Can you eat CWD deer

I have only seen one deer I know had CWD. Was a doe in Utah about 7 years ago in the Manti La Sal Nat. Forest near Moab. It was skin and bones . Was on a quad not 10 yards from her. She just stould there like dead. I wanted to shot her to put out of misery but you know the deal....

Last edited:
I am in an area in northern Idaho (Unit 14 & 15) that had a few mulie's test positive for CWD last year.
Idaho is showing concern over it spreading to other herds including elk. Even though IdF&G will send a free CWD test kit (You have to cut out the lymphnodes) they are saying test results will take 6 weeks. Sooo...if you pay to have a whitetail / elk butchered and a 20-30 pounds of specialty sausage, you are into it for $300 - $500. Then what do you do if the test is positive six weeks later?
Personally, if the animal looks healthy I'm gonna eat it. When I start to see cougars with CWD symptoms, then I'll get concerned (90% of a cougars diet is deer / ungulate).

I am in an area in northern Idaho (Unit 14 & 15) that had a few mulie's test positive for CWD last year.
Idaho is showing concern over it spreading to other herds including elk. Even though IdF&G will send a free CWD test kit (You have to cut out the lymphnodes) they are saying test results will take 6 weeks. Sooo...if you pay to have a whitetail / elk butchered and a 20-30 pounds of specialty sausage, you are into it for $300 - $500. Then what do you do if the test is positive six weeks later?
Personally, if the animal looks healthy I'm gonna eat it. When I start to see cougars with CWD symptoms, then I'll get concerned (90% of a cougars diet is deer / ungulate).
👍🏻🇺🇸

Maybe It could become the next cv-19 " pandemic"

I wouldn't intentionally do it-- in CO there are areas you are required to get your animal tested-- if it pops hot they offer you another tag if you turn your animal in. They recommend not eating it just to be safe.

We used to drink from a hose, not wear our seat belts or bike helmets, and play outside in the dirt--- and we seem to still be alive----- "you do you"
The good o days! Haha

Here's a good article on CWD & humans: https://honest-food.net/chronic-wasting-disease-and-humans/

Summary:

Only BSE, mad cow disease, has jumped from another species to humans.

Humans have eaten deer, sheep and other animals who get prion diseases for millions of years and those diseases have not jumped to humans.

Testing may be available in your area. You may want to have your harvest tested before you consume it.

You need to make the decision.

Note: Hank Shaw is a an author, and on multiple social media platforms. If this helps at the very least give him a like - this is how he makes a living.
Good read! The link to that Calgary study in the article that found a "potential" pathway is a little concerning, but I also recall seeing some years back that human prions had a "loop" in the protein structure that more or less protected us from the cervid prions deforming ours. Not sure if mixing mouse with human DNA could have broken this loop and therefore given a false indication in their test, but I also haven't dug too far into the methodology or full results either.

Sheep have a version called scrapie. Been known about for 300 years. Lots of sheep eaten in that time. Deer can have CWD and not show symptoms. If it looks healthy, stay away from the brain ,spinal cord/fluid and small intestines, Basically a gutless quarter. I would use a disposable saw blade to cut the skull form the spine. I know someone with a loved one dealing with CJD now. Not know how he contacted it, if any. Another horrible disease only horrible people should have!

A deer with CWD will seem healthy for years but once it becomes visibly sick it dies very quickly. My dad's uncle, Max, was a big time deer hunter. He died of Critchfield Jacob's disease. The doctors theorized he contracted it from a cut on his hand about five years prior when he was cleaning the brain out of a buck. I don't know if this is legit but they suggested Critchfield Jacob's disease is CWD in humans. Watching him die, I wouldn't eat a deer with CWD.