mm SS, so i doubt it would for sure in a 7mm SAUM.

The case is trimmed to 1.95."

The process is simple really. Get a 7mm SAUM FL sizing die, shorten it about .16-.17 inches so you have some room to play with. Set the die so that the brass is just barely short enough to allow the bolt to close. You want just a little bit of crush, but not so much you cant close the bolt.

Trim the necks as well to about .0135 or so thick. If you use an outside neck turner, youll need to run them back through a sizer to get the necks to the right dimensions. I think the inside/outside turners you probably wouldn't have too. Youll have a pretty good sized donut youll need to get rid off that was formed when you push the shoulders back since the brass flows from the shoulder into the neck.

Load up with about 8-9 grains of Titewad (Charge varies with powder), put a piece of tissue or toilet paper ontop of the powder, and then top with 2 minute cream of wheat. To seal up the neck, fill it with wax or more tissue/toilet paper. I used a candle warmer and poured wax it the necks. Worked good and smelled great!

Trim to 1.95." Then your done. The only real extra step over normal brass prep for new stock is loading the powder with COW and wax to start fire forming. I neck trim, chamfer flash hole, length trim, and full length size anyways. You end up with the way they should have designed the 7mm SAUM in the first place. Im tickled with it.

You can get Norma brass from midway for about a $1.52 a piece. Rich has it in stock as well. His brass looks much better than mine. I didn't have a very good trim on my necks for some reason. He also has the dies and everything in stock. He sells the Whidden dies which are super dies, and even if you have problems, they are extremely willing and happy to fix anything that might be wrong. Rich also has the reamer and go gauge as well by the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.