7mm mag vs. 300 win mag

Spinnerbaitslinger

Hello,

I am looking at buying a savage long range hunter in either 7mm mag or 300 win mag. The main purpose for this rifle is shooting between 400 and 700 yards at steel, milk jugs and maybe targets. I will be reloading my own ammo for it. Which one should i pick and why.

Thanks
Troy

Either one will do well for what you ask to 700 yards. I am a 300 win fan, but the 7mm will have less recoil and a little cheaper to shoot since you are reloading. There is a little better selection of quality brass for a 300 wm but for target shooting you should be ablw to keep the 7mm brass going a good while. I really dont think you could make a bad choice here. But I would go 300 win cuz I like them and I insist on good brass for my rifles.

Jeff

Hello,

I am looking at buying a savage long range hunter in either 7mm mag or 300 win mag. The main purpose for this rifle is shooting between 400 and 700 yards at steel, milk jugs and maybe targets. I will be reloading my own ammo for it. Which one should i pick and why.

Thanks
Troy

I think the 7mm will give you a more comfortable shooting experience. Have you considered a .308?

Thanks for the replies, I already have a .30-06 and a 7mm-08, love them both but they are my hunting guns, i want something with a little more umph for a dedicated long range gun.

The 7mm mag is sounding good since it recoils less out of the two. The savage long range hunter does have a muzzle break which will cut down on a little of the kick

I have a 7mmRM reamer and a 300WM reamer.
I have (4) 7mmRM rifles and (3) 300WM rifles.
I have hunted with both with 150 gr and 180 gr bullets.

I think the 300WM is clearly better for elk at close range.
I think the 7mmRM is clearly better for deer at long range.

But mostly it does not make much difference.
I will build more 7mmRM rifle(s) for 2012.

Antelope2011Montanac.jpg

I could get it done with a 30-30 or 338LM, but I am choosing 7mmRM right now.

7mag. 180 Berger hybrid at 3000 is superb ballistically. You gotta run the 215-230 in the win to get similar ballistics. If there's nothin' big 'n hairy on the recieving end, I'd take the lighter recoil. If you want to push the ranges to a mile, the 230 offers an advantage.

7MM REM- there is plenty of quality brass available (Norma,RWS,Nosler) ands if you really want Lapua, resize 300WM brass. All things said,not much difference between the two. More of a preference issue. Go for the 7 JMHO.:D

My vote is 300 WM with 210 Bergers, with the addition of a good brake it really tames recoil of the 300WM.

Both are great rounds and most here have both for that reason. When you throw in the old adage, all things being equal, the seven will win because of the BC advantage, when the weights are equal. Then if you factor in recoil, it wins again. Accuracy wise, they both are equal in ability. For your specific needs, I think the 7 mag would be tough to beat. JMHO.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. :D 7 STW. gun)

7mag. 180 Berger hybrid at 3000 is superb ballistically. You gotta run the 215-230 in the win to get similar ballistics. If there's nothin' big 'n hairy on the recieving end, I'd take the lighter recoil. If you want to push the ranges to a mile, the 230 offers an advantage.

You just have to be sure to add enough powder to give it that advantage ;)

The 190gr Matrix or the new 195gr Berger EOL Hybrid would probably even out the odds a little bit, even at extreme range...

Since it is for target shooting, you can wear ear protection, get the 7mmRM with a muzzle break and it will be like shooting your 7mm-08. With my experience with these two, the 7RM seems to be a little more accurate and doesn''t kick near as bad. Those 30 cals. are very good but they will punch you hard.gun)lightbulb
FE

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.