300 win mag vs 7mm rm

vitaminado

Hi guys.
What caliber would you choose for long distance hunting?
-The 300 wm is with 26 "barrel and 1:10 twist. thinking of using 210-215gr bullets
-7mm rm, 26 barrel and 1: 8 twist. thinking 180gr bullets.

What speed can I expect from these calibers with these bullets?

regards

First if you are changing twist on the 7RM then you need to consider doing same to 300WM to 1:9 to shoot the heavyweights better. Either way, I've owned both and settled on the 300WM for just that reason to shoot heavier bullets. No need to explain why for LRH.

If for just hunting I would do 7rm for less recoil. If you don't mind weight more and maybe more range ELR shooting the heavies out of 300 likely be better.

You can build each one to be pretty much ballistic equivalents if you design them to shoot the heavies.

Last edited:
The recoil is a moot point if both have brakes. If the rifle isnt braked then the 7mm will definitely have the advantage of less recoil. As far as ballistics go, you can just about flip a coin. Wind drift, and drop probably favor the 7mm depending on which bullets you use. 300 will hit harder and has a greater variety of long range hunting bullets. After saying all that, I'm a 7mm guy

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.