Can you eat CWD deer

Here's a good article on CWD & humans: https://honest-food.net/chronic-wasting-disease-and-humans/

Summary:

Only BSE, mad cow disease, has jumped from another species to humans.

Humans have eaten deer, sheep and other animals who get prion diseases for millions of years and those diseases have not jumped to humans.

Testing may be available in your area. You may want to have your harvest tested before you consume it.

You need to make the decision.

Note: Hank Shaw is a an author, and on multiple social media platforms. If this helps at the very least give him a like - this is how he makes a living.

Actually, CWD is a prion (twisted) that is nearly impossible to neutralize. It is not a living organism in and of itself. It takes excess of 1800 degrees to kill it. Disinfectant won't kill it, chlorox won't kill it. It can be passed on to soil from urine or decaying deer and then transfer in growing plants at the site, so leaving it for coyotes and decay will not stop possible spread through other vectors mentioned.
The best way to deal with an infected carcass is to bury it deep enough as to not be uncovered or in a landfill that will bury it... but not a practical task for most folks.

It is NOT mad cow disease, but is in the family of MCD and Creutchfeld Jacob's disease, which are also misformed prions... one in bovines, the other is found in humans (CJD).

CWD is transmitted from animal to animal contact, ie: touching noses, etc or ingestion.

Blue tongue and other EHD (epizootic hemorrhagic disease) is tansmitted from biting midges. It is theorized that bucks seem to be more susceptible due to the thin skin on developing antlers with easy access to their bloodstream beneath the velvet.
Not killed, incinerated! Enough heat to completely destroy the prion molecule!

Missouri have been testing deer since the first positive results were found in the state. Mizzou labs have helped out conservation with the overwhelming test that come in each year. Mizzou and mdc have been working together to provide a in the field blood test kit for hunters in the near future. They are also working towards a cure.

My local club has a mdc agent every November put on a presentation to update us with infected areas and changes. Last year mdc has changed their tone about the risk of eating a cwd positive deer that showed no signs of health decline when it was harvested. They highly recommend not eating the deer meat. CDC had issued the same recommendation. I highly doubt cdc would link any human illnesses with deer right now to avoid mass panic.

Processing your own deer would be the safest route. Your meat can come in contact with infected deer at a processing place. Just my 2 cents.

I think they are up to 28 by now. It's a once a month thing I heard but wouldn't know since I am still unvaccinated

I think they are up to 28 by now. It's a once a month thing I heard but wouldn't know since I am still unvaccinated.
Seems like most of the people I know that are vaccinated have gotten COVID and had strong symptoms, I'm unvaxed got covid and had a fever and soar throat, my wife had a fever unvaxed. Now we have natural antibodies

Actually, CWD is a prion (twisted) that is nearly impossible to neutralize. It is not a living organism in and of itself. It takes excess of 1800 degrees to kill it. Disinfectant won't kill it, chlorox won't kill it. It can be passed on to soil from urine or decaying deer and then transfer in growing plants at the site, so leaving it for coyotes and decay will not stop possible spread through other vectors mentioned.
The best way to deal with an infected carcass is to bury it deep enough as to not be uncovered or in a landfill that will bury it... but not a practical task for most folks.

It is NOT mad cow disease, but is in the family of MCD and Creutchfeld Jacob's disease, which are also misformed prions... one in bovines, the other is found in humans (CJD).

CWD is transmitted from animal to animal contact, ie: touching noses, etc or ingestion.

Blue tongue and other EHD (epizootic hemorrhagic disease) is tansmitted from biting midges. It is theorized that bucks seem to be more susceptible due to the thin skin on developing antlers with easy access to their bloodstream beneath the velvet.
It's a protein, it can be eliminated way more easily than you are suggesting. It does however linger on surfaces for a long time if it's not cleaned properly. Usually in the lab we use a light acid to denature/ destroy the protein.

Based on my single experience observing a deer that was claimed to have advanced CWD I would definitely not eat a deer in that physical condition. It had the physical characteristics of a starving animal. When skinned the inner hide, and exposed fat/meat appeared dehydrated and off-color.

Last edited: