Votes: 3 7.5%

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • .280 AI

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • 7mm Rem Mag

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters

raider1v1

I am going to purchase parts for a lightweight custom hunting rifle based on a trued 700 long action. I am having a bit of trouble picking a cartridge. I do reload so its not a huge issue to do my own ammo. I also know that all of these are commercially available; some more than others.

I have it narrowed down to:

6.5x284
.264 win mag
.280 AI
7mm Rem mag.

The animals that could/would be hunted with this are Whitetail, Mule Deer, Antelope, Hogs and Elk. The max distance id feel comfortable taking a shot at with optimal conditions is about 500yds.

what do you guys suggest? Or better, what questions should i ask myself to help narrow the choices down? does the recommendation change if elk is off the list?

Last edited:
6.5x284 or 280ai would be my choices for a lightweight build to shoot out to 500.
Decide whether you want 6.5 or 7mm bullets and which bullet you plan on using. Build it around that criteria

With Elk as one of your animals to hunt, I would go with 7mm Rem. Mag, the reason I mention this, my Taxidermist use to carry a 270 win and mentioned each time it would take two to three rounds to bring one down, he and his friends switched to 7 rem mag and solved his problems.

With Elk as one of your animals to hunt, I would go with 7mm Rem. Mag, the reason I mention this, my Taxidermist use to carry a 270 win and mentioned each time it would take two to three rounds to bring one down, he and his friends switched to 7 rem mag and solved his problems.
what if Elk is taken off the list and i do a 2-gun approach?

If elk was taken out, I would take the 6.5x284 for a lightweight build and it would be plenty for the rest of those out to 500. If you want it to take all those originally listed I would agree with most others with the 7 RM or I would be very comfortable with the 280 AI as well. Although any of them would kill elk effectively out to that distance with a well place shot, I just prefer the extra energy of the 7 RM and 280 AI for elk sized game.

Last edited:
I love my long action 6.5-284 Norma. Potent round, accurate as all hell, low recoil and I believe it's the best of the 6.5 mm cartridges. Many people are killing elk and moose with this cartridge, so it's no slouch. That being said, my dedicated elk rifle is a 300 WSM with a 7 STW as the back up. The 6.5-284 is a great deer and antelope killer.
You can do it all with a 7 Rem Mag, but it will probably be quite a bit heavier than the 6.5
Aren't these the fun kind of choices you have to make?!!!??

If elk was taken out, I would take the 6.5x284 for a lightweight build and it would be plenty for the rest of those out to 500. If you want it to take all those originally listed I would agree with most others with the 7 RM or I would be very comfortable with the 280 AI as well. Although any of them would kill elk effectively out to that distance with a well place shot, I just prefer the extra energy of the 7 RM and 280 AI for elk sized game.
is there a marked decrease in recoil of the 280ai vs the 7mag? or are they about the same?

I am going to purchase parts for a lightweight custom hunting rifle based on a trued 700 long action. I am having a bit of trouble picking a cartridge. I do reload so its not a huge issue to do my own ammo. I also know that all of these are commercially available; some more than others.

I have it narrowed down to:

6.5x284
.264 win mag
.280 AI
7mm Rem mag.

The animals that could/would be hunted with this are Whitetail, Mule Deer, Antelope, Hogs and Elk. The max distance id feel comfortable taking a shot at with optimal conditions is about 500yds.

what do you guys suggest? Or better, what questions should i ask myself to help narrow the choices down?
If you want a lightweight 500 yard rifle for elk hunting then a 6.5x284 would be an excellent choice.
Don't let others convince you that it's not an elk round, I killed two bulls last year with my super light 6.5 Saum one at 200, the other at 350 yards.
I used a 140 partition for the closer shot, and a 147 ELD-M for the longer.
Both bulls died nearly instantly.
Shot placement and ability to track your shots ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT THING for long range hunting.
I love the 7 mags but not in a light package.
I wouldn't suggest a 6mm but as an example my buddy dropped a cow elk at 450 yards this last season with a 243 ,perfect shot placement and she went down on the spot.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.