7mm Rem Mag vs 300 Win Mag

I still believe the Hornady bullets have inflated BC's. But that's my personal opinion

They're actually pretty close. I used the Mach 1.75 bc they publish for 143eldx and had to move to the Mach 2, it was too low. I used the Mach 2.25 for the 130eldm. Shot both to 1k, they were spot on

If you are manly in any way (beard, wear boots, have calluses etc.) get the .300WM

If what I said "triggered" you in any way - get the 7mm

It isn't a question of, 'what can this caliber do for you' - its more 'what are you going to do for this caliber...'

If you are manly in any way (beard, wear boots, have calluses etc.) get the .300WM

If what I said "triggered" you in any way - get the 7mm

It isn't a question of, 'what can this caliber do for you' - its more 'what are you going to do for this caliber...'
Hmmm, I have all of those, but still prefer 7mmRM over .300WM. Yes, I own rifles in both cartridges as well...And cartridges much larger than both being discussed.

As for triggered? Yeah, I guess so...Ignorance & stupidity do tend to trigger me. :cool:

I still believe the Hornady bullets have inflated BC's. But that's my personal opinion
Think what you'd like, but I've tested the 140 eld out to 1000 and it's spot on. It would make zero sense to be true on o e bullet and lie on the other. Alittle research will show the 180 is pretty dang close to advertised or spot on. Heck even running the 183 smk through the 4dof shows it beating the 195 eol

Think what you'd like, but I've tested the 140 eld out to 1000 and it's spot on. It would make zero sense to be true on o e bullet and lie on the other. Alittle research will show the 180 is pretty dang close to advertised or spot on. Heck even running the 183 smk through the 4dof shows it beating the 195 eol

I've had great results with the 147's out of my creedmoor and my GAP 4s out to 1350yds.
Tested the 162eld-x and 180 eld-m on my 7 mag out to 700 and spot on using the bc printed in the box.
Haven't tried the 7 mag farther due to the lack of a better scope. For now it's wearing a 3-9 terra.

Due to marketing, etc, I still hear people say they prefer the 7mm Mag because it "kicks less" than the 300! I always ask hunters what they are shooting, here in Utah ( as most if not all of you know or live here too) you will see more 7 mags than 300s. Only a handful use 338 or bigger. Even in East Texas now, you will see 7mm mags , but I did know one guy who used the 300 in a BAR!

It's not just marketing, I own both, and have shot both cartridges extensively... The 7mmRM really does kick less. Same goes comparing my 7mm STW's versus my .300 Ackley.

To be honest I am building it to compete with both of those chamberings with either the 180 or 195 with many choices of brass

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.