• .264 Win Mag

Votes: 3 7.5%

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • .280 AI

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • 7mm Rem Mag

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters
264 WM just so you can explain to everyone at the range what it is! I swear I get the dumbest looks on peoples faces when I tell them what I'm shooting. Oh, and because it's an awesome round :)

Most calibers are light/manageable with the right break......

My only non-breaked rifle is a 280AI in a light weight format and the recoil is very light.

My least favorite on your list for elk would be the 270.

I have both the 6.5-284 and 7 rem mag, if elk were in the equation I would go bigger and use the 7 mag. If it will be used for exclusively for deer sized game I would do the 6.5-284 you'll have lapua brass available, lighter recoil and plenty of bullets to choose from.

Go with a 7 mag and don't look back. I have taken large bodied whitetails (265 pounds) with one shot kill with mine. If recoil is a question the put a brake on it

If you're recoil puss like I am , run a 6.5x284 with a brake. They're a dream to shoot and will cleanly take any elk that ever lived out to 500 yards.

A well placed bullet is what matters , if gut shoot them with a 338 you won't have any better success.

Your building not buying? At the end of the day it's all about bullets, and those are changing all the time. To keep recoil down you'll look at lighter bullets, opposing that is heavy for caliber generally fly better, and penetrate better given similar construction.

The heavier bullets in 6.5 appeal to me more than the others. 140-160, is going to give less recoil than 180-195.

Those stating a preference, and qualifying it with a particular twist are on the correct track in my opinion.

Bullets are getting longer, heavier, made of different materials, with fewer gaps in the lineup, and can be custom ordered more readily than ever. I wouldn't normally even consider the 270's, or a .264 Win Mag in the past, the ability to truly order, barrels and bullets to your individual needs make them legitimately on the list.

I picked the .264, but any of those listed are viable choices, and I'd rather have the opportunity to tailor the barrel/bullets to my needs, than choose between them.

1-8 twist 22-24 inch 270. plenty of factory ammo everywhere. for long range or elk load the heavy berger or matrix bullets. hammer bullets make some real nice all copper monos if in a no lead zone that will also need the faster twist

1-8 twist 22-24 inch 270. plenty of factory ammo everywhere. for long range or elk load the heavy berger or matrix bullets. hammer bullets make some real nice all copper monos if in a no lead zone that will also need the faster twist
will the 1:8 shoot the 140 and 150s that are available now? the 1:10 is the only option from proof. the reason i was looking at proof was i would want to run a can on it and i need 5/8x24 threads.

Last edited:
Hammer says 1-8" will shoot the 156. Steve stays conservative on twist so it should serve almost everything out there.

I don't understand Proof being the only choice? Or 1-10" being their only option?

Berger indicates 1-8" for the 170 is good to go.

Hammer says 1-8" will shoot the 156. Steve stays conservative on twist so it should serve almost everything out there.

I don't understand Proof being the only choice? Or 1-10" being their only option?

Berger indicates 1-8" for the 170 is good to go.
im not sure of another company besides Christensen arms that has carbon/light barrels that i can thread a suppressor on to w/ 5/8x24 threads. so thats why i was stuck with the 1:10 for the .277 barrels.

helix six precision will do custom carbon barrels from info I read on other sites. yes 1-8 will be ok for the 140-150 class of bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.