• .264 Win Mag

Votes: 3 7.5%

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • .280 AI

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • 7mm Rem Mag

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters
is there a marked decrease in recoil of the 280ai vs the 7mag? or are they about the same?

The 280 AI will have less recoil shot from the same gun. I wouldn't say it is a significant difference by any means, at least not IMO (depends what you think of as significant). They are comparable enough in that aspect that I wouldn't use it much in picking one over the other.

If you want a lightweight 500 yard rifle for elk hunting then a 6.5x284 would be an excellent choice.
Don't let others convince you that it's not an elk round, I killed two bulls last year with my super light 6.5 Saum one at 200, the other at 350 yards.
I used a 140 partition for the closer shot, and a 147 ELD-M for the longer.
Both bulls died nearly instantly.
Shot placement and ability to track your shots ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT THING for long range hunting.
I love the 7 mags but not in a light package.
I wouldn't suggest a 6mm but as an example my buddy dropped a cow elk at 450 yards this last season with a 243 ,perfect shot placement and she went down on the spot.
For 500 yards and under, take your pick.
For what it's worth, I've killed 25+ bulls with a 6.5 along with a couple moose, black bear, and countless deer. On a light rifle, you will likely shoot it better with less recoil.
I agree with both. A well placed 6.5 will kill any elk without issue within that 500 yard limit (and certainly further depending on the rifle/bullet/shooter). I prefer a larger round for elk and up (such as the 7 RM and 280 AI options) as elk are some tough jokers who can take a hit.

If recoil is a concern, add a muzzle brake, I have a 7 rem mag in factory rifle in 24" barrel un-braked and have to wear a shoulder pads when sitting at the bench, I also have a 28 Nosler that is custom and has a muzzle brake, I sit and shoot it all day in normal clothes no pad on my shoulder, it even kicks less than my 270 win.

When I seen he title of the thread my first question was does he reload ?
Then what is he going to hunt?
[x] reloads
[x] elk
given the choices ... 280AI

Be Safe,

When I seen he title of the thread my first question was does he reload ?
Then what is he going to hunt?
[x] reloads
[x] elk
given the choices ... 280AI

Be Safe,
you say given the choices, is there something else to consider? what would you say if elk is off the list?

you say given the choices, is there something else to consider? what would you say if elk is off the list?

Certainly any of the cartridges listed will kill all of the game you listed. I'm a believer that bigger holes make better blood trails. Though I have a 7RM, 270, and a 280AI in the safe right now, I'm not a fan of belted cartridges. If elk wasn't on the list I might lean toward the 270 some, but then again the bullet selection for us reloaders is better at .284 than .277.

I'm going to also suggest a 7mm rem mag 26in 1:8 twist. The 7mm mag is a very versatile round, and the recoil is still manageable in a light package. My 7mm weighs about 9lbs and I can take 162s at 3125fps no issues. Load it with the heavier 180s-195s and your going to have a very good long range rig.

I'm going to also suggest a 7mm rem mag 26in 1:8 twist. The 7mm mag is a very versatile round, and the recoil is still manageable in a light package. My 7mm weighs about 9lbs and I can take 162s at 3125fps no issues. Load it with the heavier 180s-195s and your going to have a very good long range rig.

can you "download" a 7mag? so that its not quite as fast, maybe to 280ai levels?

would that 1:8 twist give me a range from say the 175/180gr down to like 140's for bullet choices?

can you "download" a 7mag? so that its not quite as fast, maybe to 280ai levels?

would that 1:8 twist give me a range from say the 175/180gr down to like 140's for bullet choices?
You can load to whatever you want but without adequate case fill you run the risk of a wide es on ur velocity. It's better to shoot lighter bullets to mitigate recoil rather than lowering velocity. Yes that 8t barrel will shoot 140s fine.

IMO If ur shooting an elk every 5-8 years get the 6.5. If more often go 7mm, if ur shooting an elk every year go with a 30cal or bigger

You can load to whatever you want but without adequate case fill you run the risk of a wide es on ur velocity. It's better to shoot lighter bullets to mitigate recoil rather than lowering velocity. Yes that 8t barrel will shoot 140s fine.

IMO If ur shooting an elk every 5-8 years get the 6.5. If more often go 7mm, if ur shooting an elk every year go with a 30cal or bigger

its deer every year, and id like to be able to do elk if the chance comes up in the future.

its deer every year, and id like to be able to do elk if the chance comes up.
A 6.5 will easily kill an elk if you can shoot it well. Theres good advice with muzzle brakes, they work great at managing recoil. If ur not gonna use a brake in a lightweight rifle I'd go with a 6.5 and shoot it lots

Asking for a caliber suggestion is like asking what flavor ice cream is best.....but I hope you found what you are looking for.
oh i know. im just unsure between these choices. i think i just need to pick one and go. im leaning towards 270 based on ammo availability and recoil.

im concerned about it being manageable since its going to be pretty lightweight.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.