Cartridge carrying strategy

I had a friend that carried two different, loads/Bullets on his first elk hunt....an epic fail. Results: a wounded elk, that someone else worked their a&# off to recover.

IMHO....do your homework and find one bullet that is good for every animal and situation that you will encounter. If that can't be accomplished with your rifle/caliber....maybe you should reconsider your hunting package!

My wife and I have used the same caliber, bullet design/weight, and zero for 20 +years. And...has worked very well for us from less than 30 yards to beyond 400 yards, on animals from Fox, deer/antelope, elk, bear, moose. Boring I know... but very effective!
As previously stated....keep it simple! memtb

Last edited:
My wife and I have used the same caliber, bullet design/weight, and zero for 20 +years. And...has worked very well for us from less than 30 yards to beyond 400 yards, on animals from Fox, deer/antelope, elk, bear, moose. Boring I know... but very effective!

As previously stated....keep it simple! memtb

300-400yds is where the advantage of the 2nd bullet begins. If you don't engage animals past 400yds, don't bother.

I've used two bullets for more than 20yrs. The real advantage has been in the past 10-15 years when I started focusing/preparing/planning for shots past 600yds. But all I've ever experienced is positive advantages.

Buck fever can make a mess of a situation even when using the perfect components.

The real value of the 2nd bullet and load is being able to select a bullet that outperforms each end of the spectrum, compared to hoping one bullet will excel at both close AND long range.
1) One bullet for high velocity impacts from the muzzle out to ~400yds. This bullet will never shrapnel/explode. It will always maintain a minimum of 50% of its original weight after impact, and more commonly ~75% weight retention.
2) One bullet for lower velocity impacts at ranges past ~400yds. Accuracy and certain expansion at the lower impact velocities are the priorities.

But I still experience excessive meat damage from Berger VLDs/Hybrids/Tacticals and Hornady ELD-M style bullets at fairly long impact yardages. Last season a 300gr Berger made a bigger mess of a heart shot caribou at 715yds than I cared for. So I'm in the process of converting over to Al-tipped monolithic bullets for long range use. The BCs are a bit less than the Berger and tipped Hornady variety of bullets, but good enough for my needs - which end at a maximum range of around 1000yds. The Hammer bullets are a good bullet by all accounts, and would be a great choice for the long range hunter that prefers a "one-bullet fits all".

I'm trying some AL-tipped lathe turned copper bullets first, because I've always preferred tipped bullets as I've experienced more reliable expansion from tipped lead core jacketed bullets. If these tipped bullets disappoint in any way, I'll likely order some Hammer lathe-turned copper bullets.

But I'll still carry a second bullet/load in my magazine for close range bear defense and harvesting game animals at closer ranges. Because the long high BC long range bullets I shoot are loaded too long for magazine lengths and/or I don't want their tips being slammed/damaged in the magazine during recoil. I load long range bullets single shot style after I've prepared for a long range shot. Up until that point, I'm carrying controlled expansion Swift A-Frame style bullets in the magazine. If hunting by myself, I may also hunt with one chambered, so I'm most prepared for a close range encounter of any prey or predator.

Last edited:
I carry my extras in my pocket. Pocket for rounds, pocket for toilet paper and a pocket for cell phone and granola bars. In the woods, one never knows when you have to go.....

Thanks, Thought I'd stop by in as much as it's nasty outside. Guess I'm past my prime in loading. never carried multiple loads ever.

I build a load and bullet and correct jump that shoots what I require and I use it, whether it's 50 yards or 500 yards, the result is the same, just at 50, they tend to pencil through but put in the right place it really don't matter anyway.

My pocket keeps them warm too.

I'll be around from time to time. I see Len revised the forum platform again. Lost my old picture but I replaced to with something more to my liking anyway.

Been shooting handguns more that long guns lately. Got a 460 XVR long barrel and it's great on whitetails up here and much less critical to load for. Been thinking about a 460 bolt gun for a while now, may have John Pierce build me one on a Savage action.

SidecarFlip, I find it pretty difficult to fault your points. We, too, have rifles that are good to longer ranges, though prefer to keep them under 500 yards....would much prefer every shot under 50 yards, but that's not realistic.
I guess that the wife and I could carry multiple rifles with multiple loads.....where do you realistically draw the line at insanity?

Sorry, I try to deal in reality! memtb

So, I would love to have one load that excels at 100yds and at point blank, but that ain't gonna happen. Knowing what phorwath is talking about, there is no way I want an ELD-X in my chamber when I'm stalking moose in brown bear country. I'm not ready to risk my life on being able to break down a 10ft brownie with a frangible long range bullet. Give me a heavy copper or bonded a-frame or partition. but then when the time comes to punch the ticket at 650, it's heavy high bc vld all the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.