Loading big calibers for smaller game

DREBS

If a guy was moving from Alaska to New Mexico and had one rifle chambered in a 300 win mag and inherited some reloading stuff. Without offering a "get another rifle " solution and he wanted to load that gun to hunt antelope. And you were concerned about not ruining as much meat as possible

How would you do it ? Asking for a friend

Heavy bullets loaded as slow as possible ?
Light bullets loaded as slow as possible?

None of the above ? Find a fmj bullet?

Also where does extreme lower speed begin to hurt velocity as much as trying pushing a bullet faster than an accuracy mode hurt ? No limits imposed except for where twist becomes unstable ?

I realize it's not ideal to a diffent caliber, but sometimes we work with what we have

If a guy was moving from Alaska to New Mexico and had one rifle chambered in a 300 win mag and inherited some reloading stuff. Without offering a "get another rifle " solution and he wanted to load that gun to hunt antelope. And you were concerned about not ruining as much meat as possible

Also where does extreme lower speed begin to hurt velocity as much as trying pushing a bullet faster than an accuracy mode hurt ? No limits imposed except for where twist becomes unstable ?

I realize it's not ideal to a diffent caliber, but sometimes we work with what we have
Two words... Copper bullets

I'd run whatever shoots best out of your rifle. I can say that a 190gr. Berger VLD out of my 300WM absolutely flattens them out past 500 yards. Antelope aren't particularly hard to kill. But like anything else, putting the bullet in the right spot is key. Focus on that and you're golden.
I'm surprised by some of the answers based on the old school preconceptions out there that's I've thought were real such as a 300 win mag will ruin too much meat. Based on the answers I'm guessing this is not an absolute and more of a rule of thumb ?

So a 243 85 gr vs a 300 win mag 190 gr on an antelope at 200 yards .. we we're always told growing up that the 300 win mag was "overkill " and if it's for sake of recoil and what's needed for the job fine.. but I wa sand many others were always lead to believe a 300 win mag is "dumb" on an antelope or deer because you ruin too much meat.. wives tale? I'm willing to accept it I'm coming back into hunting from a 2009 understanding and I know a lot have been dispelled and a lot has changed from the old guard

but I wa sand many others were always lead to believe a 300 win mag is "dumb" on an antelope or deer because you ruin too much meat.. wives tale?
Im going to make a guess that it has more to do with the projectile and not the caliber. One thing we do know is a larger more powerful caliber is not necessary for smaller quarry so thats probably the origins of the wives tales.....

I've used the same rifle/cartridge for all of my big game hunting and the occasional varmint hunt since 1990..…. a .375 AI.

No changes for different game….. one load and one zero for everything. Seldom have I lost much meat…..except with a poor bullet placement!

Addendum: Bullet used is a Barnes 250 TTSX @ 3130 mv

Never once have I felt the need for a different cartridge! memtb

Last edited:
I'm surprised by some of the answers based on the old school preconceptions out there that's I've thought were real such as a 300 win mag will ruin too much meat. Based on the answers I'm guessing this is not an absolute and more of a rule of thumb ?

So a 243 85 gr vs a 300 win mag 190 gr on an antelope at 200 yards .. we we're always told growing up that the 300 win mag was "overkill " and if it's for sake of recoil and what's needed for the job fine.. but I wa sand many others were always lead to believe a 300 win mag is "dumb" on an antelope or deer because you ruin too much meat.. wives tale? I'm willing to accept it I'm coming back into hunting from a 2009 understanding and I know a lot have been dispelled and a lot has changed from the old guard
Shoot them through the ribs, there isn't much meat to loose, regardless of what cartridge/bullet you're using. Misread the wind or pull the shot and drill that same 'lope through both shoulders...that's a whole different story. Shot placement is key. I tote my 300 not because that much horsepower is necessary but because it is freakin' accurate waaay out there and that 190gr. VLD bucks the wind really well. Every critter I've shot with combination has been DRT and I haven't left any meat in the field after taking the animal apart that I wouldn't have left had I shot it in the head.

Use lighter projectiles and slow them down. You can do lite loads for the 300 win that will bring it down to pretty much a 308 win. Slowing it down will save barrel wear and powder

I should elaborate on the copper bullet explanation. As mentioned, a broadside shot through the lungs is very unlikely to ruin much meat, with any bullet. However, if you get into a quarter it will likely cause a lot of bloodshot "jelly" with almost any caliber with conventional cup and core bullets. My niece had to throw away the front half of a white tail buck that she shot with a 243 a couple years ago. Just all bloodshot and nasty.

On the other hand, a good cooper bullet will, in my experience, never cause that kind of trauma. A few years ago I made a bad shot on a doe running across a field, took her right on the front and top of the hips. This would normally ruin a majority of the rear quarters plus tenderloins. While there were none fragments to clean, the old addage if being able to "eat right up to the bullet hole" held true. Very, very little wasted meat. It made me a firm believer!