can i shoot berger out of my WSM?

Thanks dragman. I can't seat that far out because I want to use my mag. Or I would try that for sure.

-tank
if you were to just choose 1for of those loss to go off of and start improving on what would it be? I was thinking about loading some more at 60 the exact same then seating some a little deeper to see if it improves.. also I will be shooting off the led sled this time. Im not good enough off the bipod to be getting accurate data I think

Thanks dragman. I can't seat that far out because I want to use my mag. Or I would try that for sure.

-tank
if you were to just choose 1for of those loss to go off of and start improving on what would it be? I was thinking about loading some more at 60 the exact same then seating some a little deeper to see if it improves.. also I will be shooting off the led sled this time. Im not good enough off the bipod to be getting accurate data I think

Try the 200 primers for sure. They may reign in that flier and also tighten up your extreme spread in velocity. Personally I am trying to get away from max or close to max. I can tell you from experience that with RL17 you want to be about 1 to 1.5 grains below max if you plan to use this rifle in hot weather. Hunting season in colder months, max load would be the way to go. But the way the 59 and 59.5 grain groups grouped, I would try to tighten those up. You'll want to stay on your bipod. You need to practice from that position if you plan to use it for hunting. Make sure you preload the bipod by pushing into it with your toes. If you don't have an anti cant device, get one. This will help with keeping your gun level.

I loaded up 3 different loads at 60. One seated 1/4 turn deeper one 1/2 turn deeper and one with the #200 primers. Im going back out tonight to see how they shoot.

As for the bipod I have shot alot better in the prone off of it. Yesterday I was on the shooting bench with the bipod. So they didn't really grab, I couldn't consistently load the bipod on the bench and also I had forgotten my bag for the butt end of the gun.... for all I know someone else could have shorten sub MOA groups last night with the same loads. Somewhat frustrating but hopefully tonight shows alot of improvement
will let you all know what happens thanks again

try fed 215 match also. that is what I use in my short mag with fantastic results.

H-4831sc 67 grns
fed 215 primers
Berger 185 vld

2910fps with 3/8 inch groups at 100 yards.

they are seated to fit the mag. this rifle is an elk killing machine.

As for the bipod I have shot alot better in the prone off of it. Yesterday I was on the shooting bench with the bipod. So they didn't really grab, I couldn't consistently load the bipod on the bench
I have definitely learned that if you are shooting for group, you need to either use a proper bench rifle rest, or lay prone with a bipod. I have found that trying to do a load test with a bipod on a hard bench top just doesn't work very well. You get too much bounce. If you have to use a bipod on the bench, use a something firm, but soft under the feet. You wont have to pre-load, but they will behave more like lying on the ground in prone position.

thanks dragman and longrange for the loads.. ill have to try something else if tonights groups are as poor as last nights... im hoping its like tank said, and it was just the inconsistency or bounce from the bipod seated on the hardwood bench...
thinking about it i guess a 2inch and less group isnt TOO horrible with a poor rest? im really hoping this is the main problem. id just be happy to get the group under an inch for now. and really tinker with the load in the off season.

while i was at the bench last night i was getting frustrated and shot a group of my previous hornady load with the same results.. 1.5in group 2 were reasonably close with one lone flyer, a month ago i had shot under 3/4in group with this exact load... im really thinking my bipod on the bench was a poor choice

I have been re-reading some of the posts on this thread. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but have you done any serious testing with H4350? I finally got my heavy gun tuned up in time for the MN state IBS 1000 yard matches. I agged in the low 5 inch area (four, 10 shot groups) for the two days with the 215 HB. Also placed 4th ot 5th at the NAT's in HG with this combo. My backup LG shot a 5" ten shot group, backed up by 3.5 and 5" five shot groups at the MN state. ALL with the WSM using H4350 powder. As Tom Hanks once famously said..."they go together like peas and carrots".

If you did try it, and I missed it ....Never mind. :D

4x
i have only ever tried rl-17 this is the first gun i have ever loaded for and these are the first few loads with this gun... im very tempted to try it. i would like to hear more of your imput since your shooting similar guns and load to what i would like to be at

i shot again tonight fellas and same results... groups shrunk up a tiny bit but same story. 2 shots very close one flyer low to the right... i was shooting off very nice bags and i even had my friend who has been shooting long guns alot more than me. he got almost the EXACT same group as me... the groups are almost all the same (starting high and working low and to the right with the next shots) except the further seated the bullet the larger the group got.
i did chrono both loads today for the fun of the.. the 165 hornadys were shooting avg 3250fps and the 185 bergers are 2880fps the speeds are good but the accuracy is not there with either bullet.

the best group i got was the berger seated as far out at the mag will allow with 60gr of rl-17 it shot just under 1.5inches in the same diagnal line working low right.

im not sure if i go to drastic measures or if i need to start looking into working on the gun a little more? i know alot of ppl dont like the sps stock (some say they shoot pretty good with it) i have a basically factory sps with a little trigger work

In the WSM's I've loaded I found the R17 better for the lighter bullets in the cal, I got no love from it from the heavier end. When I get two bullet stacking up then slinging a third I load up a primer test and shoot the load with every primer I have and more times than not I have a primer that will bring that third one back in.

so do I play with primers or do I cut my losses or do I start all over with a powder that is more tested?

Does anyone have an exact load they will share for their 300wsm (preferably rem 700) for a berger 1865vld? I am almost out of rl17 so I wouldn't mind changing powder. But seating depth would be nice if you have the same magazine as me and chrono speeds? Someones tested and proven load would be great. Im getting a little frustrated at this point

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.