Cartridge Choices

BoomFlop

I'm finding it really hard to choose a cartridge for my next build. I build my first custom rifle this year and although I love it, I'm pretty disappointed in the velocity based on "internet claims". It's a 7 Sherman Short with 22" Rock Creek Carbon (8 twist) and I'm shooting 180 Hybrids with RL26 at 2785. It shoots great, just about 100-125 fps slower than I "should" be getting.

Anyway, I am looking to have another rifle built. I'm kind of leaning towards a fast twist 22, 6mm. or 25 cal and I will want to use it for target, coyotes and deer to about 400 yards. It will be shot with a TBAC Ultra 7 Gen 2 suppressor, so I'd like a shorter barrel, 22" being the longest I think I'd want (shorter preferred). I'll build it off a Kelbly Tactical action again for sure. However, I'm open to everything else. I'll probably back down on scope this time to the 4-16x50 ATACR as my Sherman has the 5-25x56 ATACR.

Have:
Remington 700 Mountain DBM 7-08 shooting 120's BT with Varget

Remington LTR 223 (9 twist) shooting 40-55 gr BT with Benchmark and Varget

Remington LTR 308 shooting 168 Classic Hunters with Varget

Kelbly Sherman (listed above)

Thoughts, recommendations? Sure is fun thinking about it, but equally frustrating. LOL

Have a great day!
Steve

Had a 25 Creed built for my son with a 26" barrel. He is running 135 Berger's with H4350 and it shoots dots at 2970. Has 120 rounds down the barrel and May speed up some more.

Keep the ideas coming!

I'm finding it really hard to choose a cartridge for my next build. I build my first custom rifle this year and although I love it, I'm pretty disappointed in the velocity based on "internet claims". It's a 7 Sherman Short with 22" Rock Creek Carbon (8 twist) and I'm shooting 180 Hybrids with RL26 at 2785. It shoots great, just about 100-125 fps slower than I "should" be getting.

Anyway, I am looking to have another rifle built. I'm kind of leaning towards a fast twist 22, 6mm. or 25 cal and I will want to use it for target, coyotes and deer to about 400 yards. It will be shot with a TBAC Ultra 7 Gen 2 suppressor, so I'd like a shorter barrel, 22" being the longest I think I'd want (shorter preferred). I'll build it off a Kelbly Tactical action again for sure. However, I'm open to everything else. I'll probably back down on scope this time to the 4-16x50 ATACR as my Sherman has the 5-25x56 ATACR.

Have:
Remington 700 Mountain DBM 7-08 shooting 120's BT with Varget

Remington LTR 223 (9 twist) shooting 40-55 gr BT with Benchmark and Varget

Remington LTR 308 shooting 168 Classic Hunters with Varget

Kelbly Sherman (listed above)

Thoughts, recommendations? Sure is fun thinking about it, but equally frustrating. LOL

Have a great day!
Steve
The internet is the absolute worst place to get an idea on velocities a cartridge should be performing at.

Take a look into the 6PRC and 6 PRC Primal.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I've got a 22" 6.5 SS that easily pushes 124 grain hammers at 3250 and 85 grain hammers at 3750. Either would get you 0 to 400 pretty flat and with some outstanding terminal performance and pretty consistent on delivering exit holes without blowing the hide to smithereens. In general, if I was looking at the 0-400 range I'd be looking for hyper velocity out of a small for caliber monolithic bullet like the hammer, they penetrate extremely well on almost any shot angle and if you push them super fast the "boom flops" are pretty consistent. Added benefit is that with the lighter for caliber bullets and a suppressor, recoil is negligible, it's almost like shooting a pellet gun.

Last edited:
Steve,

You gotta love internet claims. It might not be what you hope for a velocity but at your set-up is no slouch. With a 200Y zero at my altitude, it is a formidable elk set-up at 1930 FPS and 1489 FT-LBS at 800Y,

7SS full tilt max loads will get you more speed. But, brass won't last, and accuracy might not be there.
My 24" 7SS is pushing a 184 Hyb @ 2797 w. H1000, or 2916 w. RL26. Neither are max loads, but both are ridiculously accurate.

I think you already have a great rifle option in the 25CM. Out to 400 yards is a no-brainer. More like 700-800+. Light recoil, ample bullet availability (also a 134 ELD-M being released soon), brass from Alpha or neck down Lapua 6.5CM brass. Decent barrel life will let you shoot it quite a bit as well.

I love a fast twist 6mm. I have a few a 243 AI and a few 6mm Creemoor rifles. I would say any fast twist 6mm that gets the velocity you are hoping for would be a winner. I also see tons of merit in a 25 Creedmoor.

The issue I have is I shoot called coyotes close and my deer are usually pretty close as well. However, my LTR's with Swarovski scopes are boringly accurate (LOL), but more so just plain cartridges.